What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine Fault

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Been having an annoying issue on my RCZ GT200 recently, been receiving an engine Management light come up on car and bleep when start car up intermittently, and occasionally in middle of driving along (usually my display is too slow coming up to get the details of this fault but occasionally i see it and it says "engine Fault - Repair Needed"). Usually the driving stays OK, but iv had a couple of instance where its lost most of its power! Which is very noticeable on these cars.

I've taken it back to my dealership three times now and only the latest time did error actually stay up when i got there, but they have agreed to take it in for a few days and have a look at turbo which they think its related too? Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues? They replaced the Temp Sensor otherday on a recall and claimed that was problem and the other time said it had an air flow fault which they cleared but as it didn't come back in there testing afterwards they said there was nothing they could do about it at the time..

I've heard alot of talk about this High Pressure Fuel Pump problem and just wondering if anyone could explain what that is and if that could potentially be the problem? Hopefully they will sort it this time when i take it back anyway, but got to wait 2 more weeks to get it sorted! So want to make sure they fix the right thing as had this on going for almost month now already :(

Attachments

• RCZ Engine Fault.jpg
    RCZ Engine Fault.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 2,143

RCZash

Reaction score
Sorry I can not offer any advice, the joys of Peugeot dealerships. Had the same fault on mine awhile ago local dealer said it was the temp sensor, they fixed the car anyway and said I would receive paperwork after they had contacted Peugeot HQ. Of course I never received it.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
The other candidate is timing chain issues - another common one, I'm afraid.

The relative position of the inlet and exhaust cam shafts gets out of sync and/or misaligned. The engine goes to limp mode just to be on the safe side.

The fault coming and going sound similar to others early experiences before it turns into a permanent fault. A quick search here will find lots of others threads.

This is a known issue and Peugeot appear to have a 'script' you have to go through. Armed with info. from this site you should be able to have a sensible discussion with Peugeot through your dealer. Be polite but firm. To my knowledge the fault has never re-occurred on cars that have had the full fix(which involves new timing chain parts) so, once you get it fixed, you should be OK.

You don't tell us how many miles or if you're still in warranty. However, given the history, you should be in a good position to obtain a contribution from Peugeot, at the very least. Check out the Sale of Goods act. This gives you 6 years to lodge issue. Especially useful if you bought new or have warranty.

Let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

Your best buying a ODBC connector tool off eBay. My 308 GT use to have it all the time. It's just a general message. The code reader will tell you what the fault code is

I went for the diesel this time and not had any issues :)

thornebt

Reaction score
I bought a Launch CReader VI fault code reader from Ebay for about £55.00. It seems to work well. I can't say if it comes up with as many faults or as much detail as the Peugeot dealers equipment but it's a sensibly priced bit of kit. Just plug it into the OBD socket behind the ashtray (you need to remove the rubber floor part under the ashtray).

There are loads of fake fault code readers. With the CReader VI many fakes don't have 'Launch' impressed into the machine's OBD plug. The serial number on the back also needs to have a barcode as well as the serial number. I think there is some info about fakes on the Launch website. If you buy a fake one you won't be able to register it on the Launch website and get updates etc.

My reader has come up with various fault codes for my misfiring problem when the engine is cold. The car has been back to Carbase under their three month used car warranty but they've not been able to cure it despite changing the spark plugs and two coils. They've also run a fuel cleaner through it and booked it into Peugeot who did a couple of software updates and said it was mechanically fine. So the car is currently back with Carbase and almost certainly going to the Peugeot dealer again! I haven't told them about my fault code reader as I wonder if they will get funny about me 'messing about'. Their own equipment should tell them all they need to know anyway. I wonder if it's the fuel filter - an £8 item that's easy to change but they haven't tried that yet.

A

Anonymous

pete.garratt said:
The other candidate is timing chain issues - another common one, I'm afraid.

The relative position of the inlet and exhaust cam shafts gets out of sync and/or misaligned. The engine goes to limp mode just to be on the safe side.

