What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Hard Brake Pedal

RoCZy

Reaction score
I have read what I have found on this forum regarding this issue, and also downloaded the workshop manual. Without getting too involved with all possible issues, I have two questions:-

1. With the car switched off, should I hear any noise whatsoever from the passenger footwell when I attempt to depress the brake pedal.

2. The manual shows a tool for checking the vacuum value, which I do not have. Although I can't check the value, should I at least be aware of the vacuum by taking off the snap-in union and putting my finger over the pump pipe end? In other words, I don't know what is normal! 😂

Thanks.

Attachments

• Vacuum pump pipe.jpg
    Vacuum pump pipe.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 6

Pedro

Reaction score
If its a hissing noise its very possibly a Vacuum leak check brake pedal conformity after switching engine off pump the brake pedal which should become harder after 2-3 pumps & hold the pressure as in no travel on the pedal

RoCZy

Reaction score
Hi Pedro, Thanks for getting back to me.

It is a sort of hissing noise for the first couple of seconds but I have certainly heard similar in other cars. The pedal is pretty hard with very little movement both before and after the engine is started. After the very short pedal travel it remains solid, but with no boost to the brakes, if that makes sense.

Thanks.

Pedro

Reaction score
Assuming you mean when the engine is on & off you have full brake pressure if the pedal begins to feel slightly spongy when braking it could point to a Vac leak ?
When you take that Vac hose off after the engine has run you may hear air escaping as its depressurising the system

RoCZy

Reaction score
There is no 'life' in the brake pedal...it has a very short movement to solid with or without the engine running. When driving and braking there is no fade and it remains solid but without the extra braking ability from the servo.

Going back to the vacuum pump, should I somehow know it's at least working when the snap-in union is taken off the end pipe?

Pedro

Reaction score
I think you need a vac pump gauge as it may be the pump is at fault or the servo could be the issue if the peddle is solid then there is little or no Vacuum to the system but that is ruling out any Vac leak in the pipes etc
I remember changing 2 servos on a Fiat with the same problems which cured it but it needs to be tested for the cause of why there is no normal operational brake pressure at the pedal

Attachments

• Brake vac pressure.PNG
    Brake vac pressure.PNG
    70 KB · Views: 0