What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

DETAILING:- DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?

A

Anonymous

Hi all hope you're good.

I've got a birthday coming up and my wife has decided that I should get into Car Detailing plus she needs to spend money!...

Ok...I know that there are a number of web sites to help on this but I would really appreciate if I could get comments from the forum. I hope RCZ1 will have an input as I know she is the man (in a women sort of way) when it comes to all things detailing.

Is the following correct:- :?

1) Snow Foam the car using a snow foam gun and Karcher jet washer (product suggestion pls)
2) Rinse this off using a hose pipe or jet washer?
3) Dry car using microfibre towel or cloth
4) Polish car and rub off (product suggestion pls)
5) Would I then wax the car over the top of the polish? or is wax just another name for polish? (product suggestion pls)
6) Once I've polished or waxed it, what should I then apply to give it a final gleam. (product suggestion pls)

I usually use Autoglym Super Resin Polish and then sometimes use the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection but want to try something new.
I don't think I need to use clay at the moment due to the paint being new?

RCZ1 has already been really helpful on the forum and I know she's a right fuss pot :D when it comes to detailing (thankfully) so could I ask dearest RCZ1 (grovell) to put by the side of each stage the product that you would use as I need to get a list of products ready for me birthday. :thumbup:

cheers Greg

A

Anonymous

I had a look on the Autoglym site yesterday and it recommends super resin polish (which has fillers) and then finish with HD Wax for protection.

A

Anonymous

No expert but I would also rinse the car with a jet hose before the snow foam to get rid of the loose/larger dirt.

Also, probably not so much now the car is new but there is also the claying stage you might want to consider.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Hi Ironman

Less of the fusspot bit :lol: :lol:

Anyway, here are my personal suggestions. As I've said before, I'm not saying they are the best but I've used them over a number of years or months so I know what they are capable of and most importantly, how easy they are to use.

IRONMAN said:
Hi all hope you're good.

I've got a birthday coming up and my wife has decided that I should get into Car Detailing plus she needs to spend money!...

Ok...I know that there are a number of web sites to help on this but I would really appreciate if I could get comments from the forum. I hope RCZ1 will have an input as I know she is the man (in a women sort of way) when it comes to all things detailing.

Is the following correct:- :?
The Process
You will need 2 buckets - one for cleaning the wheels, containing lukewarm water and shampoo, the other just water for rinsing your brushes as you are working
Start with your wheels first as you tend to get splatter from cleaning them, so you don't want to mess your nicely cleaned paintwork later. Jet wash them down and then use various brushes to reach the back of the wheels, front face of alloys and little nooks and crannies. Rinse your brushes regularly, you don't want to scratch your alloys - so brush into water containing shampoo, agitate the wheel, then rinse in the water only bucket. Repeat process until all wheels are clean.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-an ... d_480.html
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-an ... d_524.html
and cleaner for stubborn, baked on brake dust http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-an ... d_499.html

Seal your wheels later, when you've finished washing and drying the car. To seal your wheels and also good on any chrome ie roof arches, interior, etc, I use
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/ ... d_484.html - Its great stuff - so versatile and the bottle lasts for ages (I've had mine for 3 years and still plenty left).

Now
1) Snow Foam the car using a snow foam gun and Karcher jet washer (product suggestion pls) Correct - you need a foam lance http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-a ... d_371.html Don't forget to select the connector type for your make of jetwasher.

You will also need some snow foam - you only need to use about an inch worth in the snow foam bottle, fill up with water. Snow foam - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-a ... d_516.html
Leave for 5 mins. You may have to play around with the snow foam to find the consistency that you require. You use the dial on the foam lance to determine how much water you want to mix with the snow foam for varying thickness. Please note: your neighbours will think you've gone nuts when you start snow foaming - but its great fun :helpme:

2) Rinse this off using a jet washer - making sure it is all removed, especially on a black car and on a sunny day. You don't want any horrible dried water marks :cry:

3) Now you need another 2 buckets (different to the ones you used to clean your wheels). Again one contains your water and shampoo, the other just water for rinsing your wash mitt.
For shampoo I use either Chemical Guys: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php ... 44&added=1
or
Dodo Juice http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo- ... d_490.html
Both are very highly concentrated so you only need a very small amount so they last ages.
The process is wash mitt into bucket containing water and shampoo, wash a panel at a time, then rinse the wash mitt in the water only bucket, making sure there is no grit stuck to your mitt, then put the mitt back into the shampoo bucket and wash another panel and rinse again, and so on.

