What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine Problems again

A

Anonymous

Hi All

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I've been lurking enjoying the banter!

Anyway, recently my RCZ's been having momentary losses of power when I'm in the 1.75k rev range (either cruising in 6th) or slowly accelerating up in 5th). A slight little bump and then all is fine when i rev higher.

Anyway, I took the car in for 3 yr service last week to have this looked at and also have a sticking nearside mirror fixed (intermittently it won't dip when in reverse). Anyway, sod's law, the mirror worked and as for the engine, they said there was an engine knock fault code and to run a couple of tanks of premium unleaded through it. I was a bit dubious but left it there.

I got home and low and behold, the mirror was sticking. Took the car back in yesterday for them to look at this, and I mentioned the engine thing hadn't improved.

To cut a long story short, they can't find a fault with the mirror though they have cleaned some corroded contacts. They've found a leaking water pump which will be replaced. As for the engine, they now seem very concerned about a strange noise. The timing is slightly out and they are going to replace the timing chain and see if anything improves. However, I'm dubious this is the fault since I've had this go 18 months ago and they replaced it, and I had none of the strange loss of power I'm getting now.

Anyway - we'll see what happens, but I am concerned that the timing chain needs replacing every 18 months on a car doing 10k per year. What's gonna happen in another 18 months

Also, Thank god I got it back in 4 days before my warranty expires!!!!!
:lol:

I'll update when I know more,

dave

A

Anonymous

eyetiepie said:
an engine knock fault code and to run a couple of tanks of premium unleaded through it.

I posted an article on here a while back regarding engine knock and the long term damage knock causes to an engine. Google Engine Knock\Detonation and see if you can relate.

A

Anonymous

BTW - if it is engine knock, the low rpm slump is the car pulling timing to prevent knock. Remember the THP200\156 overboosts hectic from low RPM to create that gorgeous torque plateau. So even though you think low rpms, engine cant be working hard, these motors produce maximum torque from under 2000rpm!

A

Anonymous

maX83

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if this quite describes the problem I'm having, but it made interesting reading.

Guess I'm just going to have to sit tight and see what they say after they replace the timing chain (again)! I'm almost hoping that that isn't the issue so they can fix the underlying problem.

I'm fairly p*ssed off about it all, but just so glad I squeezed it in under warranty.

thx again

dave