What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine Failure going up hill at high speed

bird

Reaction score
2013 Peugeot RCZ 1.6 Petrol 156hp.

I'm having a persistent issue where the engine fault light comes on and the car shakes when going uphill over 70mph in sixth gear - I guess due to that putting more strain on the engine. It's feels like a severe misfire / juddering or shaking when it happens.

I have replaced the spark plugs, ignition coils and battery but that's made no difference.

I've revved the car hard up all sorts of other steep hills (some of these much steeper) and there are no issues at all. In fact, it pulls really well...But these are at lower speeds on much smaller roads. So I think it's speed-related as well as due to being uphill.

I can't provide an exact error code as I can't get the car to trigger the error anywhere safe to do so.
It will only come on when on the motorway and I don't fancy making it happen on purpose.
However, last time I remembered the code related to something vague and generic like 'manufacturer control'.

Some other things to bear in mind:
The car has had various electrical issues relating to the ECU resulting from a battery short circuit shock several months ago - could it be an incurable ECU fault?
(The car has misfired badly before at high speed - including once going downhill at about 80mph) this showed 3 error codes!!!! However, after turning the ignition off an on and clearing the codes it was then back to driving fine!?
The fuel pump is very loud (a constant hissing noise) - could it be not supplying a sufficient supply of fuel?
The car's wheel tracking does feel quite bad - could this be bad enough to trigger an engine light?
One previous code from the ECU problem related to engine timing but the code disappeared after deleting following replacing the camshaft position sensor. Is it possible that the timing could be so slightly off that it's fine under normal driving conditions but misfires under enough load and speed?

Any help hugely appreciated
Thank you :)