What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

EBay Bidding Scam - Beware.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, I have just received my new iPhone 12 Pro Max and put my iPhone X for sale on eBay.
As it is boxed like new without a mark on it, I was expecting @ £300 - £340 for it having looked to see what they are going for.
I was pleasantly surprised when I had 25 bidders and 27 watchers with the price going up to £265 with still 6 days to go.

On the last day of the auction the guy who was winning £265 made another bid (I found out after £345) which is OK as it’s a way of ensuring you don’t get out bid. It doesn’t affect the current high bid as it’s by the same person, so that remained at £265.

Then out of the blue, a new bidder made one bid of £350. I wonder how he knew that the other guy had a high bid of £345 and needed to bid £350 to outbid him 🤔? This new bidder joined EBay that same evening, and has since left EBay straight after the auction ended.

Nobody else made any bids as the price was quite high at £350 (obviously that was the point).

With 5 seconds to go before the auction ended, the new bidder withdrew his bid of £350, dropping the high bid back down to the previous high bid of £265, with no time for any of the other bidders to outbid it.

I immediately knew there was something wrong, so I cancelled the sale before any payment was made, and I passed on to EBay what had happened.
They have said they will investigate, but I know for a fact the worse thing that will happen is that he will get a warning, and probably not even that.

I have blocked the buyer from my EBay so he won’t be bothering me again unless he comes up with another fake Ebay ID.

Just something you need to be aware of in case you are selling on EBay.

BTW, the phone is back on EBay if anyone is looking for one. Fireman-Pete EBay ID.

Kerr

Reaction score
eBay is full of scammers and especially when it comes to goods like mobile phones. I won't take the risk of selling another item like that on eBay.

I've had issues selling a few phones. I also sold a car stereo a few months back and attracted nothing but scammers and idiots.

2retro

Reaction score
You could always just put a reserve price on it but, yeah, eBay is full of these types of scam artists these days unfortunately.

2retro

Reaction score
I had a similar experience on Gumtree a while ago but I think I got the upper hand there! 🤣

IMG_20200702_210611.jpgIMG_20200702_210614.jpgIMG_20200702_210621.jpg