What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coolant issues

Welsh_andy

Reaction score
Hi my 156 rcz for around 2 weeks and noticed I'm going through coolant like water through my fingers. I filled the expansion tank up 3 times in 2 weeks. No head gasket failure signs can't see any leaks either.
Any ideas

Thx

chrismac

Reaction score
Put a sheet of cardboard under the engine overnight - check for a slow leak.

Then get a pressure test done at a local garage - should cost only a few pounds - and have a close look inside the oil filler cap - look for the dreaded sludge.

Hopefully its a simple issue like a damaged hose.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
It will most likely be the thermostat housing a plastic unit that splits over time a real common issue not too costly to sort.

Welsh_andy

Reaction score
Cheers. I'm thinking thermostats as bottom rad hose is cold. Normally points to thermostat I would have thought

Charlierat78

Reaction score
Cheers. I'm thinking thermostats as bottom rad hose is cold. Normally points to thermostat I would have thought
Did you get to the cause of this issue?? I bought a 10 plate rcz recently and had a similar problem with the rad hose at the bottom being cold and air in the water system. Currently the car is in pieces as we suspected the head gasket but that appears to be ok.

Norton596

Reaction score
Also having similar problems with my 10 plate will check the bottom hose tomorrow

wilsofar

Reaction score
At long last after thermostat housing and expansion tank cap replacement my local Indy garage gave an extra tighten on the expansion cap ,far more than I would have dared ,and voila there is no further fluid loss!

Simples ..when you know what you’re doing!

Pedro

Reaction score
I'd go with Neil on the leaking thermostat housing mine started losing coolant & I used a camera to get at the Tank & the seam along the top where they are welded together was split its a P**S poor design for that amount of Heat & pressure under load that's the reason there are hundreds for sale for Peugeot variants ?

RCZAuto

Reaction score
Have had to refill twice in a month so will also try all of the above. Had the water pump replaced in March after overheating warning, identified as leaking. Will take back for a pressure test to see where the current leak is and report.