What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Cut out and will not start

ZerokoolRCZ

Reaction score
Hi all, need some help,
I was driving from Essex to Carlisle, and 200 miles in the spluttered then cut out, would not re-start, 5 hours later the RAC finally turned up, plugged his box in, and the only coming up was fuel level error?
re-set the error code, added some more fuel to my half a tank, but still nothing, maybe fuel pump was mentioned.
So, couldn't get me to Carlisle as way of his towing area, so they put me and 4 year old daughter up in hotel, then next day on flatbed to Carlisle as closer than home and friend I was seeing was a mechanic,
Got new high pressure fuel pump next day, fitted in amazing time, but still nothing :mad:, now the fuel range is showing 1100 miles until empty, what is that about?
Any other pumps on this car as only had 3 months, maybe sender unit issue, don't know location of that?

Any ideas?

Thanks

TheWest

Reaction score
There is a pump on the low pressure side. Check the manual for specific details though Peugeot RCZ workshop manual PDF

I would pop the low pressure pipe off the hpfp, turn the car over and see if anything squirts out. Could be a few things really, bad pump / air lock / water in fuel / blockage.

Definitely start by looking at the simplest explanations, though. i.e. is the fuel flowing? If not, where does it stop?

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you had it on a proper diagnostic machine? See what fault codes pop up?

lfe

Reaction score
Connecting to the ODBII port, you should observe the pressure in the injector rack. When you turn the key, it should rise to 5 bar, which is the pressure given by the pump in the tank. If it does not, the tank should be removed to access the bomb

Pedro

Reaction score
Normally you get a EML light on if fuel issues happens it might be the low pressure pump with sensor which in turn sends bad info to the ECU & affects the dash computer read outs

cambo

Reaction score
Hi mate

As mentioned, above the RCZ has an in tank low pressure fuel pump with an integrated fuel level sensor. Check the fuel pump fuse, which should be a 30A one (F10 fuse in the engine bay). If it's gone, it's most likely your fuel pump motor is blown. That fuse also supplies the ECU so you can get other errors with it.

You can actually test the pump resistance by disconnecting the fuel pump harness that is located in front of the passenger side rear wheel. If the resistance is less or equal to 0.4Ohms then you'll need a new pump. A new pump has a resistance of around 0.7ohmw. Have done the job myself and it's a pain but can be done.

Note that you don't get errors for this pump when it goes bad as it takes out the fuse.

ZerokoolRCZ

Reaction score
Thanks all,
car still in Carlisle and I’m in Essex, garage has now said they had a mechanic leave so even looked at it yet 😞
may get him to diagnose fault then go up there and pay to use his lift and do myself