What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Handbrake and brakes noise, groaning

rcz22

Reaction score
Hi

The other day I washed our RCZ automatic. A 2013 car we've had for over 3 years, FHS via main dealer. Low miles about 20k.
Hardly driven recent months due to 6 weeks holidays and when we return home on March 4th, started working from home.
As I said, washed the car, left parked for a couple of days, decided to give her a small spin and as I put her into D, released
the handbrake and gently move
off the drive I felt as though someone had tied a chain to the back of the car and a slight more accelerator and a bang, metallic type
as though a chain had broken. Read up here posts stating same when car parked with wet discs, washed and not driven for a day or two. noted similar before but nothing as dramatic as this. Drive is level, should I leave it in parked on the drive and no handbrake?

Another thing, got her mot couple of months ago, all pads, discs etc all good. But I note at gentle braking past year a groan that appears to be coming from front passengers side. My wife and daughter notice nothing especially my daughter as she has the radio on higher than i do. i notice things before so-called mechanics do. If it was a stone/etc stuck in calipers etc I think mot people would have picked up. The car drives well, had the timing chain change over a year ago as very slight rattle then, car does not pull or judder when braking and seems to have full braking ability.

Also, only I noted this that when car is parked up but engine running, touch the brake pedal, clonking noise, like two metal plates banging but again the wife and daughter not note this.

Summary

Anything re locked handbrake, solutions other than park it on drive without handbrake when washed and colder, winter months and when not daily drive?

Footbrake clonk appears to come from front passengers footwell when brake toughed engine running but car in neutral

Graons from front passenger side when pedal brake pedal lightly touched and ideas?

Thanks

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I get the seized pads scenario regularly after washing and leaving a few days the solution is to take the car for a quick spin after washing just a mile or so around my village is enough just enough to dry the brakes off.
As for the grinding and pads clonking can be attributed to low miles and short journeys with plenty of frequent washing brakes rust up quite quickly when not used enough.

rcz22

Reaction score
Cheers Neil - I actually did drive the car around the close a couple of hundred yards and light braking - will do next time. We don't often wash the car
but will do next time.

Cheers re the groaning as well. Will give it a boyish run tomorrow as should be dry see how she goes.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers Neil - I actually did drive the car around the close a couple of hundred yards and light braking - will do next time. We don't often wash the car
but will do next time.

Cheers re the groaning as well. Will give it a boyish run tomorrow as should be dry see how she goes.

A mate of mine has mentioned there’s a product that you can water down and it’s safe to spray on your brakes after washing that stops your brakes from rusting. I’ll try and get the name of it.

rcz22

Reaction score
thanks been looking for a few mins re this stuff but can't find. we will drive her around but if stuff is there at reasonable price may buy and use after the drive.
Thanks.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks been looking for a few mins re this stuff but can't find. we will drive her around but if stuff is there at reasonable price may buy and use after the drive.
Thanks.

It’s called bilt hamber atom Mac it should be watered down 5% product so 50ml to 1L water it can be sprayed on chassis to stop corrosion also.