What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Full Size Spare Alloy

A

Anonymous

Got a full size 18" alloy, tyre and jack set and this is how it went...

Original wheel over the large GT brake discs:

New spare alloy fits over the brakes!!! :thumbup: Don't know why I thought it wouldn't??? :eusa-think:

New 308 jack set (in a moulded plastic case):

...and a side shot just so you can get an idea of how tall the jack set is:

The original RCZ tyre kit:

to be continued... (can't add any more pictures in this post)

Attachments

• DSC03614_1.jpg
    DSC03614_1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 2,002
  • DSC03613_1.jpg
    DSC03613_1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 2,002
  • DSC03616_1.jpg
    DSC03616_1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 2,002
  • DSC03617_1.jpg
    DSC03617_1.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 2,002
  • DSC03619_1.jpg
    DSC03619_1.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 2,002
A

Anonymous

The new alloy with tyre (235/45 R18) fully inflated:

and with the jack set and the original compressor wrapped in foam wrap (save it rattling):

and just to give you an idea the tyre sits proud of the boot floor by about 1cm but not enough to cause a noticeable difference once the carpet floor is put back. Plus the alloy won't get scratched because it's the tyre that's in contact with the bottom of the spare wheel well:

Good points:
- It all fits perfectly
- Peace of mind knowing I won't have to use the compressor to repair the tyre
- The tyre can be stored fully inflated
- Can be used to replace a front or back wheel
- No reduced speed limit

Bad points:
- The wheel and tyre together weigh 23KG!!! Not sure how this will affect the handling, but I do know how it will affect the fuel economy
- You have to completely remove the carpet floor to get the wheel out

Attachments

• DSC03620_1.jpg
    DSC03620_1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,999
  • DSC03621_1.jpg
    DSC03621_1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,999
  • DSC03622_1.jpg
    DSC03622_1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,999
A

Anonymous

This report is all in line with the flyer that I picked up at HQ. They stated that the 19" wheel would need to be deflated to approx 1 bar in order to fit. Unlike the 18" that could be stored fully inflated. I would be interested to know if the total bill was between £235.03 & £309.06 as reported. I had not considered that the handling would be affected, but the benefits of a spare wheel offset the the drop in fuel efficiency for me.

Good information though.

A

Anonymous

I prefer this option to the jag space safer, as it allows me to remove a wheel and leave one for the wheel repair man to do his bit on any kerbed one. Already have one that is chipped due to the tyre man not being as careful as he could have been when he recently repaired a couple of punctures that I'd had.
Also could you tell me , is that a torque wrench that I can see in the tool kit?

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
This report is all in line with the flyer that I picked up at HQ. They stated that the 19" wheel would need to be deflated to approx 1 bar in order to fit. Unlike the 18" that could be stored fully inflated. I would be interested to know if the total bill was between £235.03 & £309.06 as reported. I had not considered that the handling would be affected, but the benefits of a spare wheel offset the the drop in fuel efficiency for me.

Good information though.
The wheel, tyre (part worn Pirelli PZero Nero) and jack set all separately off ebay, local fitter charged £10 to fit the tyre. All in £130.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
I prefer this option to the jag space safer, as it allows me to remove a wheel and leave one for the wheel repair man to do his bit on any kerbed one. Already have one that is chipped due to the tyre man not being as careful as he could have been when he recently repaired a couple of punctures that I'd had.
Also could you tell me , is that a torque wrench that I can see in the tool kit?

Yeah I've noticed that given the heavy machinery involved they might consider being a bit more careful with the wheels when changing the tyres.

The tool kit (from the 3rd picture) came with a towing eye, jack, (yellow) tool for removing the dust caps from the wheel bolts, a torque wrench (not a fan of the design, it has a curved flat section like a handle, only problem is that it curves in, towards the alloy when you're turning), and the metal rod at the bottom I have no idea what that is???

There is a small deep unused box section between the jack and the torque wrench (in the picture) I've padded it out with left over foam wrap to keep other bits in (like a torch).

A

Anonymous

a low cost solution to a spare wheel problem khatkar-simples

A

Anonymous

bee said:
Thats great for one person as Genuine RCZ wheels on Ebay are like rocking horse poo!!!!

A

Anonymous

bee said:
thanks!

...marketing genius adding a consanant after a word and embedding an image of a meerkat in the national psychi (correct spelling?), still makes me smile though!

Jas

A

Anonymous

mikeyv60 said:
bee said:
Thats great for one person as Genuine RCZ wheels on Ebay are like rocking horse poo!!!!

Yep I can concur. I'd contemplated buying any new/used 18" alloy as the space saver option was looking a bit hit and miss, it was just by chance that an original peugeot wheel was up for grabs. Plus I can't believe the number of part worn tyres out there, some in sets and decent brands too. The one I got was a Pirelli PZero Nero. The same for the peugeot jack sets I got the 308 version in a plastic case, but there's also the 407/8?? version too which comes was a foam case. Nice to see that a reasonable price option can be put together from all the bits out there.

A

Anonymous

khatkar said:
OO58RON said:

Yeah I've noticed that given the heavy machinery involved they might consider being a bit more careful with the wheels when changing the tyres.

The tool kit (from the 3rd picture) came with a towing eye, jack, (yellow) tool for removing the dust caps from the wheel bolts, a torque wrench (not a fan of the design, it has a curved flat section like a handle, only problem is that it curves in, towards the alloy when you're turning), and the metal rod at the bottom I have no idea what that is???

There is a small deep unused box section between the jack and the torque wrench (in the picture) I've padded it out with left over foam wrap to keep other bits in (like a torch).

"and the metal rod at the bottom I have no idea what that is???
This is a wheel guide ie allows you to support and allign the wheel bolt holes up as the wheel is very heavy

A

Anonymous

Mikey said:
khatkar said:
OO58RON said:

"and the metal rod at the bottom I have no idea what that is???
This is a wheel guide ie allows you to support and allign the wheel bolt holes up as the wheel is very heavy

Excellent thanks for that. Cheers, Jas