What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Found a nice RCZ

Buddy

Reaction score
On Monday I bought a RCZ THP200 but warning light came on before I reached home stating engine fault, repair needed, returned to the garage on Tuesday and the code reader was showing faults concerning the turbo accepted a refund as it could be some time before it is sorted. After getting the refund I walked to another dealer and on their forecourt was a THP156 GT in very nice condition and after a test drive we agreed a price and I drove it away. I had looked for a 200 for some time but the 156 will suit me for a while and I can decide whether to go for another 200 or not, I'm quite pleased with the way the 156 goes, maybe a little more acceleration as I get to know it, I'm unsure which fuel to use 95octane or 98?

Pedro

Reaction score
The reckoning is the 156 should run ok on 95 the 200 & R need a bit more whack in the tank so run on the 99 Ron

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
I run mine on Premier or plus fuel in both my Hdi s and my petrol might be a bit more expensive than the normal fuel but does make a difference in performance....
Hope this helps you out...
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to run it on premium fuel it really does make a difference, and rather than looking for a 200 later on just get the 156 remapped you’ll see a massive difference and better fuel economy too

NF7

Reaction score
I don't know guys what kind of fuel you use in the UK and how it is mixed, but this myth of 95/100 is strictly placebo in most of Europe.

In Slovenia, Austria, Germany and Netherlands (did not check other countries, as I have no friends working at gas stations in other countries), the 95 and the premium gasoline (98 or 100) come from the same tank in the ground (which is 95).

They do not have a separate 95, 98/100 and diesel tanks - only 95 and diesel. The additives are added via the handle while pumping gas. This additives are usually of the lowest quality and value. If you want "better cleaning" of your engine, just buy an additive on Amazon once every three months and put in the regular 95 (or get the car to almost empty and fill full tank of 98/100 every 3 months).

This placebo effect is equivalent to you guys sitting in a bar and one of you saying, my iPhone just got really slow. Then all of you would check your phones and believe that your phones also got slow.

How I found out? I was regularly putting 98/100 until I asked my girlfriend to fill the car up once. She saw 95 on the cover and pumped 95. It was the fuck*** same. I only found out because when I was cleaning the car next week, I found the receipt for 95. There is absolutely no more "umph" in the engine if you put in 100 instead of cheaper 95.

Additionally, if you remap you get better fuel economy due to the fact that the car is more responsive so you are easier on the gas pedal on average with the same driving technique as before.

Flanners

Reaction score
The main difference in the UK (and elsewhere) apart from additives packages is E5 and E10...the premium is E5 with less up to 5% (or can be no) ethanol in a higher octane fuel. I'm not sure your analysis that it's all the same product is true....even if the results for some using higher octane fuel are a possible placebo effect. There is a difference between 95 octane and higher octane fuels...higher octane fuels are harder to ignite take more pressure to do so burns hotter more efficiently so guess that's why performance and 're mapped car (with ECUs that can advance ignition timing etc) and manufacturers/owners recommend it. Marketing BS aside I put higher octane fuel in my R.

Last edited:

NF7

Reaction score
We have 95 and 100 both at E5. So from that perspective it makes no difference.

I have 200THP and 95 and 100 make no difference in responsivenes, better engine running or consumption. If you have a engine that is running as it should, it makes no difference as it’s mostly a “knocking” index, as 100 offers better protection from knocking.

While it’s true that higher octane is better for high performance engines, but neither RCZ version actually qualifies as the Prince Engine was made with 95 in mind.

Buddy

Reaction score
I have seen so many discussions on Fuel octane/fuel quality over the years and in some cars it makes a difference in the performance, I recently tried 97octane from a station that I don't normally use in a car that I usually use 98/100 and the consumption was 15% worse Ok, I won't be using that station again. But there is a difference in fuels even octane on a same brand and I once topped up in the Netherlands and drove to Stuttgart, the car was not running normally, I filled up in Stuttgart with 100 and could tell the difference as soon as I started the engine, bad fuel or? Both stations were Shell. I've also found Jet 95 to be as good as Shell 98 in a Z4 I had, last night I filled the tank of the RCZ at my local station with 95 to see how much it would take, it showed that the reserve is about 8ltr, I'm not yet used to the travel computer so the clock wasn't at zero but I'll see what it does on mixed driving over the next couple of weeks, I'll repeat the test on a better fuel and see if it gives me a better result or not. As for the remapping who is the best place to talk to and how much does it cost, I've driven a lot of performance cars and this RCZ doesn't feel to be only around the 150hp range is there any way of telling something where someone may have left their mark as it were?