What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

EMS - timing Chain - repair needed.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm.. 1.6 Petrol ... 12k miles - Just had the yellow EMS light pop on, repair needed. - I had noticed that after the 12month service that the car, very occasionally, seemed to be down a bit on power every now & then, the dealer had done nothing at the sevice other than top ups & apply 'software' updates.

The power loss seemed to be in 3rd / 4th gear 2k rpm (ish). anyway - went to local dealer, who investigated and reported back the timing chain had "stretched", it took 24hrs to fix and return.

There was no sign of the temperature errors others have posted about and the car ran as normal while the light was on.

The dealer also applied more software updates while in the repair centre. They said they hadn't had any RCZ's back with the light on since launch.

Dealers were excellent - arranged courtesy car etc etc... Robins & Day in Altrincham.

anyone else ? - hope its not a sign of problems cropping up...

Martin

A

Anonymous

Few folks on here have had this. It's a common problem with this engine in the mini's.

I had it and got the software update and the timing lock sorted out and all is well in RCZsville...

Happened worst about 14k intermittently from 8k. Now perfect

A

Anonymous

Hi

My 156 gt (15 months old, 10500 miles) is currently in for timing chain repairs.
A few weeks ago my engine sounded like a 'bag of nails' at 2500 - 3500 revvs and the oil level warning light came on - no power loss at all though.
After the dealer had a look, they told my the timing chain tensioner bolt had come loose which caused the rattle and the oil leak - i dread to think about what kind of damage could have occured.
I've had a few issues with the dealer - too long a story to go in to - they've had my car since december 1st - however they've told me they've had to replace the timing chain guides and that the chain adjustment is at the limits of the peugeot recommended tolerance.
I should pick my baby up today. but they will have a few questions to answer!! :roll:
anyone else had a loose timing chain?

pete.garratt

Reaction score
The engine you have, I believe, is one of the Prince series, jointly developed by PSA with BMW and used on many Peugeot, Citroen and Mini vehicles.

This engine series appears to have a history of timing chain/cam gear issues. I had a similar experience with a THP175 engine in a 207gti a couple of years ago. You will find many other posts on this and other forums on this topic.

What's not too clear is if this issue has a permenant fix, although I understand modified parts have been developed to resolve things.

Having had the fix, I hope you are now running smoothly again.

A

Anonymous

For information.

We have had a small number of issues reported on the EP engine associated with the timing chain and engine timing.

To address the issue a number of modifications to the engine and build process have been introduced since September 2010.

The issue is a lack of power which sometimes also illuminates the engine management warning light. It is caused by incorrect tension on the timing chain and inconsistences in the camshaft reference control software.

To address the issue the chain tensioner has been re-designed and new control software has been introduced with the introduction of the Euro 5 engine.

Our Dealer Network has been briefed.

Peugeot UK

A

Anonymous

May i know what is the range of car for Peugeot with Euro 5 engine?

A

Anonymous

i think mine is on the way out as its rattling when its cold I've done 12k hope its not going to go after only 6 month of owning the car :(

A

Anonymous

Get it sorted out ASAP. If they acknowledge the problem they can order parts and fix it in a day

A

Anonymous

Bought my 156hp RCZ July 2011 it only has 7k miles. Last week i had an oil pressure failure as i pulled up at my home, oil was leaking badly from the car! Had to have it towed to the nearest Peugeot garage and was told it is the timing chain which had come loose! I have been told there is no damage to my engine, but i am a little worried about getting it back and somethign else going wrong! Has anyone else had any further probelms realating to the timing chain post-repair?

A

Anonymous

Soooo I'm not alone.

HJad a longish drive in hideous conditions yesterday, a 400 mile round trip.

Not a whisper of a problem.

So today, after 3 miles I get the EMS warning Repair Needed and my car feels like someone's nicked the Turbo! :crazy: :crazy:

So it's booked in on Monday.

I wonder if it's the timing chain issue!

I'll update as I find out more

Sigh.

Poor sick RCZ

Looks like we'll be using my wife's Mazda roadster this weekend then.

Davie

A

Anonymous

I'm sorry to read of your troubles Davie! :( How utterly frustrating and inconveniencing! I suppose the one saving grace was that it didn't happen when you were on the 400 mile journey! Good luck with it all tomorrow and please let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Hatman said:
Here is the technical link concerning this ongoing issue (5 x years).
Note the comment at the foot of the page.

http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=12&t=167

That makes for interesting reading Hatman. I am a little taken aback that a problem that was originally identified in 2007/08 has never been resolved fully. I would have thought that it would be far easier to redesign the problematic part rather than face later repairs once things go wrong. :eusa-think: