What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

FROZEN Brake Fluid!!!

A

Anonymous

Just had our RCZ recovered to the dealership in Peterborough with....Wait for it..... frozen brake fluid!!! It must have a large amount of water in the system, it popped the reservoir cap off and you could not push down the brake peddle, warning on the dash of loss of braking system. I never would have thought this possible. Fluid was changed in August 2012 during service... Anyone else ever seen or heard of this???

A

Anonymous

Tangellow said:
Just had our RCZ recovered to the dealership in Peterborough with....Wait for it..... frozen brake fluid!!! It must have a large amount of water in the system, it popped the reservoir cap off and you could not push down the brake peddle, warning on the dash of loss of braking system. I never would have thought this possible. Fluid was changed in August 2012 during service... Anyone else ever seen or heard of this???
No never :crazy:

A

Anonymous

Brake fluid shouldn't freeze til well into the tens of minus figures, something very not right with your fluid I'd say, hope it gets sorted properly soon.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air) & starts this process as soon as it is exposed to air.

This is why you should change fluid every time you change pads. Using new fluid from a sealed container.

For yours to be this way so soon after a change, if there are no system leaks/poorly fitting reservoir cap, it is likely that the fluid used was old, from an opened container exposed to air.

Many garages use drums with taps attached or bag-in-a-box bulk supply - if these are not properly sealed the fluid can go off with time.

The fluid itself wont have frozen, but the absorbed water can if a high enough %.

System needs flushing & fully replacing+bleeding with new dot4/dot 5.1 fluid

:twisted:

Tomas_90

Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with freezing brake fluids nor has anyone else i know. And temperatures here go down to -30ºC and sometimes more. Had to have been some water in it.