The fault coming and going sound similar to others early experiences before it turns into a permanent fault. A quick search here will find lots of others threads.

This is a known issue and Peugeot appear to have a 'script' you have to go through. Armed with info. from this site you should be able to have a sensible discussion with Peugeot through your dealer. Be polite but firm. To my knowledge the fault has never re-occurred on cars that have had the full fix(which involves new timing chain parts) so, once you get it fixed, you should be OK.

You don't tell us how many miles or if you're still in warranty. However, given the history, you should be in a good position to obtain a contribution from Peugeot, at the very least. Check out the Sale of Goods act. This gives you 6 years to lodge issue. Especially useful if you bought new or have warranty.

Let us know how you get on!

Ok thanks, sorry just had a chance to get back on here and see peoples advice, Its about 6 months old now (although i've only had it about 2 months as an exdemo) and only done 4500 miles. Ok *fingers Crossed* they will fix it permanently this time then.

A

Anonymous

Ok those tools do sound worth looking into then, hopefully will give a bit more info than "fault"...

So did anyone know about the High Pressure Fuel Pump issues, I take it that has different Characteristics to my issue? But just curious as when searching forums saw that mentioned several times.

A

Anonymous

thornebt said:
I bought a Launch CReader VI fault code reader from Ebay for about £55.00. It seems to work well. I can't say if it comes up with as many faults or as much detail as the Peugeot dealers equipment but it's a sensibly priced bit of kit. Just plug it into the OBD socket behind the ashtray (you need to remove the rubber floor part under the ashtray).

There are loads of fake fault code readers. With the CReader VI many fakes don't have 'Launch' impressed into the machine's OBD plug. The serial number on the back also needs to have a barcode as well as the serial number. I think there is some info about fakes on the Launch website. If you buy a fake one you won't be able to register it on the Launch website and get updates etc.

My reader has come up with various fault codes for my misfiring problem when the engine is cold. The car has been back to Carbase under their three month used car warranty but they've not been able to cure it despite changing the spark plugs and two coils. They've also run a fuel cleaner through it and booked it into Peugeot who did a couple of software updates and said it was mechanically fine. So the car is currently back with Carbase and almost certainly going to the Peugeot dealer again! I haven't told them about my fault code reader as I wonder if they will get funny about me 'messing about'. Their own equipment should tell them all they need to know anyway. I wonder if it's the fuel filter - an £8 item that's easy to change but they haven't tried that yet.

Is this the one you purchased?:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCANNER-ORIGINA ... B00AGCHUI2

I was also wondering whether they may be funny about me using my own fault code reader, afterall I don't want to give them any excuse to say I've voided my warranty as still have 2.5yrs left on it.

thornebt

Reaction score
Yes, that's the reader I bought - about £15 cheaper than what I paid! It has descriptions for some of the fault codes programmed into the reader and any others are easily looked up on the internet. I believe you can do all sorts of clever things with the more advanced features (I guess the reviews on Amazon or elsewhere on the web will explain this) but so far I've only used it to identify the fault codes. You can, of course, also delete the codes if you want to.

I guess it's possible for items on Amazon to be fake but perhaps if this turns out to be the case it might be fairly easy to get Amazon to refund your money. There seems to be so much fake stuff around these days!

A

Anonymous

I had the same fault come up, in similar circumstances too. After about an hour of motorway driving, in the middle of a journey.

My car was in the garage for pretty much an entire month. It went in 3 times and within 2 or 3 days, the light came on again. All turbo issues. The first three occasions, they replaced (sorry for my mechanical ignorance) a valve, a sensor and a pipe. On the 4th occasion, they finally decided to replace the whole turbo.

Thank god I have an extended warranty! The garage have agreed to buy my car back off me and sell me another at trade price, Peugeot have offered me £500 towards another Peugeot, so I'm now looking for a new car. I' even toying with getting a facelift RCZ with maybe 10k miles on it. Will see.

But back to the fault. If it's a turbo issue, I hope you don't get the problems I've had! Been driving around a Citroen C3 for a month - lovely!