What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Chevrolet Cruze

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Are they any good? My brother was looking at one to buy this coming fall. 2010-ish modelyear with a 2.0L diesel.

It is essentially an Astra with a fairly decent engine from what i can tell. But how about the rest of it? Know anyone who has one or can recommend them? I'm a bit skeptical myself what with it being a Chevy and all... :eusa-whistle:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Arent european Chevys basically what Daewoos were?

I have no experience of them though sorry. :(

renegade79

Reaction score
I seemed to remember I hired one of these in Bosnia a few years back and I wasn't impressed with it at all. I drove it about 1000km in a week and not one of those KM did I enjoy this car and I love driving. I think the engine was a 1.5 and it was very weezy and underpowered plus the interior build quality isn't very good either. I wouldn't recommend this car at all.

frankvdb

Reaction score
I've driven a Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.7 CTDi rental car not so long ago in Sweden for a week covering well over 1000 km.

It was okay.
It had a manual 6-speed box and the engine was also OK but didn't have the torque that I have in my RCZ HDi so I stalled it several times, which however was not a problem at all because it also has start/stop which automatically restarts the engine if you stalled it. Very useful on a rental car :thumbup:

Indeed these Chevrolets are not related to Opel/Vauxhall but originate from Daewoo so are Korean and the interior is far from inspiring. Kia is much better in that respect.
I'm pretty sure the engine/drive train is Opel/Vauxhall though.

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Are you not mixing it with the old model? Cause that one was indeed based on a Daewoo, but not in it's current state.

According to Wikipedia:

Underpinned by the front-wheel drive GM Delta II platform, GM has confirmed the Cruze development program occurred under a global design and engineering team.[26] GM Daewoo in South Korea played a leading role in the design and engineering of the Cruze, along with GM's German-based Opel division.

Production vehicles based on Delta II platform:

2008 - present Chevrolet Cruze, Daewoo Lacetti Premiere, Holden Cruze[5]
2009 - present Opel Astra J, Buick Excelle XT
2010 - present Chevrolet Volt
2010 - present Chevrolet Orlando
2011 - present Buick Verano
2011 - present Opel Ampera
2011 - present Opel Zafira Tourer C
2013 - present Cadillac ELR[6][not in citation given][7][not in citation given]
2013 - present Opel Cascada[8]

They also have pretty similar gauge clusters (and steering wheel) to the Astra if not the exact same one from what i've been looking at.

Anyway my brother wasn't looking at the 1.7, only the 2.0L which comes in 130-160 bhp.

So you'd say it's okay as an everyday "to & from work" car?

frankvdb

Reaction score
It does indeed appear to be based on GM platform and components but the thing I meant is that it is designed by Koreans so it doesn't make you feel like you're driving a European car if that is what you're looking for.
With respect to build quality the Koreans have come a long way and Kia are now also making big steps in design but that is not yet the case with this Cruze.

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Yes i understand that all too well :D Asian designed car built by americans... Hence my skepticism to it being an actual car :lol:

But it looks fairly alright tho. Best looking Chevy after the Corvette? :D Maybe that's exaggerating....
I've never seen one up close tho so i can't really say.