What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Diesel particulate filter warning light illuminated.

Potnoodle

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Kind of hitting the ground running here. New to the forum and straight in with a request for advice if anyone can help.
Picked up my RCZ six weeks ago. Really like the car, but it has thrown a 'diesel particulate filter' warning lamp on. First time after around 4 weeks and 200 miles travelled, had a belt up M62 for two junctions and back (3000/3500 rpm 75 ish mph) 20 minute round trip. This appeared to clear the filter as the warning lamp went off. Happy days I thought... no, warning light retuned last week. went for same jaunt up motorway, which looked promising at first because as soon as I entered slip road and opened the taps the warning lamp went off. this was short lived as it came back on again 5 minutes up the motorway. the car now has an engine management light on to keep it company (joy of joys).
I have the car booked in with suppliers (Evans Halshaw) next week, who tell me that they will sort it.
Can anyone educate me as to what the possible underlying problem is, as I don't want to appear numb when they potentially try to blind me with bull#### when I collect the car.
Any advice on where the problem lies and the correct way to cure/prevent it reoccurring would be very much appreciated.

Woodso

Reaction score
Normally when a DPF warning light comes on initially a good run sorts it. When it goes to the stage of it being hard on the filter needs a clean. There is a whole industry set up now just doing DPF cleaning. If you are doing short journeys on a daily basis, then a diesel car is not the option to go for as the system only works when it gets up to full temperature. My missus has a Diesel Citroen C4 which is basically the same engine, only a 1.6L. She does max 10 miles a day going to and from school but we alway's make sure that it has a good run at the weekend.

Potnoodle

Reaction score
I carried out a bit of research before buying and realise the car needs driving differently to a petrol engine option. With this in mind I do drive in a higher rev range, disregarding the 'up shift' instruction lamp for a further 500 revs or so and rarely get above 3 gear around town. That said I don't know how the previous owner drove the car.
Previous MoTs show similar DPF warning light problems.
Should I lean on the garage and insist on a new DPF fitting. But more to the point will this be a long term cure?

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi potnoodle
I also have a Hdi RCZs and was told if the dpf comes on to take it out for a blast but to keep it in lower gear as to warm up the filter and burn out all the crap and this would sort it out... What's the milage?
Hope this helps you out..
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co
PS I knew someone who had the same nickname who was from Tadcaster..

Potnoodle

Reaction score
Hi,

Tried bezzing up and down motorway to no avail. Doesn't help that our local stretch of black stuff is peppered with variable speed cameras. Cant wring its neck anymore as the engine management light is on and hence it wont rev.
Cars done just short of 23000 miles.
Re nickname I'm never more than three steps away from a boiling kettle, noodles are king. Seriously though I just needed a quick username when I was signing up yesterday.

Potnoodle

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up regarding dpf cleaner, I'll try adding some to next tank full.

Cheers👍