What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Cold engine rattle

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Had my Launch edition for 3 weeks now and absolutely love this car but this morning the wife started it up from cold whilst I was outside the car and the engine sounded like a diesel very rattley this took a couple of minutes to quieten down the car runs great and the engine runs smooth the cars only done 18k is this normal on cold start up? :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

It's normal in that it's a known issue that can affect many cars using this engine. It's likely a timing issue so I would get it checked and replaced under warranty

Sent from my Xperia Z1

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that my car is now 4 years old so is out of warranty do you think peugot will honor a repair if it's a known fault? :roll:

A

Anonymous

best bet would be to take out the extended warranty policy if its been serviced in line with the schedule.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll get my local Peugeot dealer to give it a look over and let you know what happens. I had thought about going down the extended warranty rout it would probably be cheaper in the long run. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

definetly bud.. the earlier THPs do "seem" more prone to engine timing issues.

Supposedly rectified with later revisions tho

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick update on the engine rattle issue l let a Peugeot mechanic have a listen to the engine today and he confirmed it's the timing chain and tensioner problem. :thumbdown:
He has told me that Revised parts from Peugeot rectify the problem and he had replaced quite a few and never had any return with the same problem. quote £550 for full timing set fitted. So it's booked in for the repair next week. Then hopefully I can get on and enjoy this fabulous car!