What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Has anyone ever repaired and resprayed their alloys themselves?

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Hi guys, my alloys have a bit of kerbing around the outside (done by the previous owner might I add) and annoyingly, have some odd discoloured patches here and there that don't go away, even when cleaned.

I found a video online that actually makes repairing and spraying them yourself look fairly straight forward and I quite enjoy a wee project, but I'm also a little terrified of f**king up my alloys beyond repair, has anyone ever done this themselves?

Here's the video tutorial I found:

I think the bit that puts me off/gives me the fear is sanding them down, everything else looks fairly straightforward.

Thanks
Kris

lfe

Reaction score
Mine also have some small bite on the border and that cannot be fixed by grinding and painting, you have to add aluminum with welding.

It is also necessary to verify that the rim rotates perfectly round, especially the inner ring, if it has hit potholes or curbs it may have been deformed, this is also fixed in specialized workshops

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Mine still look a damn site better than the video I posted tbf. It's mainly just kerb rash scrapes and weird faded patches on the finish, no large chunks and definitely no warping off the wheel itself.

Flanners

Reaction score
Got a couple of scuffs on diamond cut alloy.....followed post on here and used wet and dry course then fine......a good result you would be hard pushed to see it, saved me a refurb.

I like my wheels to look good so on other cars have always paid for wheel refurb and paint to get an OE look.

Last edited:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
There’s no real harm in having a go yourself if you’re not happy with the result you can always have them professionally refurbed there are even companies that will do it on your drive!
mid you do have a go post some before and after photos for us it may help others in the future

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
There’s no real harm in having a go yourself if you’re not happy with the result you can always have them professionally refurbed there are even companies that will do it on your drive!
mid you do have a go post some before and after photos for us it may help others in the future
That's a fair shout tbf, doubt I could f**k them up so badly that a pro couldn't sort them out :)

I'd defo do some before and after photos

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Update: I bottled it and took them to a pro. Nonetheless, no regrets with the end product.

Wheels done in glitter bronze and the calipers in red - really makes the car pop imo.

Appreciate it's maybe not for everyone, but I'm chuffed to bits.

Attachments

• DSC_4670~2.jpg
    DSC_4670~2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_4676.jpg
    DSC_4676.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_4672.jpg
    DSC_4672.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_4673.jpg
    DSC_4673.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_4671.jpg
    DSC_4671.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230525_170226744.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230525_170226744.MP.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230525_170239540.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230525_170239540.MP.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230525_170208242.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230525_170208242.MP.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230525_170153596.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230525_170153596.MP.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 12

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Yeah did this myself on an Alfa Romeo 159 19" wheel, I have to say, I enjoyed the experience and it turned out great BUT, the more complex the wheel design then the more of a pain in the ass it is to sand and fill etc.

So, although I was happy with the end result, I wouldn't do again lol.

Below is what the wheel looked like, then part way through process, then finished product. (photo quality varies, different phone cam for the first one but you get the idea)

Wheel1.jpg
Wheel2.jpg
Wheel3.jpg

Kirk

Reaction score
Hi guys, my alloys have a bit of kerbing around the outside (done by the previous owner might I add) and annoyingly, have some odd discoloured patches here and there that don't go away, even when cleaned.

I found a video online that actually makes repairing and spraying them yourself look fairly straight forward and I quite enjoy a wee project, but I'm also a little terrified of f**king up my alloys beyond repair, has anyone ever done this themselves?

Here's the video tutorial I found:

I think the bit that puts me off/gives me the fear is sanding them down, everything else looks fairly straightforward.

Thanks
Kris
Try some Rimblades. A simple rubber strip which blend well with the wheels but help prevent the scratching of the alloy

Mikefrank

Reaction score
I had a guy come to the house he removes the wheels and sands/Painted in back of his van…
As for getting rid of curb damage couldn’t fault him but the finish on the paint reminds me of Halfords car wheel spray wasn’t overly impressed…
Came in at £40 per wheel….Cant really grumble at that price….