What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coil pack failed

chrismac

Reaction score
Out for a drive yesterday, Forest of Dean & Wye Valley. Engine stuttered, Engine warning light etc.
Called the AA, Warning light had dissapeared but engine still stuttering. AA chap was pretty sure it was a coil, so No2. was replaced and now runs like a dream.

He charged me £93 for the coil (he looked it up on his gizmo), it was only when I got home that I found Euro Car Parts have a Bosche on for £45 ish. Goint to get the AA to explain their pricing.

Kerr

Reaction score
Coils packs are about £20-25 each and it's best to change them all at the same time.

Do they charge labour? Was £93 for one?

chrismac

Reaction score
Yep, £93 for one. Shouldn't be charging labour as I'm a full member.

Last edited:

Charlie1875

Reaction score
Wow, you have had your pants pulled down there, yes bosch ones are £20-£25 each, recommended to change all 4 at the same time

Flanners

Reaction score
if the car is high mileage maybe change out all the coil packs......otherwise personally I would replace just the faulty one and then carry a spare in the boot.

chrismac

Reaction score
Only got 40,000 miles on the clock and regularly serviced. I will get a spare and keep it in the boot. Now that I know what a failed one behaves like I will be prepared.

Sunseeker

Reaction score
Hi there.

A few tips for coils issues :

1 - NEVER EVER use Bosch one's , they're rubbish , NGK only.
2 - Change all 4 of em not only 1, every 15k km's
3 - Make attention : if u take a bump , or a road with a dislevel at moderate speed , the coil can detatch.
This have caused me more than a headache on my R 2 years ago , i was thinking the ecu remap was causing serious
problems , but one day a noticed that maybe for the low balance of the car and the stiffness of the suspension , especially on the R
the coils can be disconnected by the cushioning force. Fixed with a bit of thermal mechanical paste around coils.

lfe

Reaction score
Garages often earn more on parts discount than on labor.

Surely they have applied the Peugeot original parts tariff

Pedro

Reaction score
Bad plug maintenance helps to murder coil packs as they generate heat which is transferred into the coils & they don't like it one bit so check your plugs regularly like I do & yours will last as long as mine has since fitted 21.651 Klms & no misfires !🤣

TheWest

Reaction score
Sunseeker. What does 'Never use Bosch ones' mean? It can't have escaped your attention that most people here use the Bosch coils. It's a trusted brand, generally regarded as slightly more reliable than the generic china shit. And I sort of get it, I've used NGK since I owned my first motorcycle in the 80s. Nevertheless, can you provide any verifiable evidence to suggest the Bosch coils are somehow inferior?

What is wrong with the Bosch coils?

Charlie1875

Reaction score
I have used bosch products for over 30 years, never had an issue, personally bosch, ngk or Delphi coils are all good, I wouldn’t fit unbranded or eBay bought ones ever.

also would always change all 4 together, if your keeping the car as weeks later another coil usually fails.