What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Expensive Air Conditioning Problem

Aussiercz

Reaction score
In Oz so aircon is vital. Lost cooling effect and standard regas (plus fix leaking refrigerant fill valve) fixed it for while. However problem rapidly returned and further investigation has revealed that there is a leak in the evaporator. To fix it the dash has to be removed and the job is likely going to cost $3000 AUD! Apparently it is a common problem on the 308 range ( on which our RCZs are based) Just a heads up that many of you will be faced with the same issue. Maybe you can get away without fixing it in the UK😀

Aussiercz

Reaction score
I see that I’m coming up as a new member. I actually joined in 2010 while waiting for my RCZ to arrive. It was the first ordered one to arrive in Australia (Dec2010)

Pedro

Reaction score
Bad luck having that fail but we should all be aware all modern cars are the same with everything built in behind the dash I recently saw a 308 in a MD near me with the heater blower gone & after they got it out all you could see was the bulkhead & yards of wiring & plugs & sockets !

pauld

Reaction score
Hi, I have a leak in the evaporator too, just wondering if you have any helpful hints about getting to the evaporator so i can save some dollars on the repair

Aussiercz

Reaction score
No tips I’m afraid. Was done at an air conditioning business. All I know is that it is a pig of a job and I had trouble finding someone who was willing to do it. My normal car servicing place didn’t want to know about it. They also broke the clockspring getting the dash off and had to buy a replacement from a wrecker in Germany which,
with Covid, took forever to arrive. The other issue is you’ve basically got to reprogram the electronics from scratch so there is always the likelihood of something going awry. I’m just hoping like hell the evaporator doesn’t ever need replacing again.

Zbop

Reaction score
How have your repairs gone? I’ve just been told that I need to get the Evaporator Coil and Condenser Coil replaced and that they have to remove the whole dash to do this. I’m really nervous and my 2012 RCZ is my “special car” in immaculate condition. Time and unfortunately being my “special car” also contributed to the issue. I’ve done very little km’s in it over the past couple of years due to covid and not using it as a run-about and wasn’t aware that I should have been taking it out for a spin once a week or so (it’s only done about 74,000 kms). Also they say that they can’t find any parts in NZ and have to look overseas for these - do you think after market parts are ok for this?

Since purchasing my car 5 years ago this forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me.

pauld

Reaction score
How have your repairs gone? I’ve just been told that I need to get the Evaporator Coil and Condenser Coil replaced and that they have to remove the whole dash to do this. I’m really nervous and my 2012 RCZ is my “special car” in immaculate condition. Time and unfortunately being my “special car” also contributed to the issue. I’ve done very little km’s in it over the past couple of years due to covid and not using it as a run-about and wasn’t aware that I should have been taking it out for a spin once a week or so (it’s only done about 74,000 kms). Also they say that they can’t find any parts in NZ and have to look overseas for these - do you think after market parts are ok for this?

Since purchasing my car 5 years ago this forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me.
Hi Zbop,

I have been having the same feeling as you - I don't really want them ripping the dash out so I have not done the repair yet (not to mention the cost) . I don't know about aftermarket being OK - most of the RCZ components are found in other Peugeots so I find that a little confusing . sorry to be of little help

Zbop

Reaction score

Hi Zbop,

I have been having the same feeling as you - I don't really want them ripping the dash out so I have not done the repair yet (not to mention the cost) . I don't know about aftermarket being OK - most of the RCZ components are found in other Peugeots so I find that a little confusing . sorry to be of little help
They've managed to find the parts in NZ - one is the same as used in a 308 and the other is same as a Citroen. They say it will take 2-3 days but they won't rush it as they haven't worked on an RCZ before. I had a good chat with the dealership that I've use for previous servicing and who recommended me going to this particular company (they deal with high quality cars) and they haven't ever had any complaints back from them, so I guess I've just got to trust them. As it's not my run-about, most of the time I'm driving around 100km/h and that's not very pleasant with the windows down :)