Once all the car is wash then rinse the car using an open hose pipe (no attachment or jet washer). Once you have protection on your car ie wax, then the less water you will have sitting on your car when you rinse it using the open hose way - making it much easier and quicker for drying.

4) Dry car using microfibre towel - preferably pat drying rather than rubbing (less chance of scratching paintwork)

5) You can clay the car at this point if you wish. New cars do contain environmental contaminants, etc etc but you will probably be best leaving this stage for the time being until you are happy with the full cleaning process. This can be done at a later stage if needs be.

6) Polish car and rub off (product suggestion pls) -Polish and waxes are 2 different things. Polish can remove scrataches and /or fill scratches giving the illusion of removing them. The theory is that the most important part is to get the polishing right as this is where the shine is added. Waxes provide protection from the elements - rain, snow, sun - uv rays etc. Wax holds water (rain) away from the paintwork ie beading and will disperse quickly once you start to driving and helps to eliminate paintwork fading / oxidisation.

I do use Autoglym Super Resin Polish - it does contain some fillers so will hide any small blemishes or scratches that may be on the paintwork - 0R and preferably for me, if you use the Dodo waxes like I do you can use the Dodo Paint Cleanser which acts as a polish too - Dodo Lime Prime
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo- ... d_441.html

7) Would I then wax the car over the top of the polish? or is wax just another name for polish? (product suggestion pls) Then you would need to wax the car. My personal favourites are the Dodo range. You can buy sample pots so you can see what you think of them before you buy a bigger pot. The sample pots can do a car 9 or 10 cars. The secret with waxing is to apply the wax as thinly as possible. The more thickly you apply it, the more difficult it is to buff off.

Sample pot Purple Haze Pro (for dark coloured cars) - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sample-si ... d_707.html
OR
Supernatural sample pot (for any coloured car - gives a very glassy, reflective finish) - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo- ... d_442.html
Both these waxes will provide up to 3 months protection. You will tell when it is start to wear off as the water will not bead so tightly on your car. You'll see what I mean when you've waxed your car and it rains :D

8) Once I've polished or waxed it, what should I then apply to give it a final gleam. (product suggestion pls) Once you've polished and then waxed - both stages are most important then you don't need to add anything further. You can add another layer of wax 24 hours after your first layer if you wish but its not really necessary.
Thereafter, once you do your weekly washes all you need to do is wheels, snow foam, rinse, wash, open hose rinse, dry. To keep your car looking top notch you can use a detailer / sealant to give it that extra zing. I use Dodo Red Mist Tropical. Spray a couple of squirts to a panel (no more) spread over the the panel with a microfibre cloth and then buff with the other side of the cloth. - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo- ... d_540.html.

Don't forget to seal your wheels with the Jetseal 109 and to really give the car that "just come of the showroom" look, I always black my tyres. This is highly recommended - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-an ... d_143.html

Use these to apply your wax - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessori ... d_633.html

And you can't have too many drying, buffing cloths -
For Drying - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibr ... od_84.html
For Buffing (these are the bees knees - lovely and soft) - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo- ... d_658.html

I usually use Autoglym Super Resin Polish and then sometimes use the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection but want to try something new.
I don't think I need to use clay at the moment due to the paint being new?

RCZ1 has already been really helpful on the forum and I know she's a right fuss pot :D when it comes to detailing (thankfully) so could I ask dearest RCZ1 (grovell) to put by the side of each stage the product that you would use as I need to get a list of products ready for me birthday. :thumbup:

cheers Greg

I hope this has been some use to you Ironman. I'm sure between me and your wife, we can really spend some money.

When is your birthday by the way?

A

Anonymous

As usual RCZ1 a great detailed reply that all members like me can learn from. Thanks for your time and effort in preparing the above.

Cheers Grant

A

Anonymous

Hey RCZ1 your are AMAZING x
Thank you very much for your reply, top lady. I will pass on all details. :thumbup:

Me berfday is Virgo time which doesn't leave you long to save up! :D

If you're ever in the Maidstone area let me know and perhaps we could foam up together ;)

A

Anonymous

IRONMAN said:
If you're ever in the Maidstone area let me know and perhaps we could foam up together ;)

Steady on there...she's a married lady :lol:

Thanks for the advice! I've been on the DW site and that has some good advice.

