What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Driver side window finally went broke…

tomflek

Reaction score
Hello there!

So today my driver side window broke down, it started first make crackling noise and only opened like 30% and didn’t go fully down and now I tried to lower it and finally good cracking sound and I heard some small sounding parts dropping down inside door, then i tried to put it up back and only I hear some quite horrifying window motor sounds so I let it be, window is now floating without any support from that window mechanism, I have to use my hands to rise window back up and if I push it down it will just slide down, so I guess window motor mechanism still works but where that window is attached to that motor, something broke from there, some plastic parts that hold the window? So should I open it up, and see what has happened? How about that styrofoam thing that is in front of that window mechanism, is it really just some styrofoam which is glued to door?? Does that styrofoam isolate all the water so it doesn’t get inside the electronics etc or what it’s purpose is? And can I remove it gently so I can put it back then as it was without any necessary glueing it back etc? Or should I just take it to local peugeot dealer so they can fix it, assuming that I most likely won’t be able to fix it or is there chance that it could be something small that I could fix it?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello there!

So today my driver side window broke down, it started first make crackling noise and only opened like 30% and didn’t go fully down and now I tried to lower it and finally good cracking sound and I heard some small sounding parts dropping down inside door, then i tried to put it up back and only I hear some quite horrifying window motor sounds so I let it be, window is now floating without any support from that window mechanism, I have to use my hands to rise window back up and if I push it down it will just slide down, so I guess window motor mechanism still works but where that window is attached to that motor, something broke from there, some plastic parts that hold the window? So should I open it up, and see what has happened? How about that styrofoam thing that is in front of that window mechanism, is it really just some styrofoam which is glued to door?? Does that styrofoam isolate all the water so it doesn’t get inside the electronics etc or what it’s purpose is? And can I remove it gently so I can put it back then as it was without any necessary glueing it back etc? Or should I just take it to local peugeot dealer so they can fix it, assuming that I most likely won’t be able to fix it or is there chance that it could be something small that I could fix it?
It’s easy to get the door card off and there’s a guy on eBay who will refurb you window mechanism with new cables I believe it’s a quick turnaround too but you’ve to take it off and send it off.

tomflek

Reaction score
It’s easy to get the door card off and there’s a guy on eBay who will refurb you window mechanism with new cables I believe it’s a quick turnaround too but you’ve to take it off and send it off.
Oh okay then, so I assume it's glued into that door frame (aka need to remove it carefully so I don't break it), and when I start to put it back, I have to glue it back to that door frame perhaps with silicone? And thanks for that eBay guy suggestion, could check that one out, but first I will go and tear it open by myself so I can see what exactly broke down, and then perhaps ask first from Peugeot dealer how much they would charge to fix it.

Thanks for answering, truly appreciate it!

Chillipip

Reaction score
I always get some spare clips when removing the door cards. I either end up breaking a clip or two or have to replace some from a previous removal where they couldn’t be arsed to. Part number is 9341.PF and cheap on eBay.
The foam is easy enough to remove if you use a sharp thin blade on the glue and go slow.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh okay then, so I assume it's glued into that door frame (aka need to remove it carefully so I don't break it), and when I start to put it back, I have to glue it back to that door frame perhaps with silicone? And thanks for that eBay guy suggestion, could check that one out, but first I will go and tear it open by myself so I can see what exactly broke down, and then perhaps ask first from Peugeot dealer how much they would charge to fix it.

Thanks for answering, truly appreciate it!
Door cards are clipped on just work your way round but as chillipip said you’ll need some replacement clips because some always break

tomflek

Reaction score
I always get some spare clips when removing the door cards. I either end up breaking a clip or two or have to replace some from a previous removal where they couldn’t be arsed to. Part number is 9341.PF and cheap on eBay.
The foam is easy enough to remove if you use a sharp thin blade on the glue and go slow.
Thanks for the tips and answers, appreciate it!

tomflek

Reaction score
Door cards are clipped on just work your way round but as chillipip said you’ll need some replacement clips because some always break
Yeah, so to let you know, I finally took teared it down and since car is 2011 year model, sight was quite grim, that styrofoam door card has been had rough life, most of it is there but previous mechanics/owners certaintly haven't had care/time to remove it gently, but it still does it job, most likely I could try to glue it little bit back together with some glue/silicone etc,

But yeah so, the main thing, I found out what has broken and surprise surprise, it was that cable inside that goes inside those black rubber tubes, it has snapped off very close to that window motor, so I teared down that yellowish plastic part from that motor and there it was, other half of that cable snapped, but otherwise motor seems to be rolling just fine, no even nasty negative sounding mechanism sounds from it, just perfectly rolling, and 625€ for completely new window regulator without that motor, with new motor would be another 525€... And Peugeot dealer already told that they wouldn't offer to fix that in any way, so it's either left for me try to get brand new stainless steel wire inside that rubber tube (most likely I would need to get whole window regulator mechanism out to be able to correctly route and fit that new stainless steel wire inside those rubber tubes etc?) but I guess it would be extremely comma f*cking to make it as right as possible, so then there's that eBay guy in England that offers to do that job for me just for 56 british pounds?

Or should I just go and pay that god d*mn 600€ and get brand new window regulator mechanism without motor -sh*t and then leave this current mechanism for me to fix it at my own pace perhaps? Or how hard it would be me to get correct size and length stainless steel cable and also there's inside that motor, those tiny metallic balls that keeps that cable attached inside that yellowish plastic cogwheel and that cable wraps around that cogwheel when motor spins, so I would need to figure out some same kind of metallic tiny part to attach end of that new stainless steel wire.