What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Fuel brand of choice (diesels) .....

A

Anonymous

Do any of you HDi-ers have a fuel you (or should I say 'car') prefer?

When I picked up mine, I filled up with BP Ultimate diesel (as a treat - what a bl$$dy price!) but the other day I filled up with Tesco (as I needed and I was passing!).

This morning I think the car's feeling really lumpy at low speeds, especially when it was cold when I left the house (it was only 3C!!) but even sitting in traffic at idling/crawling I thought she was a bit off. :helpme:

Could it be the 'cheaper' fuel or the cold morning - hopefully not the latter or I'll have to put up with it until Easter!

My old 207 was quite happy to crawl along in 1st with no throttle, but this is a different beast, I thought she was gonna stall on me a couple of times.......

Maybe something I'll just have to get used to with having more power, I guess she's a bit higher geared than my 207 was too......

Any opinions welcome :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Is that through choice Lyndsey? Or 'cos Shell is convenient for you?

Shame there aren't any other responses to this :( will just have to wait until I need to refill and put BP Ultimate in again and see if it improves......

A

Anonymous

I only ever use BP Ultimate. I travel out of my way to get it, but I believe that it is worth the extra effort and price. In my opinion supermarket fuel is not as good. They buy the basic fuel from the refinery, whereas the branded fuels all have their own unique "recipe" they add various additives that improve the fuel in different ways. We have in my opinion a high performance engine and so I prefer only to use high performance fuel. Not cheap nasty basic supermarket stuff.

A

Anonymous

So you reckon the cheap fuel might be the 'problem'? Like I say I never noticed this last week when I had the ultimate. Bit of a pest when it's ~10p/L difference! Might have to be BP Ultimate or Shell in future.

My OH's Focus RS doesn't like crawling in traffic either, but I put it down to the high powered petrol engine and sensitive throttle! My RCZ is a fair difference in power compared to the 207 and wondered if this was normal.

Will find out for certain next time I fill up. If there's no change then I'll mention it at 6 week check.

A

Anonymous

The difference between supermarket and branded fuel is immense. You will notice a difference between standard branded versus supermarket. If price is important I would suggest 3 tanks of standard branded to 1 tank of premium branded but steer clear of supermarket budget fuel

RCZ1

Reaction score
donnaj1dlh said:
So you reckon the cheap fuel might be the 'problem'? Like I say I never noticed this last week when I had the ultimate. Bit of a pest when it's ~10p/L difference! Might have to be BP Ultimate or Shell in future.

My OH's Focus RS doesn't like crawling in traffic either, but I put it down to the high powered petrol engine and sensitive throttle! My RCZ is a fair difference in power compared to the 207 and wondered if this was normal.

Will find out for certain next time I fill up. If there's no change then I'll mention it at 6 week check.

Donna I always use Supermarket petrol (ASDA) and I've never noticed anything untowards and I've always got very good fuel economy too. You could call me tight, but I am a yorkshire lassy :thumbup: I do have a petrol engine too, if that makes a difference :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1, no you having petrol makes little difference. I would not be prepared to use your brand of fuel if they offered a free tank full. Personally I will only use branded and in Pearl2 premium branded. There is a difference and if you was to try it you would discover a more responsive and fuel efficient Pearl. I spoke at length to a guy from work on this subject, he too is a convert to branded fuel. He too swore by supermaket fuel and believed it to be good but no longer

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Maybe one day I will give BP Ultimate a whirl and do a comparison :thumbup:
You would see two immediate differences, better MPG and a livelier more responsive engine. :thumbup:
Give it a go you'll enjoy the new car feel :beer:

A

Anonymous

higher octane fuel no matter diesel or petrol will run more efficiently in your car but wont make it go faster end of.fifth gear filled up a ferrari F1 car with unleaded ran a few laps timed it then used the fuel they normally do an even higher octane than 98 octane there was no difference in performance times barring tenths of seconds,
donna remap your diesel if you wont greater fuel economy and far better performance for £300

A

Anonymous

Nobody has suggested that a higher octane fuel will make the car go faster, merely that it is livelier and more responsive.

Hatman

Reaction score
Done 14k in mine on Asda, filled up on what I can only describe as the most expensive derv once. This was for the journey home from the Coventry meet. No difference whatsoever economy/performance and certainty would not spend an additional 10p ltr.

A

Anonymous

Sainsburys fuel for me for 3 reasons.

Never seen a difference with premium brands
It's cheaper, and most iportantly
I get enough Nectar points throughout the year to buy my beer at Christmas...

A

Anonymous

Hi , newby to this forum. I usually use a tank of diesel a week in my 207 sport and use the local Esso garage. I usually average 62 ~64 mpg. Two weeks ago I filled up at Tesco Durham and struggled to get 58 mpg with very careful driving. Last week I used Asda due to the tank being extremely low and have got back to the 62 ~64 mpg mark this week. It might be the fact that Tesco have purchased the cheapest fuel with the lowest amount of additives and consequently customers looking for the cheapest fuel end up suffer with poorer mpg.

Hatman

Reaction score
[quote="Peter Walker" It might be the fact that Tesco have purchased the cheapest fuel with the lowest amount of additives and consequently customers looking for the cheapest fuel end up suffer with poorer mpg.[/quote]

I avoid Tescos, just about sums them up. Loss in Market share, increase in phofits.