I've now got Autoglym products:
Custom Wheel Cleaner
Insect Remover
Alloy Wheel Seal
Bodywork shampoo
Super Resin Polish
HD Wax

I've read it's best to leave new cars a month before waxing them! And I certainly won't be using clay on my new toy.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you're sorted Brook, cool mate.

My girl seams to have wax on her already :?: and she really does shine, but can't wait to see what she will be like after I get all the kit that RCZ1 recommends! I used to have a FS1E Yamaha back in 1976 and the tank on her used to be an incredible shine, I always used turtle wax back then, probably not available now as I heard they've used up all the turtles :lol:

Hey RCZ1 you there? You'll be pleased to know, I've put me order in for all the kit you suggested and it comes to about £204.00, excellant...all I've got to do know is earn enough brownie points for the chancellor to sign it off. Must admit when I clean both mine and my wife's cars I use Autoglym products on mine and Halfords specials on hers oops....reckon that will have to change now :eusa-think:

One last thing re what Brooktop said, I really don't feel happy using an electric polisher on me new girl anyone got any views on that :?: :?:

ciao Greg

RCZ1

Reaction score
Firstly Brooktop, I don't know where you've read it that's its best to not wax a new car for a month but through all my knowledge that I've acquired over the last few years regarding detailing - I've never heard that. Professional detailers wax new cars all the time so I can't see what the problem is.

I think you may be confusing this with cars that have been newly re-sprayed. They do say its best to leave them for a good month or so before doing a full detail on them.

Claying won't damage your car. You can get varying degrees of clay, some stronger than others. Once you've clayed your car for the first time, you'll wonder why you've never done it before. It leaves your paintwork silky smooth, looking like glass and so aids a better shine and finish.

Hi Ironman

Gosh, that is a big order you've put in there. But the good thing about Clean Your Car is you accumulate points so you can use them to discount off any further orders you may have. And Yes you will have to use all the nice, new products on your wife's car too. :)

With regards to the electric polisher, there are lots of different models. If you buy those that Halfords sell, you can't do any damage - they really are not powerful enough. My hubby bought me an electric polisher for our wedding anniversay (he is so romantic - AND I did ask for it :!: :roll: ). Its a UDM orbital polisher. Again you need to be a real numb nut to do any damage to your car. Its the rotary polishes that can really do damage in the wrong hands.

Its something that you can move up to in the future but if you are careful in the way that you wash and clean your car now, then the damage you do to your paintwork will be minimal.

Hope this helps.
Kerry

A

Anonymous

Cool K, love the bit about your versary, what a women! an cheers for the info. Raises another question tho....

Difference between an Orbital and Rotary :?: I guess a rotary is like an angle grinder and an orbital is something that rotates on, an off-set cam :?:
I think I've got a rotary that has a wool mop stretched over it, does that sound right. Last time I used it the mop flew off never to be seen again :roll: ....blimey K is any of this making sense.

No stress, think I will take your advice and use elbow grease.....but....might try the rotary out on the other car on the drive :!: :eusa-shhh:

A

Anonymous

Also thank you to Brooktop, FGRob and TonyRCZ for the help on the cleaning bit

Cheers.

Must say...I look at some cars now and think...cor I would really like to give that a good clean! off for a lay down now as obviously neeeeed it :greetings-wavingblue:

Greg

RCZ1

Reaction score
IRONMAN said:
Cool K, love the bit about your versary, what a women! an cheers for the info. Raises another question tho....

Difference between an Orbital and Rotary :?: I guess a rotary is like an angle grinder and an orbital is something that rotates on, an off-set cam :?:
I think I've got a rotary that has a wool mop stretched over it, does that sound right. Last time I used it the mop flew off never to be seen again :roll: ....blimey K is any of this making sense.

No stress, think I will take your advice and use elbow grease.....but....might try the rotary out on the other car on the drive :!: :eusa-shhh:

Hi G

Cor you are getting technical now - I'm only a woman you know ;)

See the description below of basic difference between orbital and rotary. The Orbital is an angle grinder with an attachment for a backing plate and polishing pad.

WHAT IS A DUAL ACTION POLISHER?
Years ago, the vast majority of paintwork polishing was carried out using rotary polishers with wool or foam “mops”. These polishers are still the mainstay of many body shops and professional detailers and when used correctly they can deliver spectacular results. However they have a risks attached to them and require practice to be able to get the best out of them. Owing to their nature, where the pad spins on a constant orbit, a rotary polisher can develop significant heat on the paintwork which can lead to paint burns in the hands of an inexperienced user.

