What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine Fault Code P0303

thornebt

Reaction score
I bought my RCZ 1.6THP on 1st May and it had an engine fault a few days later. Engine was misfiring badly, cut out a few times, wouldn't pull away but was fine when slightly warmed up. The engine fault light was illuminated amber on the tacho and the message "Engine fault - Repair needed" appeared. I took it back to the Carbase car supermarket and they identified a P0303 fault which they reset. They thought it might be due to the car being low on fuel from when I bought it a few days before.

The same symptoms appeared today. After restarting the car and driving just a few hundred yards the fault seems to disappear. I do not know that the fault will be another P0303 code but it seems quite likely. A look on the internet shows this to be a Cylinder 3 misfire and suggests the following causes for this error code:-

faulty spark plug / wire / coil pack / oxygen sensor / fuel injector

burned exhaust valve

faulty catalytic converter

running out of fuel

poor compression

defective computer

I've booked the car back into the Carbase service department on Tuesday but would like to have some idea of the most likely cause before taking it in. I appreciate that it would be easy to eliminate some of these causes by swapping the cylinder 3 spark plug and coil pack etc but as it's still under warranty with them it wouldn't be appropriate.

Does anyone have ideas on the most likely cause of these symptoms when the engine is cold (not been run for two or three days) but the engine runs fine when just slightly warmed up?

The car has done 40,000 miles and is a 2011 1.6THP. It has had the service record stamped for the 40,000 mile service by Peugeot and the service schedule is to replace the spark plugs at 40,000 but I can't be completely sure that this was done. The car was going to be sold at this stage so perhaps they just ticked the box!

renegade79

Reaction score
my best guess is coil pack but i'm sure the petrol guru's will be along shortly and may have a better idea as to what the most likely cause is! Hope you get it sorted soon and get the beast back on the road soon :thumbup: