What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coolant Light

A

Anonymous

Hey All,
I had my RCZ in the garage yesterday as I keep getting the top up engine coolant light/message pop up. Checked the level and it is at the max.
Garage said they have done leak test, diagnostics, checked sensor and everything seemd ok, no faults showing.
So i took it away from the garage, and guess what, the light come on again, it come on 3 times in an hour (most it has ever come on).
so booked in today for further investigation. Asked them why they did not do further investigation yesterday rather then fobbing me off with " just keep an eye on it" the guy said they chekced everything they could yesterday. I was told today that I may have to put up with it until the light stays on permantley (not really a solution from Peugeot).
I find it strange that a Peugeot garage can not find the fault with one of there own cars ( I blame the diagnostic check, if computer say no they dont do any futher checks).
I am hoping they find something. Waiting for the call later.
Anyone had this problem with there light coming on, but coolant level to the max ?
what do you think my next approach should be if they come back with nothing today ? Get them to call Peugeot manufacturers ? Look at this forum ?
Appreciate your responses.

A

Anonymous

Yup had the same issue. Took it in to get the coolant level sensor replaced and the issue was sorted.

A

Anonymous

I've had the same problem. Coolant warning would come on during journies of over 15 mins (presumably when engine was full warm). Took it in to Peugeot yesterday and they diagnosed a faulty sensor - the ECU did not report any faults. They diagnosed by driving with sensor connected and getting errors, then disconnecting sensor and not getting errors - who needs a fancy diagnostic computer? :D The part is on order to be fitted next week and they have disconnected the sensor so i don't get the warning over the next few days. They told me it was the second one they have had in with the same issue.

HTH

dave

alimozcan

Reaction score
I have had a similar problem in that the engine coolant light/message pops up but my issue is slightly different in that the coolant/water was actually reaching the minimum level but every 4 to 6 months. Therefore the sensor was working ok but my question is, should it be running out of coolant every 4 to 6 months (approx every five thousand miles of motorway driving)? This seemed unusual to me so I took it to a Peugeot garage and they said that they tested it for leaks and everything and that it was all ok and that it was probably because of the turbo using up the coolant. Does this seem a reasonable answer from them? Should the coolant be reaching the minimum level after approx 5,000 miles of motorway driving?

In case it helps and makes a difference, the car is a petrol GT 156 Automatic.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I've topped up the coolant level twice in my RCZ. I first did it a year ago (July) and I had to do it again a few weeks ago. In that time I've done 10,000 miles, so a bit more than you. I don't see it as a problem.

A

Anonymous

Re: causes of coolant light problem in Peugeot

This kind of problem is really irritating........... As we know there is a problem but we cant find the cause.. According to me these are the major cause for this coolant light problems... i guess these might help you....

OVERHEATING:
When the coolant temperature sensor notices a higher-than-normal temperature -- between 180 and 210 degrees Fahrenheit -- it turns this light on. Once this light comes on, check the temperature gauge and shut the vehicle down if the needle is near the "H."
LOW COOLANT:
This coolant light also comes on for a low coolant level. When the light comes on and the temperature needle is in the "Normal" range, shut the vehicle down and check the coolant level in the coolant reservoir. It should be between the "Min" and "Max" lines. Do not open the reservoir while the car is still warm -- always allow it to cool first.
FAILURE:
These switches to fail on occasion, as do all components on an Ion. If none of the aforementioned coolant problems exist, you may have a failed sensor. Have the car evaluated by a professional or perform the diagnostics yourself.

Peugeot repair

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the posts.
Just had the top up coolant logo appear on my dash but the coolant level seems fine.
By the sounds of things i need to book the car back in with peugeot to get the sensor replaced.
It is on a Nero black 1.6 THP GT petrol on a 61 Reg. :clap:

richard.au

Reaction score
Recently, at 6,500 klms, I had the warning pop up. It's been a hot summer. I wasn't too surprised.

But i only needed about two tablespoons of coolant, hardly worth bothering about.

I've not had another warning. It's curious to read the various experiences.

If I get another alert in 6,000 ks, so be it, I can live with that.

A

Anonymous

Mine has done 27000 km now. Recently, Ive also hadde the coolant level message pop up. The actual Level is at max. Should I get the sensor replaced? Had the car for almost a year now, been to the dealer twice with fixes...

A

Anonymous

Same problem. Plenty of fluid but top up message keeps coming up. Getting it checked. Prob sensor but will see!

A

Anonymous

Ive had the same problem and had sensor changed 15 months ago but the problem has happend again peugeot don't want to know as its more than 12 months since it was replaced having spoke to a mechanic I know he says this is a common fault on Peugeot and citroen with water getting into the ecu and causing this fault has anyone else heard this or not

XeviouS

Reaction score
I currently have this problem on my RCZ. At the recent service 2 weeks ago I was told that this was a very common issue with the RCZ and was given 2 options. Either I replace it at $150(AUS)...or unplug it. I have opted to buy off ebay for $41(AUS) and replace it myself.

He also mentioned the another common issue was where the temperature sensor would leak very slighly and that over time the coolant (or was it oil?) would actually travel up the sensor cable to the ECU and cause damage.

Jaross1807

Reaction score
Hey All,
I had my RCZ in the garage yesterday as I keep getting the top up engine coolant light/message pop up. Checked the level and it is at the max.
Garage said they have done leak test, diagnostics, checked sensor and everything seemd ok, no faults showing.
So i took it away from the garage, and guess what, the light come on again, it come on 3 times in an hour (most it has ever come on).
so booked in today for further investigation. Asked them why they did not do further investigation yesterday rather then fobbing me off with " just keep an eye on it" the guy said they chekced everything they could yesterday. I was told today that I may have to put up with it until the light stays on permantley (not really a solution from Peugeot).
I find it strange that a Peugeot garage can not find the fault with one of there own cars ( I blame the diagnostic check, if computer say no they dont do any futher checks).
I am hoping they find something. Waiting for the call later.
Anyone had this problem with there light coming on, but coolant level to the max ?
what do you think my next approach should be if they come back with nothing today ? Get them to call Peugeot manufacturers ? Look at this forum ?
Appreciate your responses.
I had this on Christmas day. I found that even though the coolant level was full, there was a very large air bubble in the system. Took about half an hour to release the air which was under pressure and seriously hot. The temp gauge said the car was running at 90c which is the normal temp. The air bubble seemed to be blocking flow to the radiator and was only cycling through the engine to the expansion tank until the air bubble was released