What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coolant pipe at rear of petrol engine

TL17

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a damaged flexi water hose (seems driveshaft has been touching it and worn) that goes up to the back of the engine - 1.6 petrol - it’s the pipe connected directly to another pipe that goes to the bottom of the coolant expansion tank.

it seems a bit of a bu**er to get access to where it is connected behind the engine. Has anyone done this job before? I can see that removing the alternator drive belt tensioner might give a bit more room, also I’m working from the wheel arch. Underneath seems to be too cluttered to be of use.

Ideas?

TL17

Reaction score
I think I’ve found a simple solution. Pipe stays connected at rear of engine. Where it is damaged (and I have easy access to that) I will cut it and insert a connector. Problem sorted and no need to disconnect from the rear of the engine. Needs must!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Sounds like a good solution. Keep us informed if it works out Ok. 👍

TL17

Reaction score
Ok, to update on this. I split the hose at the damage and inserted a connector, seems to have done the job. Perhaps I was lucky - the damage was where I could get to it. Seems cause was a lose plastic pipe mounting bracket where it is mounted at the front of the engine above the sump. It moved just enough to allow it to touch the drive shaft - clearances are not enormous there. I had a final look at alternative methods if the whole pipe needed changing - sad to say in my opinion only subframe out or engine out - horror - all to change a simple coolant pipe. Crazy.

chrismac

Reaction score
Good news that its a quick fix. I bet a replacement pipe would cost a fortune.

TL17

Reaction score
The pipe was cheap - €25. I wouldn’t like to think what the labour would be to change it. Unless of course they have some clever articulated tool for the job and it takes them 5 minutes!

Pedro

Reaction score
Good news that its a quick fix. I bet a replacement pipe would cost a fortune.
Good job done on that one they are a pain to get at but I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone has been in that engine before the fault occurred those pipes follow there own pathway around the back of the block & are pretty well secured unless they have been tampered with so as you suggest it was rubbing on the driveshaft then obviously its been uncoupled somewhere possibly/maybe to remove the water pump ?