What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine warm up time

A

Anonymous

Mine seems to take an age to reach normal operating temperature. On my normal commute (just as example) I have a 1 mile 30mph drive to the dual carriageway and it's a further 4 miles of 70mph before the engine reaches normal temperature, does that sound normal?

By direct comparison, both my old MG ZS and my other current car (Honda HR-V) were/are at full temperature after that first mile. Are engine temperatures measured in different locations/components by different manufacturers maybe?

Sent from my wireless telephonic device using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

In general Diesel engines need MUCH longer to warm up, so it would be good to know what engine you have. And the outside temperatures of course.

And, modern Diesel engines often have internal (electrical) heating to speed things up.

Some numbers with temperatures around 10 degrees Celsius on a normal countryside road:

Ford 3 ltr petrol engine: about 2 minutes
Audi 2.7 ltr Diesel (without heating): more than 10 minutes :roll:
Audi 3.0 ltr Diesel (WITH heating): about 3 minutes
RCZ THP 200 petrol: about 2 minutes

Unfortunately I don't have numbers from older cars because I lived in a city back then. Times in stop'n'go traffic are completely different.

A

Anonymous

Ash yes, I should've said! I have the THP 200 engine and the others I was comparing to were also petrol (1.8 in the ZS and 1.6 in the HR-V) And yes the outside temperatures at the moment are about 10 degrees C.

That's a useful list of cars, thanks. Interesting that the RCZ you quote is around 2 mins, that's how long it takes to get to the dual carriageway I mentioned and is comparable to my HR-V and old ZS. It does suggest there may be something amiss, think I'll drop by my dealer and book it in to be checked.

A

Anonymous

If your times are +/- 1 minute in the same ballpark I wouldn't worry, that's perfectly normal.

If your times are significant longer it's most probably the secondary (or as it's called here, the big-) cooling circuit opening too early, in other words a sensor fault.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I could understand a little variation. But I'm more inclined to think there could be something amiss as mine is quite far beyond that I feel. The temperature gauge hasn't even begun to move by the time I get to the roundabout where the ZS/HR-V were/are at full operating temperature.

It's still better than that Audi diesel you mentioned though, 10 mins is an awfully long time :shock:

A

Anonymous

Mine takes a while to get up to temperature too (mine's a 2.0 HDi), but a good question is how high do you have your heating up? I find that mine warms up significantly faster if I knock the heating down a bit and then turn it up after a few minutes once the needle starts to move a bit. :)

A

Anonymous

Diesel engines need to be worked in order to heat up.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

lufcfan said:
Mine takes a while to get up to temperature too (mine's a 2.0 HDi), but a good question is how high do you have your heating up? I find that mine warms up significantly faster if I knock the heating down a bit and then turn it up after a few minutes once the needle starts to move a bit. :)
Oh I'm one of those freaks that rarely feels the cold so it's usually set at 17/18 during the winter and I imagine it'll be a lot less than that if we ever get a summer :cool: