What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

car wash?

shinyred

Reaction score
I love my car to bits, but I do NOT have time for doing the elaborate hand-washing prescribed here.

I suppose an automatic car-wash is out of the question?? :D

Seriously, what's the compromise ? Can I safely use the garage jet-wash on her?

Thanks in advance for helpful advice!

A

Anonymous

I see no reason why not. It is all down to how you want your car to look. You can't get it dry at the local jet wash point. I don't believe that they are too good at cleaning a car either. But I don't see what harm you can do. So if time is not available to lavish on your car then yes it's a compromise

A

Anonymous

Automatic car wash !!!!!!!!! :eek:

Oh god i feel dizzy, Ron help tell me i'm dreaming. :crazy:

If hand washing is out of the question then the jet -wash is far far better than the Auto Wash. :eusa-think:
But in reality she really needs hand bathing in a mild lather with some candles burning. :lol:

If you do use the jet -wash try to get one with the foam, it's a bit more expensive but at least it will give a better wash, but as Ron says, you cant dry the car so expect water marks.

But DONT USE AN AUTOMATIC CAR WAS, Unless you want paintwork that looks like Torvill and Dean have been dancing on it. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

i use dilute car wash from b & --- £5 per gallon and spray the whole car with it useing a pump type garden sprayer. then handwash with a good mitt and bucket warm water. as its drying i showroom shine the whole car, windows, wheels, trim,the whole lot takes 25 minutes and it gleems. bzzzzzzzzzzzz

RCZ1

Reaction score
You could use the jet wash but that alone won't get your car clean. If you could use one with foam, like Jactac said, that would be better BUT you do need to dry the car properly otherwise you will get horrible water marks.

I know of some people that go to the jet wash and take with them one of those small garden sprayers you can buy from Wilkinson's, filled with a mix of water and shampoo and spray it over the car and wash the car with a mitt. When done rinse it off and then dry down with an ultra soft micro fibre towel. Not ideal but better than just jet washing.

If you could put a layer of wax on it or one of the sealants that last for 8/9 months then that would give it some protection from the elements and you would only have to do it once a year, if you started now. Applying a sealant would take half an hour at the most. That way you are giving your RCZ some TLC - surely it deserves that much :thumbup:

shinyred

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments!! :thumbup:

At the moment I'm using Mr Shiney /Bee's method :lol: , which hasn't been too bad considering my car doesn't have to live outdoors and I use the dustcover. But when the time comes, the rest of you have given me some good ideas. Affording the car is one thing, having (or wanting to) spend the time to give it a personal bed-bath every week is quite another. So I will use your good advice to cautiously soap her down at the jet wash and dry her off by hand pronto.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

but dont use a sponge & chamois to soap her down and dry her off :eek: ....................noodle mitt/lamswool mitt & microfibre towels respectively only - If theres only one bit of the advice you'll follow make sure it is this!

RCZ1

Reaction score
Nelliebear, please tell me that is NOT your car :eek:

I dread to think what state the roof Arches, roof panel, paintwork........ Is in O M G :eek:

A

Anonymous

Years ago I had a puma that I only ever handwashed but when I traded it in I thought I'd run it through a car wash on the way there. After it dried the car was covered in swirls, I'd gone from perfect paintwork to something that was covered in fine marks. Whoever say these things don't scratch is fibbing.

So if it was me and I couldn't find the time I'd try an find a local drive in carwash that do it all by hand.

But honestly, I'd doubt I'd do that I'd probably just reduce the complexity of the wash and do the following:

rinse of all the dirt with a normal hose
I would then stll use two buckets one soap, one rinse with Meguiars Gold wash, lambswool mit (halfords) and grit guards in my buckets
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/meguiars-grit-guard-and-bucket/prod_232.html
rinse soap off
Then dry with a Miracle Dryer - this is amazing for drying. I'd buy this again any day of the week.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/miracle-dryer-ultra-plush-25-x-36-/prod_362.html

It may not sound like it but this is actually a really quick method for hand washing the dryer dries the car in minutes

A

Anonymous

My car gets washed every 2 weeks. Meguiars Lambswool mitt and huge microfiber towels from UK. I wash with Meguiars Gold Class shampoo and then pat dry. Easy. Takes me 30-45 minutes and the car is gleaming. I also get it professionally detailed every 4 months to keep it in tip top condition. After a year of ownership the paint looks like it was sprayed on yesterday!