What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

engine mods

A

Anonymous

If you check out Eccosse ( http://www.ecosse-peugeot.co.uk ) They are the daddys at Pug tuning.

I emailed them about some basic tunning of the 156 THP engine

"We have done tuning on these engines, but more in the 207, it is the same
1.6 THP engine fitted in the 207 GT and XS Sport.
A simple remap will give you roughly another 30bhp and 30ft/lb of torque.
The addition of an induction kit will add about 5-8bhp which is not a lot but will help slightly with achieving the sound you want.
We can also supply 2 types of Blow Off Valve which also increase noise which most people tend to like
"

Seems that for well under £1000 you can get the 156 THP sounding brilliant and producing nearly as much Bhp but more torque over more of the range. (the 200 produces 255N-m with overboost to 275N-m wheras a tuned 156THP will have a peak torque of 280N-m with no overboost function)

For the record this seems to basically produce the results that MINI's own JCW kit does. :beer:

Worth checking out the forum MINI2 also... they have been tunning the 1.6 Turbo Prince engine a lot more than the Peugeot owners and have some cracking results.

I would also put money on a free flowing exhaust pushing the 190bhp/280N-m even higher.

A

Anonymous

In regards to the exhaust, I've been informed by the chaps at Eccosse that there is a performance Cat-Bac Exhaust in the making, but they will also build a custom one should you want

A

Anonymous

Would love to see a car with these tweaks but remember that Peugeot warranty will run a mile if you need to claim for any engine/drive train issues...

A

Anonymous

Indeed... Although I would love to see what changes that PSA have done to the 200THP engines in the RCZ / DS3..

the blurb states "optimisation". No strengthening or nothing so i'd say that there would be any problems... Plus the MINI drivers are remapping Cooper-S's to well over 220Bhp these days.. some with intensive work up to 280Bhp!

Its the same engine so the potential is there! Only time will tell if PSA have skimped on anything though in their implimentations..

I'd say in a year or so we will eb seeing some very fast RCZ's

A

Anonymous

I've already modified an RCZ to do 0-60 in 4.05s 0-100 in 8.95s with 430 BHP and a 2.0L engine...ok it was on Forza Motor Sport but hey we can all dream

A

Anonymous

RCZ is in Forza? Damn means im gonna have to bring out that Noisy ol' 360 from retirement... as if GT5 wasnt taking up enough of my time!

A

Anonymous

Its the only thing occupying my time whilst I very very...very patiently wait for my RCZ...but yes it does have the RCZ as a downloadable add on...makes a fair bit of noise too........damn it just realised it was the 360.

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
RCZ is in Forza? Damn means im gonna have to bring out that Noisy ol' 360 from retirement... as if GT5 wasnt taking up enough of my time!

Is the RCZ in GT5? I tried to find it pre launch but couldn't see it. Looks like Kenectimals is getting the boot after a visit to Game!
Stop crying daughter? :twisted:

A

Anonymous

johnyb said:
Thinking of a cone filter to replace standard box type and a turbo dump valve. air box looks easy to change but has anybody put in a dump valve on the turbo outlet yet? is the heatshield easy to remove and is it straightforward?

Why would you want to fit a dump valve ? when the factory have gone to the trouble to fit a recirculation valve!

A

Anonymous

Tweaking the 156

http://etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=13&t=144

Specs:
Stage 1 ECU upgrade
98 / 100 octane fuel

Results:
Torque 296,7Nm @ 2805RPM (stock 240,0 Nm @ 2430RPM)
Power 193,8 Hp @ 5575 RPM (stock 151,6 Hp @ 6170RPM)

Power and torque have been corrected by ISO1585

Designing the remap
The purpose of our stage 1 ECU remap was to increase the EP6DT engine's power, without making any mechanical modifications.
The car which was modified was completely stock.

For further power gains it is strongly recommended that further mechanical modifications be made first to increase the engine's longevity.

Engine data
Engine code EP6DT
Engine Volume 1598 cc
Compression ratio 10,5 / 1
Maximum power 150 hp (110 kW) at 5800RPM
Maximum torque 250 Nm at 1400RPM
Injection technology Direct injection - Bosch MED17.4 management

Technical remarks
The 207 GT / Rallye / THP 150 comforms to Euro 4 exhaust emission regulations. This means that because of the strict regulations in effect
in member-states of the European Union, the engine has to produce limited emissions. Which in turn means that the ECU has got to use
lean mixture and get very high exhaust temperatures as a result.

With the stock ECU mapping, the Air to Fuel Ratio is only 14.7:1 in the biggest part of the revolutions range and almost 13.5:1 near the rev limiter.
This AFR combined with boost generated by the turbo, result in high exhaust temperatures exceeding 1000 degrees C in the exhaust manifold.
While these settings are necessary for the car to get type approval, they also shorten the life of the turbo, the engine cover, the pistons and possibly the exhaust manifold.