By contrast, a dual action polisher is a much safer tool to simply pick up and use. By dual action, it means that the pad not only spins in a circle, but it also oscillates. This results in a random orbit movement of the pad – sometimes such polishes are referred to as “Random-Orbit” polishers (RO polishers) for this reason.

The random orbit nature of a dual action polisher means that it generates far less heat than a rotary polisher. It is a more gentle tool so correction work typically takes longer. However it is also safer to use and easier to learn which makes it the ideal beginners’ tool.

I would do away with your wool pad and get something softer and kinder to your paintwork. I use these
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... at_82.html

Short description of what each of the pad does. You would need either red or black for just polishing. To be honest you just need to take your time and work your way up to paint correction. You will get great results from hand polishing - just be patient.

Red - Glazing / Waxing / Finishing
Use with non-abrasive glazes for example, such as EZ Creme Glaze or Lime Prime Lite for cleansing, or to apply liquid or solid waxes.

Black - Finishing
Use with finishing polishes for refinement purposes or light correction on softer paint types - typically with Menzerna PO85RD Final Finish, or PO106FA Super Finish or Meguiars #205 etc...

Blue - Light Polishing
Use with finishing polishes for finishing or light correction work, or slightly more abrasive polishes for light to moderate correction work - typical polishes would be Menzerna Final/Super Finish, 203S Power Finish, Meguiars #205, 3M Ultrafina or Extra Fine Cut.

White - Polishing
The workhorse pad of the range - for polishing duties, anything from light correction to moderate/heavy correction depending on the paint. Use with anything from Menzerna PO106FA Super Finish to PO85RD3.02 Intensive Polish, Meguiars #205 or #105, 3M Extra Fine Cut, Ultrafina etc.

Green - Heavy Polishing
Bridging the gap between general polishing and cutting/compounding where an intermediate step is required... use for more severe correction than the white pad, with products such as PO203S Super Finish, Meguiars #205/105, Intensive Polish etc.

Orange - Cutting
A heavy correction pad, typical products would be Intensive Polish for heavy correction, or for more severe work products like Power Gloss, Fast Gloss, Fast Cut Plus, #205(SMAT finishing polish can cut well on this pad!), #105 etc.

Yellow - Compounding
Top of the tree cutting wise, this is the heavy duty pad for use with products such as Fast Cut Plus, Power Gloss, #105 etc for severe defect correction.

Have fun :D

A

Anonymous

Hi Kerry - think it must have applied to a respray ie giving it time to cure.

I've rechecked the Autoglym site and it says its actually the ideal time to add HD Wax. So that's what I'll be doing. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Thanks K top lady as always. Do you have a delivery date for your girl yet?

Hey Brooktop let us know the results please.

Cheers Greg :greetings-wavingblue:

p.s. I've washed my girl twice this week and got a nice sunny run upto Heathrow this afternoon, really hope the M25 is slow, gives all the other drivers time to look on and weep :lol:

RCZ1

Reaction score
IRONMAN said:
Thanks K top lady as always. Do you have a delivery date for your girl yet?

Hey Brooktop let us know the results please.

Cheers Greg :greetings-wavingblue:

p.s. I've washed my girl twice this week and got a nice sunny run upto Heathrow this afternoon, really hope the M25 is slow, gives all the other drivers time to look on and weep :lol:

No delivery date yet. Due to be built 3rd September. I'm hoping the dealer gets in touch soon with more info.

Enjoy your drive this afternoon :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Crikey Kerry aka RCZ1, sounds like you know how to look after a car. Hmmm, think a weekly ride to East Riding of Yorkshire for my car to be cleaned by you sounds like a good idea ;) ;) ;) Then again, I have chosen Opal White so it might need more than a weekly clean. How does twice a week sound to you??????????? :thumbup:

Michelle aka RCZDOG

RCZ1

Reaction score
RCZDOG said:
Crikey Kerry aka RCZ1, sounds like you know how to look after a car. Hmmm, think a weekly ride to East Riding of Yorkshire for my car to be cleaned by you sounds like a good idea ;) ;) ;) Then again, I have chosen Opal White so it might need more than a weekly clean. How does twice a week sound to you??????????? :thumbup:

Michelle aka RCZDOG

Michelle, you would be more than welcome :) A weekly wash would be sufficient I think :!:

I just love cleaning cars. You get such great job satisfaction when you've finished - lovely, shiny, gleaming car. Nice comments from others also make it worthwhile. :thumbup: