What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Alarm activation on unlock

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

My car behaved totally weird this morning so I am hoping someone can explain this.

When I tried to unlock the vehicle using the remote the alarm activated. I tried again and again but alarm was sounding and doors stayed locked. I opened the drivers door using the key but still alarm sounding and all displays inside dead. I tried to start it but no sign of life except for the alarm sounding. I then thought of disconnecting the battery so I opened the passenger door and the moment I unlatched the bonnet the alarm stopped and all the displayed lit up. It started perfectly and no issues all the way to work. The only thing out of the ordinary was the date and time which went back to default and had to be set again.

Anyone with an explanation for this behaviour?

2retro

Reaction score
Satanic Possession. You require an exorcist! :twisted:

A

Anonymous

^This.

Or a faulty switch under the bonnet. Or possibly water had got into the boot switch which is a known cause of weird electrical gremlins. Member Jactac I think had many issues with this, if you search the forum you'll find a number of posts which might be relevant.

A

Anonymous

Firstly I checked and can not find a switch on the bonnet. Also there is no indication on the display that the bonnet is open so I assume such a switch do not exist.

Is the boot switch the one mounted in the boot latch?

Anyway just for feedback, this did not happen again the whole of yesterday and this morning. Yesterday evening I triggered the alarm deliberately and I could not repeat the behaviour of the morning. Also I live in South Africa so we don't get all the weather related issues in our vehicles. It is sunshine all the way.

A

Anonymous

I suspect exactly that. I will replace it just to make sure. It is the original and 4 years old now so it is most likely on its way out.

Any think specific I should be looking out for when replacing the battery? Perhaps a specific make, model or type?

A

Anonymous

Sunshine? I'm aware of the concept, is that the bright thing we hide behind our "comfort blanket" of clouds in the uk? :D

Hope it's as simple as the battery for you. If not, still consider the boot switch, rain or not if you've ever used a pressure washer it may have still be a possible cause. Also, I'd be quite surprised if there wasn't a bonnet switch linked to the alarm. Easy to test I guess...just leave the bonnet open and try and set the alarm, in theory it would go off if there is a switch.

A

Anonymous

For interest sake I will go test for a bonnet switch linked to the alarm.
Just to confirm, is the boot switch the one mounted inside the boot latch or is there another one hidden somewhere?

frankvdb

Reaction score
TBH I don't know. I also still have the original battery (so over 5 years old) but because I never drive short distances and don't use the car daily, I've never had to replace my battery in any car so have never have the need to look out for a new one.

A

Anonymous

I believe the switch some people have had issues with is the one under the lip of the boot with the rubberised cover. Have a look for Jactac's old postings on the forum, as I recall he had his replaced by his dealer 2 or 3 times and kept the forum up to date with their findings.