Boost:
The stock ECU mapping requests 0.65bar of (relative) boost, holding approximately 0.5bars through the largest part of the rev range, falling to 0.4bars
at the rev limiter.

Throttle control:
Because the stock throttle pedal mapping slows down its control for reducing fuel consumption, the throttle pedal has a rather slow response.

Stage 1 ECU remap modifications

Because of the above technical remarks, the stock ECU mapping was modified accordingly:
1. Injection and AFR settings were enrichened at full throttle. The new settings made it possible to have approximately 900 degrees C at 1.2bars of boost,
instead of 1000+ C at 0.65 bars.
This helps the turbo maintain its longevity by reducing the thermal stress ad the extremely high temperatures it has to withstand.
In closed loop conditions, for example while driving in the city or on the highway, the stock fuel consumption was maintained.

2. Boost was raised to 1.2bar overboost, gradually falling to 0.8bars. The new boost settings are very close the 207 RC's stock boost, with safer
fueling mapping.

3. The stock ignition timing was modified.

4. The throttle pedal mapping was modified. Its latency was reduced and it was remapped to accomodate the newly available torque because of
the boost increase.

A

Anonymous

Re: Tweaking the 156

Figo said:
http://etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=13&t=144

Specs:
Stage 1 ECU upgrade
98 / 100 octane fuel

Results:
Torque 296,7Nm @ 2805RPM (stock 240,0 Nm @ 2430RPM)
Power 193,8 Hp @ 5575 RPM (stock 151,6 Hp @ 6170RPM)

Power and torque have been corrected by ISO1585

Designing the remap
The purpose of our stage 1 ECU remap was to increase the EP6DT engine's power, without making any mechanical modifications.
The car which was modified was completely stock.

For further power gains it is strongly recommended that further mechanical modifications be made first to increase the engine's longevity.

Engine data
Engine code EP6DT
Engine Volume 1598 cc
Compression ratio 10,5 / 1
Maximum power 150 hp (110 kW) at 5800RPM
Maximum torque 250 Nm at 1400RPM
Injection technology Direct injection - Bosch MED17.4 management

Technical remarks
The 207 GT / Rallye / THP 150 comforms to Euro 4 exhaust emission regulations. This means that because of the strict regulations in effect
in member-states of the European Union, the engine has to produce limited emissions. Which in turn means that the ECU has got to use
lean mixture and get very high exhaust temperatures as a result.

With the stock ECU mapping, the Air to Fuel Ratio is only 14.7:1 in the biggest part of the revolutions range and almost 13.5:1 near the rev limiter.
This AFR combined with boost generated by the turbo, result in high exhaust temperatures exceeding 1000 degrees C in the exhaust manifold.
While these settings are necessary for the car to get type approval, they also shorten the life of the turbo, the engine cover, the pistons and possibly the exhaust manifold.

Boost:
The stock ECU mapping requests 0.65bar of (relative) boost, holding approximately 0.5bars through the largest part of the rev range, falling to 0.4bars
at the rev limiter.

Throttle control:
Because the stock throttle pedal mapping slows down its control for reducing fuel consumption, the throttle pedal has a rather slow response.

Stage 1 ECU remap modifications

Because of the above technical remarks, the stock ECU mapping was modified accordingly:
1. Injection and AFR settings were enrichened at full throttle. The new settings made it possible to have approximately 900 degrees C at 1.2bars of boost,
instead of 1000+ C at 0.65 bars.
This helps the turbo maintain its longevity by reducing the thermal stress ad the extremely high temperatures it has to withstand.
In closed loop conditions, for example while driving in the city or on the highway, the stock fuel consumption was maintained.

2. Boost was raised to 1.2bar overboost, gradually falling to 0.8bars. The new boost settings are very close the 207 RC's stock boost, with safer
fueling mapping.

3. The stock ignition timing was modified.

4. The throttle pedal mapping was modified. Its latency was reduced and it was remapped to accomodate the newly available torque because of
the boost increase.

So does this mean that when I purchase a RCZ, that according to what I have highlighted in RED, I should expect my exhaust manifold, turbo and pistons to not last long at all, and need replacing ? That's a worry!

A

Anonymous

Im sure it will last just fine, Its just highlighting that when an engine is designed for high performance then adapted to meet restrictions it can have detrimental effects. :eusa-think:

I wouldnt worry, that site was created for hardcore tuners..we tend to look to improve on perfection and any for of restriction is bad.. My MG has a standalone ECU which I can map from my laptop... im forever tweaking.. :eusa-whistle: On a NON turbo 2.0 litre we managed to increase the power output from 200bhp to about 220bhp simply by removing all the emissions concern stuff from the engine and mapping it for efficient power rather than euro compliance.

The engine run smoother while producing more power.

FGRob

Reaction score
It's called a sales pitch - just to make you spend your money, it's not even worth getting out of bed for :thumbup:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

FGRob said:
It's called a sales pitch - just to make you spend your money, it's not even worth getting out of bed for :thumbup:

Rob.

Ya lost me dude :lol: