What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Brake Pad Removal

A

Anonymous

Hi All,
Can someone please give me some guidance on how to remove the front pads please? I got as far as removing the spring clip and then came to a grinding halt.
Any help would be most welcome.
Many thanks.

Brolly

Reaction score
Hi..
Brakes are ATE on the front and are housed in a caliper carrier, there are two retaining bolts which when removed will allow you to take off the caliper. The pads will then be accessible and can be taken out..

Refit is obviously a reverse of the above, changed mine a few weeks ago.

The retaining bolts are thread locked so take a bit of force to remove first time.

Hope that is some help

A

Anonymous

Hi Brolly
Thank you for the reply. I tried to work on the front brake this weekend and found what appeared to be two Allen bolts hidden in plastic tubes with dust caps on. However I could not find a metric or imperial Allen key to fit? Are these the bolts you speak of and if so do you happen to know what fits them.
Thank for your help.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Howardf,
I'm going to try again at the weekend. I want to get the pads out so I can paint the calipers. And it is the bolts inside the plastic tubes that I needed to undo? I've looked for YouTube clips or Web images without any luck.
Thanks again.

Brolly

Reaction score
hi

I think the plastic tubes you are describing are the caliper sliders of the pad carrier.
The bolts that hold the caliper on are on the inside of the hub and are 2 torx bolts.

I have uploaded a photo of an ate caliper, it might not be a Rcz one but is very similar and reasonably easy to remove .

The caliper splits into 2 parts number 1 is the main body,and number 3 is the pad carrier.

When you undo the torx bolts on the inside that should enable you to remove the caliper, unclip the pads and slide the carrier of its sliders.

Then you can get your tin of red smooth hammerite out and start the painting

cheers

Attachments

• ate  caliper.jpg
    ate caliper.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 5,509
A

Anonymous

Cheers Brolly,
Thank you for the indepth reply and image. I didn't come across the torx screws on my first attemp but this weekend I'll be looking for them. Then I can get painting. So far I've resisted the temptation to do it with the pads in.
Pictures will follow.
Cheers

A

Anonymous

A brief update.
The two guide bolts holding the ate caliper together was indeed a 7mm hex drive and the reason I struggled on my first attempt was that I did not own a 7mm hex drive in all of my sets. So today a visit to Screwfix rectified this and I then set about taking the caliper apart which was easier than on some other cars. 4 coats of Halfords red caliper paint later and that's one side done. Tomorrow side two. Thanks again for all your guidence it had made this task so much easier.

A

Anonymous

It will be great to see the finished result as it's something I might have a go at when I change my pads in the not to distant future.