What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine Fault - Repair Needed, this is getting too common now

samwell

Reaction score
So Monday morning I leave for work and after travelling only around 100 yards I get the above showing on the dash, the engine felt a bit hesitant, I lost engine power crawled to a stop. After turning off and on again all seemed well but the fault was still showing. AA called and it was in to Peugeot for inspection, apparently it was a spark plug so this was replaced at cost, as it's a consumable. Car picked up Wednesday, drives very smoothly and all seems good.

This morning, whilst accelerating onto a dual carriageway when leaving for work the engine felt very hesitant again, but even more so this time. No fault showing though, I attempt to overtake a lorry and it happens again "Engine fault - repair needed". AA called again and it's back into Peugeot for further inspection.

I had the timing chain issue recently which was fixed and now this...not very impressed as now I'm in a 1.2 Corsa for the weekend!

No real point to this post other than to rant a bit, I know many others have had this fault, what did yours end up being for?

A

Anonymous

Re: Engine Fault - Repair Needed, this is getting too common

I'm in same boat :) . Still don't know why it was. Bad fuel, to much air on fast acceleration. etc.

But now it's gone. It's gone after my last trip, near 1000 km. With long run on hard acceleration 4000-6000 rpm and speed near 210 km/h :eusa-whistle:

My dealer told me about RCZ 1.6 engine. It's don't like short trip and low rpm. So let's burn it :beer:

samwell

Reaction score

Hmm...funny you should mention giving the engine some stick as I had a call from the dealer this afternoon asking about my driving style. They think the engine revs and gear selection COULD have something to do with it, ie. I drive too conservatively. Short trips aren't a problem, I've covered 37,500 miles since January, average daily grind is over 100 miles. We'll see what they come back with!

A

Anonymous

37500 miles in a year any wonder ur engine went pop :shock:

Just kidding but that's more than I've done in 6 years

A

Anonymous

My record was 75 000 miles per year! :crazy:

A

Anonymous

We had a 406 that did that. Peugeot never did find an explanation.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I've had a similar problem on mine.

If I accelerated above about 3,500 rpm I got the warning message the the turbo just ceased working. Car still drove, just required a bit more...enthusiasm to keep up with traffic.

It went into the dealer on Thursday, diagnosed a faulty waste gate (not sure if that's the term Pug use, but it's what they explained it as), fixed then but said there was now a faulty sensor. That was repaired today, but now they say it has another fault and not sure how to fix it.

The dealer is being pretty helpful, so no complaints, but it would be good if to have my car back at soon!

A

Anonymous

By way of an update - after 8 days, finally got my car back.

Final diagnosis, apparently determined with the help of a Peugeot technical team, was that the pipes leading to or from the turbo must be collapsing.

So the dealer replaced them all (getting the parts though took several days).

Drove home last night without incident, so fingers cross it's finally resolved.

On a slightly separate note, 8 days driving a 107 made me really really made me appreciate the RCZ!

A

Anonymous

Sideshow, great to hear its all been resolved and that your back in love with her, enjoy it to the fullest :smile:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

I have this fault and a battery fault on my RCZ 1.6 156 only had the car 4 days bought it second hand only 12.500 miles on the clock, the cars now with the main dealer as it still has dealer warranty left on it they have had the car 3 days now and told should get it back on Wednesday that's another 3 days hope it gets sorted. :helpme:

A

Anonymous

Had my RCZ which I absolutely love apart from the fact I keep getting "Engine Fault - Repair Needed" and the transmission sign comes up - this morning I went back to the garage for the 4th time - been in twice with this fault - they hooked it up and ran diagnostics and this fixed it - supposedly - tick over is not smooth recently and thought its coming back - and it did - sitting at lights 10 days ago - engine cut out and fault appeared yet again - phoned garage immediately and booked in for 3rd visit - fault they said was wear on spark plug?!?! - my car has just done 11000 miles in 2 years - brand new - today foot on accelerator and getting nowhere after just leaving home, so about turn and head straight to garage - when stop car - fan is on for fully 10 minutes - sounds like jet engine waiting to take off - agree fan is on - well that's obvious to a blind man!? car is going back in Monday morning for 8am for another visit - they wanted me to wait a week and I said can't - not driving it around with this obvious problem for another 7 days!! any ideas, advice please??

This is coming up to 2 years - how long is warranty for again?? Not paying for problem that is not mine>!

A

Anonymous

There is one thing in your favour as here in the UK we get a three year warranty :thumbup: Two from Peugeot and an additional one from the dealerships.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
There is one thing in your favour as here in the UK we get a three year warranty :thumbup: Two from Peugeot and an additional one from the dealerships.

5 year full maintenance plan in South Africa :thumbup:

My car spent an entire day around a race track in 30 decree C and she didnt miss a single beat. Proper maintenance, only premium fuel, proper warm up and cool down is all your thp asks from you.

A

Anonymous

I've had four of these now and today it went under the Analyser - Result = £78 to tell me that they haven't got a clue what the fault is but if I would like to give them an open ended cheque, I could leave the car with them and they would contact "Technical" who would tell them to try this or try that! So, how does that work? If you don't know what the fault is how on earth are you ever going to know if you have fixed it?

A

Anonymous

I had the same issue. Over the warranty repair they did the following,

- Changed out a turbo solenoid that was jammed
- Changed an oil breather pipe that clogged itself
- Changed the timing chain and tensioner
- Changed out the spark plugs

So basically multiple faults with the engine that fixed the engine fault display. Ask them what error codes the car is throwing out as it will have recorded a fault code for the engine error message.

A

Anonymous

Asked for the codes and only agreed to give them after I had to resort to a loud voice in the Showroom asking if they were "Secret". Relate to variable valve lift and turbo. All of this started after I had to have the tensioner done.

A

Anonymous

Tis one of my pet hates is that business of paying for them to let a computer diagnose the problem :thumbdown: The computer says :eusa-whistle: Bring back knowledgeable, experienced mechanics

A

Anonymous

You can buy a scanner for £20 plus going up to the hundreds. Different ones have different features but general engine codes should be readable by all. The socket for the OBD scanner is at the bottom of the center console. Take out the rubber tray insert and then the fag tray and you should see the green socket looking back at you. If you have the workshop manual for the RCZ you can then see what the code refers to.

You can wipe the codes and get rid of the engine warning but it's not advisable as then the workshop has even less to work with!