What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coolant for RCZ

A

Anonymous

Coolant warning light came on at weekend,took to Truscotts Exeter this morning.we have a split pipe which is on order for a Wednesday fix.excellent service and very polite.hopefully nothing worse

A

Anonymous

Hatman said:
I used to remember when they used to use water to cool engines with a mixture of antifreeze!

Sorry if I have missed something, what has changed?

No it has not, but they would like you to think it has, so they can sell you a nice colour one. They have got a few more additives in, but not masses.

Paul141

A

Anonymous

Peren said:
My car say's "top up Coolant" now and the. The strange thing is that it is around max all the time and when the message pops up it is after driving for half an hour...

Same problem, but the message pops up only in the beginning when the engine is cold (and only in cold days).
Is it a faulty sensor? Should I visit the service?

A

Anonymous

Had the coolant level light come on twice. First time ended up with some sales guy who said it happens on new cars. I have had 5 new company cars, none of them Peugeot, and have never had the problem. Second time went in while the service bay was open and have been told that it is due to the RCZ having a metal Head Gasket. This expands slightly and causes a tiny loss of coolant. Apparently it is just the way it is and we should keep an eye out on the coolant bottle. The car was bought in April and has only done 7.5k. Don't think another Peugeot is on the cards when the time comes. :cry:

RCZ1

Reaction score
grahamdiane said:
Had the coolant level light come on twice. First time ended up with some sales guy who said it happens on new cars. I have had 5 new company cars, none of them Peugeot, and have never had the problem. Second time went in while the service bay was open and have been told that it is due to the RCZ having a metal Head Gasket. This expands slightly and causes a tiny loss of coolant. Apparently it is just the way it is and we should keep an eye out on the coolant bottle. The car was bought in April and has only done 7.5k. Don't think another Peugeot is on the cards when the time comes. :cry:

I started this thread in July last year when my light came on. Topped it up and not had a problem since.
The coolant's cheap so its not a big problem. There are worse things that could happen. :D

A

Anonymous

Im with you Hatman..............................Thats all coolant basically is , Aqua and a smelly clouring agent .

Mal

A

Anonymous

I have had the engine coolant level light come up almost constantly for the last 18 months even though there is plenty of coolant in it. I picked my car up on Friday night after it had been there for 2 and a half weeks while they changed the head gasket. I got in it on Saturday morning and lo and behold the light came on again!! :thumbdown: I drove it right back to the dealer and am now without my precious car again!!

It has been to the dealer 4 times now They can't find out why the light is coming up. It has also previously had the sensor replaced - but to no avail! They are contacting Peugeot as we speak to see if they know what is causing it and I am waiting for them to get back to me. I will keep you posted IF they find out what is causing it.

A

Anonymous

Mines been doing it for months with no loss of coolant. As the car has now completely quit on me this evening whilst being stuffed to the roof with my drum kit I think I will insist that Toomeys sort this problem out whilst getting it running again. It's clearly a sensor issue, but due to being intermittent they want me to leave the car with them instead of just changing it?

A lesson learnt the hard way. If (like me) you remove the foam insert that sits in the spare wheel bay to increase room then make sure you put the towing eye in the car. The recovery vehicle could not load mine without it so I was 100% stranded this evening and it was very cold brrrrrrr (this was the first time I have ever left this at home)

Oh the joys of owning a mid-life-crisis vehicle :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

mikegunn said:
Mines been doing it for months with no loss of coolant. As the car has now completely quit on me this evening whilst being stuffed to the roof with my drum kit I think I will insist that Toomeys sort this problem out whilst getting it running again. It's clearly a sensor issue, but due to being intermittent they want me to leave the car with them instead of just changing it?

A lesson learnt the hard way. If (like me) you remove the foam insert that sits in the spare wheel bay to increase room then make sure you put the towing eye in the car. The recovery vehicle could not load mine without it so I was 100% stranded this evening and it was very cold brrrrrrr (this was the first time I have ever left this at home)

Oh the joys of owning a mid-life-crisis vehicle :eusa-whistle:
So so sorry to read this. I feel for ya. I really really hope that they resolve the issues promptly and that you can once again "bond" with your mid life crises vehicle. Honestly they are brilliant fun and wipe years off your age.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about using a particular coolant if I am honest. Quite simply, engine coolant is just antifreeze. I put the ready mixed stuff from Halfrauds in mine some time at the start of January and it is absolutely fine.

A

Anonymous

Well if I was losing / using all this coolant OR if I was getting a "low level" message for no apparent reason, then it would be a visit to the dealer for answers. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Salemwitch said:
I have had the engine coolant level light come up almost constantly for the last 18 months even though there is plenty of coolant in it. I picked my car up on Friday night after it had been there for 2 and a half weeks while they changed the head gasket. I got in it on Saturday morning and lo and behold the light came on again!! :thumbdown: I drove it right back to the dealer and am now without my precious car again!!

It has been to the dealer 4 times now They can't find out why the light is coming up. It has also previously had the sensor replaced - but to no avail! They are contacting Peugeot as we speak to see if they know what is causing it and I am waiting for them to get back to me. I will keep you posted IF they find out what is causing it.

Yep, the head gasket would be one of my concerns with this coolant lose thing, that a lot of people have commented on. .

The coolant has to be going somewhere or it's an electrical issue with the sensor. No other reason :eusa-think: