What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Does anyone know how to use the free Nokia phone?

A

Anonymous

Hi All

Got our car back in September but we have still been unable to master how to use the phone!!!

Has anyone managed to use it as a SatNav?

I have wanted to use the maps a few times to get directions but cannot do it. Also, to get the directions does the phone connect to the internet therefore use your credit?

Any help on how to use the phone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Mine's still in the box.

Should get it out soon and have a look.

I'll come back to this Thread then and hopefully someone will have explained how to use it.

(PS: Sorry I wasn't much...err...any help).

A

Anonymous

Hi RCZ Dog,
The Nokia phone is a very good Sat Nav (for a phone), I use the Nokia 5800 frequently which is very simiar to the 5230 one that came with our cars.(Our son had our 5230 that came with the car)

I woud recommend that you register with Nokia Ovi http://www.ovi.com/services/worldwide, and connect your phone with the PC, this will enable you to download the latest maps and phone software.

To use the sat nav, press the white button and select the compass icon (Maps), select drive, set destination, and then use as per normal sat nav (You can use postcodes or Addresses). It also shows speed cameras :dance:

If you connect the phone to the car by bluetooth and select the phone streaming, the sat nav instructions come through the car speakers :thumbup: , the downside is that you can't listen to any music whist this is happening :thumbdown: (I haven't sussed out yet how to play music at the same time).

You can also use the phone to guide you through city's etc when walking, great for city breaks etc, just choose walk instead of drive when in the sat nav menu.

It does take a little bit of getting used to just the same as most gadgets, just start playing and you will soon master it.

A

Anonymous

"The Nokia phone is a very good Sat Nav (for a phone)...."

Well I did find it pretty good for a while however it is now extremely slow to get a GPS lock (10 - 15 minutes in some cases). I think this is because the phone came with some credit and could therefore use Assisted GPS (requires internet data) to get a lock.

Now this credit has run out (Ovi maps itself does not require any internet access as the map files are on the phone) the GPS chip itself is so weak it cannot easily get a lock without AGPS - there is a lot of discussion on this on the Nokia forums.

I'd get a PAYG sim for it so it could use AGPS (the data packets are pretty small) however as far as I an see most PAYG sims seem to expire after 30 days these days.

I haven't tried the 5230 via bluetooth but have tried my Nokia E71 and can get navigation and music from this over the car speakers simultaneously e.g.I can stream music from Spotify on the phone to the head unit and if maps is also running it will mute the music when the satnav issues a voice guidance instruction. However as far as I know you cannot listen to the radio or aux input and also hear the voice guidance. Again, there is a lot of discussion on this on the Nokia forums.

For installing Maps and voice guidance files see:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/downloa ... d-new-maps

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses. I have now got the maps on the phone :thumbup: I have made it so the maps worked offline to save some credit but as Alan Hay said, it is very slow. Might need to get some more credit on the phone for when I want to use the Sat Nav option.

Going to try to put some music on the phone tomorrow so I can have an array of songs to choose from instead of one cd at a time. Should be fun :eusa-think: