What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine mounts

Goatz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a persistent noise coming from what sounds like it’s between the driver side wheel arch and the centre of the engine bay. Sounds like hollow plastic rattling/knocking. Not loud, but frequent, mostly noticeable and low speed on uneven roads, although slightly noticeon tick over.
I have bounced on all the suspension and can’t replicate the sound, I have also silicone sprayed all the suspension bushings to no avail.
I have noticed the engine moves a fair about in the bay when revving.
All of this leads me to think that the engine mounts are the culprit. Also I believe this is a common fault with the RCZ.
Does anyone know what the best replacement mounts would be? How about which engine mount is known to fail? Any rough estimates on cost to get fixed at the garage?

Many thanks in advance

Pedro

Reaction score
Apparently the top mount on the Chain side is suspected to be the one to suffer on the earlier models as there were heat problems with this mount (they used to melt!} but if the motor is dancing then its the mounting/s

Goatz

Reaction score
Hi Pedro, thanks for responding.

I assume you mean number 4 on the diagram below was the one melting? but if the engine is moving forward and back excessively it is likely to be number 2 or 15?
I am not sure if it is more excessive than normal, I will try and record it moving.

1596025846395.png

Goatz

Reaction score
Had my girlfriend rev the engine this time and took a look.
The engine does jolt forward when first starting, but after that both ticking over and with revvs is seems pretty stable. Not sure if thats the same when in gear.
Perhaps this isnt the issue after all.

Pedro

Reaction score
I believe it was No 4 which suffered heat problems if the engine is a little jumpy on tick over it may just have a slight misfire this can cause an Engine to be a little unstable & give the impression its the mountings that are worn but you could scotch the back wheels put the front end up on axle stands take off one front wheel & put it in gear & letting the clutch in & out with the engine running to check for movement don't worry about the car flying off into the air it won't because of the diff distributing the power to the wheel being driven ie the one jacked up off the ground I have done this check on driveshafts etc on umpteen cars & including my Z & yes there all still in one piece !

DKZ5745

Reaction score
You haven’t mentioned which RCZ variant you have. There was a notice issued by Peugeot for the front strut top mounts, as they were known to be prone to knocking. I’m not sure which years/models this notice refers to, but mine was included and they were replaced foc a few years ago when I mentioned them while it was in for a service.
Apparently a “notice” means not to do anything about a known fault unless the owner mentions it. Then it can be acted on foc.

Goatz

Reaction score
its a 1.6 GT 2011
Yep I saw details about this notice before and I am booked in at the dealership next week to replace them.
Its not so much a loud knocking, more of a rattling only when the engine is on. most noticeable at low speeds on uneven roads, although I can slightly hear it on tick over. Its definitely not the timing chain as I have had this checked recently.

Goatz

Reaction score
ok finally got a diagnosis on this fault and it turns out to be the strut top mounts.
A known problem for early RCZs
I have it with the dealer now and have raised the info flash mentioned here (Knocking noise at low revs)
but they are claiming it doesnt exist in their system.
Perhaps I am pushing it a bit expecting Peugeot to replace a part on a car with 100k miles for free :D
I have been quoted £744 - extortionate even if they find the shock absorbers do need to be replaced
"knocking noise from front. suspect from top mounts, can also see bearings coming apart. advise complete top mount assembly. Due to mileage may also require shock absorbers when stripped."

Last edited:

Goatz

Reaction score
ok - the dealership is telling me that they cannot do the strut mount replacement FOC as the car is a 2011 model and it only applies for 6 years after the date of manufacture.

I guess replacing the shocks makes sense since the labour will cost so much. Any recommendations? I assume I should go for Bilstein B4 22-232908

Last edited:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Might be worth contacting Peugeot U.K. direct to see if they’ll do a contribution as it’s a known issue. I had mine done foc due to the notice issued to dealers by Pug.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
For around £750 you could get coilovers all round.

Goatz

Reaction score
Might be worth contacting Peugeot U.K. direct to see if they’ll do a contribution as it’s a known issue. I had mine done foc due to the notice issued to dealers by Pug.

This was my first ever interaction with a dealership and it didnt leave me wanting to go back any time soon.

The dealership was WJ King in Sidcup
I phoned up and immediately brought up the info flash B3BW010GQ0 but was told that I had to book the car in before they could even check. The waiting list was 2 months. Once booked in they claimed that their was no bulletin. It took a few hours before they finally agreed it existed, then said it only applies for 6 years after the date of manufacture. Then of course they charged me a diagnostics fee!! I already told them what the problem was and two garages had already confirmed it.
This diagnostics fee + the two Ubers getting home and back probably equated to more that it would have cost an independent to do the job!!!
I think I will leave the dealership alone and cough up the money to an independent, although I havent had much luck with them either to be honest!!

Pedro

Reaction score
If you can do the job yourself or you can find a decent repair shop ask them to check both sides as they were prone to have this fault on both struts
Good luck & keeps us informed 👍

Unicorn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a persistent noise coming from what sounds like it’s between the driver side wheel arch and the centre of the engine bay. Sounds like hollow plastic rattling/knocking. Not loud, but frequent, mostly noticeable and low speed on uneven roads, although slightly noticeon tick over.
I have bounced on all the suspension and can’t replicate the sound, I have also silicone sprayed all the suspension bushings to no avail.
I have noticed the engine moves a fair about in the bay when revving.
All of this leads me to think that the engine mounts are the culprit. Also I believe this is a common fault with the RCZ.
Does anyone know what the best replacement mounts would be? How about which engine mount is known to fail? Any rough estimates on cost to get fixed at the garage?

Many thanks in advance
HI Goatz, check the control arm lower ball joint for wear, this is usually audible when driving over u even road surfaces. Jack the side up where you suspect the noise is coming from and check for play.