What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Android Head Unit Volume Control From Stalk

Ballcock

Reaction score
Bonjour,

I hope you’re all groovy.

Newb here, I’m collecting my new wheels on Saturday.

I’m that excited I’ve got myself one of the android head units. I’ve worked out 99.9% of the install but…

I’d quite like the volume controls on the stalk to work. I’ve had a look at the pin out of the RD45 stereo that’s in and I can’t work out what cable is the volume control. Does anyone know what it’s called or am I going to need pull the steering column to bits to find out what colour it is? 😀

Please save me from having to do that. 🙏

Thanks in advance, Rob.

lfe

Reaction score
Keep in mind that in modern cars there is no longer a cable for each button, lamp or function, the devices communicate through digital communication, the most used system in cars is the CAN Bus

Ballcock

Reaction score
Keep in mind that in modern cars there is no longer a cable for each button, lamp or function, the devices communicate through digital communication, the most used system in cars is the CAN Bus
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

i’m aware of that. As I understand it, the switches have different resistors in them and tte output voltage depends on which switch is pressed. So, for example, volume up will output 0.5v whereas volume down will output 0.4v. So there should only be 2 cables. A voltage cable and a ground.

The instructions for the unit say there’s a ‘key’ and connect the other to ground.
So my question is, what wire from the Peugeot loom do I attach to the ‘key! wire?

Thanks

RZC2010

Reaction score
ive just fitted an android unit into my 2010 RCZ, i used a canbus controller and it was then plug and play once i found the correct brand of controller in the system settings. the head unit connects to a lot more than just the steering controls. mine connects to headlamps, doors,trip computer,reverse sensors+more. so canbus would be the way to go.

Ballcock

Reaction score
ive just fitted an android unit into my 2010 RCZ, i used a canbus controller and it was then plug and play once i found the correct brand of controller in the system settings. the head unit connects to a lot more than just the steering controls. mine connects to headlamps, doors,trip computer,reverse sensors+more. so canbus would be the way to go.
Brill, thanks. I’ll give that a blast. It just seems that my canbus is missing the wires for stalk control. But it’s my first go, first Peugeot and first attempt.
Out of interest, what head unit do you have?
Mine is an EZoneTronics.

Cheers, Rob.

RZC2010

Reaction score
Mine was a ycjb off Amazon. When you look into the big multi plug, there will be a lot of empty pins. About half will not be used in the new plug. But it will still work. There are big pins and small pins on the original radio. None of the small ones are used with the android unit.

Ballcock

Reaction score
Brill!

i’ll be connecting to the can bus controller so I’ll see how I get on in a week or so.

Thanks again for your help.

lfe

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

i’m aware of that. As I understand it, the switches have different resistors in them and tte output voltage depends on which switch is pressed. So, for example, volume up will output 0.5v whereas volume down will output 0.4v. So there should only be 2 cables. A voltage cable and a ground.

The instructions for the unit say there’s a ‘key’ and connect the other to ground.
So my question is, what wire from the Peugeot loom do I attach to the ‘key! wire?

Thanks

CAN Bus does not work in an analog way by changing resistances, it is a digital transmission bus and among many other informations the position of the buttons is transmitted.

Obviously for your Android to have that information it must also be connected to the CAN Bus

Ballcock

Reaction score
b
CAN Bus does not work in an analog way by changing resistances, it is a digital transmission bus and among many other informations the position of the buttons is transmitted.

Obviously for your Android to have that information it must also be connected to the CAN Bus
OK cool, thanks for tte info.

I will have the can bus connected so hopefully, as other members have said, it’s plug and play.

I’ll keep you all posted because I’ll be fitting it in a week or so. After my first drive of the car.

Ballcock

Reaction score
B
b

OK cool, thanks for tte info.

I will have the can bus connected so hopefully, as other members have said, it’s plug and play.

I’ll keep you all posted because I’ll be fitting it in a week or so. After my first drive of the car.
But I assume I still have to go through the learning process on the android unit?

Ballcock

Reaction score
I figured it would be the same as Steering Wheel learning, just tte buttons are on a stalk and not a steering wheel.