What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine Fault & Loss of turbo

A

Anonymous

Evening all,

Was driving home tonight doing about 60mph when the engine warning light flicked on and had a message along the lines of "enginge fault". Car drove with no problems at all (could slow down and accelerate) but the turbo has gone; i just get "normal" acceleration when i put my foot down, not the usual turbo assissted acceleration.

Taking it in to the dealers tomorrow to see if they can diagnose - but if it's taken off-road then I'll be in trouble because all their courtesy cars are out and I cannot get to work without it.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm hoping it's something benign and that the turbo is just deactivated as a safety measure.

fingers crossed

dave

pete.garratt

Reaction score
In these latest engines, there have been a couple of previous reports of similar incidents. From memory, it's usually a solenoid valve in the turbo system and doesn't appear too catastrophic. Have a look in the technical area of the forum and you should find some earlier threads where people have had similar problems. My guess is that it will take a few hours to fix, even if your local dealer has the required parts in stock.

I fear you may be stuck for transport tomorrow, so sorry for that.

A

Anonymous

The most likely event is the engine management system has recorded a fault and has put the car in "limited performance" mode (no turbo) this is a default built into lots of cars now. If you are lucky they will clear the fault code and normal mode will be restored.

Paul141

A

Anonymous

I think Figo had this issue a couple of months ago. Think it was sorted out pretty easily. Maybe ask him..........

A

Anonymous

Sorted out easy.. But it was a relatively big problem. Needed a software update which was fine. But the engine timing was also out which was what caused the fault and enabled the limp mode so to speak.

I've read a few reports with minis having the same issue. I beleive it's something to do with the variable valve timing on the engines. It can knock itselfs ever so slightly off. It's not a problem for 90% of users as it will never happen but there was up rated parts that were fitted to stop it again. So PSA/BMW are aware of the issue.

Fixing took a few days and I got a courtesy car. It was of course done under warranty.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all. Am currently sat at the dealers waiting to be seen.

I had a look at those posts that were mentioned. Let's hope it's something simple!!

Dave

A

Anonymous

1st prize goes to Figo - apparently there's an issue with the timing - they don't know any more than that at the moment, but have advised it isn't driven at the moment. will report back once it's sorted.

thanks all
dave

A

Anonymous

It took the garage here approx two days. Everything has been perfect since! Im sure it was a head off job as they needed to check and replace items that may have been under undue stress with the timing being off.

A

Anonymous

exactly - they couldn't say what was causing the problem and need to run some more tests & speak to Peugeot HQ. they said it's the first RCZ they have seen with the problem but have had it on some 207s..... i did tell them it's not the first RCZ to have had the issue though ;-)

A

Anonymous

eyetiepie said:
they said it's the first RCZ they have seen with the problem but have had it on some 207s..... i did tell them it's not the first RCZ to have had the issue though ;-)

Maybe it is the first time that particular dealership has seen it though :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

:( just found out that various parts need replacing with the timing chain and associated things, and because some of them aren't in stock, I won't be getting it back until 14th Dec!!!!!!!!!!!!

So - how do I go about getting them to give me something better than the 308 I'm driving about in at the moment. I've got a fair bit of driving to do this weekend and could do with something a bit nippier and more economical & with a sat nav!

A

Anonymous

I got a Suzuki Swift so you may be pushed getting more than a 308 seeing as the RCZ is essentially.. A 308 :lol:

Not so good you got to wait bud!

A

Anonymous

Hmmmm. So I get the car back and all has been sorted with timing chain. About two weeks later, the engine feels sluggish and there's no turbo and a farty noise when I accelerate when the turbo would normally kick-in.

I'm away from home at this point so take the car in to a diff dealership who agree to have a look even though they say the should charge given it's probably related to work that other dealership did.....anyway, they have a look at the car and find out that the pipe at bottom of engine, which is part of the turbo, has come off cos it was never reattached properly!!!!!

I'm not particularly impressed with this-***** Cambridge who did the work just said 'sorry'. I hate to think what would happen if they had been working on the brakes and forgot to connect things back up properly !!!!!

A

Anonymous

This happened to me again on Saturday. Second time just turned past 17,000 miles

Must say I'm shocked to be honest. Even my MGTF managed to get to 24,000 before its head gasket went....

But it never cost me £25k.......

A

Anonymous

Hey guys
I've had the engine fault light on after my car was in the garage for 2 weeks for suspension repair. Got car back and had no power. Called my dealer arrange to take in on the Monday. On the sat engine warning light need repair.
I was fuming so took car back in on Monday. Local dealer put it on diagnostics mixture fault

I was told its the cam chain tensioner. Cars 2 years old 20 thousand miles. Four days in the garage finally fixed under warranty. Spoke to Peugeot master technician and by all accounts it a common fault and the new cam tensioner is a re designed part. But no recal from peugout.

Well it's all fixed now but my advise to anybody that has had or is doing it at the moment contact Peugeot direct. I've managed to get my next service FOC.

[email protected]
They took 3 days to get back to me but got what I wanted

Ady