What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Brown spots on paintwork after Supa Guard

A

Anonymous

Ihave just washed my car for the first time after having it for just over a week and found a lot of raised little brown spots on the bonnet, boot and rear arches. If i scratch the raised spots off with my finger nail and try to wash off it leaves a spot that will not come off and is smooth.

The only way I can explain it is that it looks like there were tiny bits of metal on the car which they sealed in or landed on the car after they had put the sealer on and they have gone rusty.

Have any of you heard of or experienced this? :thumbdown:

RCZ1

Reaction score
What you are describing are iron filings / contaminants. All cars have them, even new, but they are more noticeable on white cars. If cars have been stood near railway lines for example or stood in compounds for a while, this is how they can be picked up, along with general air contaminants. You can buy products to get rid of these, Ironx - see link below however as you have supaguard on your car I'm not sure how it will work. There's a good chance it will reduce it the supaguard protection.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-an ... d_726.html

I use Ironx on my car, every time I do a full detail, which is about twice a year. Claying takes the top off, as you have discovered by taking the top off with your finger nails, unfortunately the rest is still imbedded in the paintwork, hence the need for Ironx. Don't be alarmed by Ironx when you come to use. After you have washed the car in the normal manner and dried it, you spray the Iron x onto a panel and leave for 2 - 5 minutes. All the iron particles on the car start to turn bright red and depending on how bad the car is, looks like its bleeding. As I said, don't be alarmed, just rub the panel with a microfibre cloth to get rid of the red marks and then rinse and dry, then onto the next panel, working around the car. There's was hardyly any on my car when I gave it its winter detail a few weeks ago, when using the Ironx. If you keep on top of it, they will be vastly reduced in months to come.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_8CEF ... rge%29.JPG

A

Anonymous

helps if your car is 'roosty orange' already like mine is :lol: :lol: you don't notice it!!!

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
What you are describing are iron filings / contaminants. All cars have them, even new, but they are more noticeable on white cars. If cars have been stood near railway lines for example or stood in compounds for a while, this is how they can be picked up, along with general air contaminants. You can buy products to get rid of these, Ironx - see link below however as you have supaguard on your car I'm not sure how it will work. There's a good chance it will reduce it the supaguard protection.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-an ... d_726.html

I use Ironx on my car, every time I do a full detail, which is about twice a year. Claying takes the top off, as you have discovered by taking the top off with your finger nails, unfortunately the rest is still imbedded in the paintwork, hence the need for Ironx. Don't be alarmed by Ironx when you come to use. After you have washed the car in the normal manner and dried it, you spray the Iron x onto a panel and leave for 2 - 5 minutes. All the iron particles on the car start to turn bright red and depending on how bad the car is, looks like its bleeding. As I said, don't be alarmed, just rub the panel with a microfibre cloth to get rid of the red marks and then rinse and dry, then onto the next panel, working around the car. There's was hardyly any on my car when I gave it its winter detail a few weeks ago, when using the Ironx. If you keep on top of it, they will be vastly reduced in months to come.

Thanks RCZ1, but I thought having the paintwork protected would have stopped this? I had another look this morning and it is getting worse.When it goes in to morrow to get the rattling dashboard sorted I will mention it and see if they can do something for me... :(

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_8CEF ... rge%29.JPG

A

Anonymous

Mmmm, interesting,
I've had the Gardx treatment and i've noticed the same thing, i thought it was insect droppings, or tree sap.
they seem to be tiny "blood spots" but slightly more of an orange colour.

I do find that Autoglym Super Resin polish will remove them, and the ones i've spotted are not under the Gardx treatment, as they do polish off.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I managed to get a few off but did not have the time to do all of it.

I am sure they are tiny bits of metal, in fact I will see if they stick to a magnet and see what happens..

RCZ1

Reaction score
The iron filings will have been there before the Supguard was applied I'm afraid. I think I'm fair in saying that Iron x or the like has not made it into dealers valeters kit bags yet :!: This is why I bang on about professional detailers. They are miles ahead of anything a valeter will do. A valet and a detail are 2 totally different things. It's like the Premier league against the Blue Square Premier :eusa-whistle:

The iron filings / air contaminants are always going to adhere to the car ( any car ), even on a well protected car. It's a fact of life. This is why full details are carried out 2 or 3 times a year, to remove these and other sorts of contaminants. These all stop a car's shine from being at it's very best.

Jactac, yes they are like orange blood spots. I'm afraid polishing won't remove them fully, in the same way that claying doesn't. You are just taking the tops off. The Iron x draws them out of the paintwork as they are embedded. A magnet won't help either I'm afraid. Don't be afraid of Iron x, it does a great job and you only need to do it, once or twice a year.

A

Anonymous

They are strange sort of tiny specs that i can pick off with my nail then polish off the tiny bit of residue that is left behind.

Once i have polished off any remaining bits it doesnt seem to reappear, so i'm guessing these are on top off the Gardx and not underneath it.
I've only noticed probably 4 or 5 specs since i've had the car and all seem to have dissapeared after polishing.

Fingers crossed eh :eusa-think:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Yeah they will adhere on top of the paint regardless of having Gardx, Supaguard, waxes or anything else on it. They will still be there but as I said, you have taken the top off them, so making them less noticeable.

A

Anonymous

add me as a casualty for these every time i wax my car which is every week i have new orange dimples that are stone hard but i get them off using polish. never have had a car with such marks.............in my down ward facing drive Mr H :lol:

RCZ1

Reaction score
It's part of the joy of owning a White car I'm afraid :eusa-whistle:

I can't recommend Ironx enough and to be honest I don't get many on mine either. When I detailed my car for winter a few weeks ago, I gave it a blast of ironx and the contamination was barely evident. To my mind it's best to get rid of them totally rather than keep taking the tops off them. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Thanks k,
As you will appreciate i dont want to remove the Gardx.

Do you think the reason why i can quite easily remove these "blood speckles" with a bit of polish is because they are sitting on top of the Gardx, in other words the Gardx is doing what it should be doing.
This is why i dont want to remove the Gardx if i can help it .

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Thanks k,
As you will appreciate i dont want to remove the Gardx.

Do you think the reason why i can quite easily remove these "blood speckles" with a bit of polish is because they are sitting on top of the Gardx, in other words the Gardx is doing what it should be doing.
This is why i dont want to remove the Gardx if i can help it .

jactac i think your just putting a wee bit too much emphasis on the Gaurd X my mate :thumbup: honest it aint that special and can be re-applied at anytime by yourself
i had a car supergaurded and it wasnt that great mate and its the same gear

A

Anonymous

Yeah maybe,
but i am impressed with it so far and any bits of tar ect just wash off, honestly cleaning the cars seems a breeze compared to my previous cars.