What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

4 Show Waxes Tested

RCZ1

Reaction score
I was sent a test pot of Obsession Wax's new show wax to try out. I therefore decided to do a small show wax test, all of which I was using for the first time.

The four waxes on test are:-

* Wolfgang Fuzion
* Definitive Wax S h o w Edition
* Black Magic Detail (BMD) Sirius Dark Edition (pass around pot)
* Obsession Wax Show Wax (name unknown)

2 coats of Obsession show wax applied to half my bonnet (passenger side) and also a coat to the passenger side rear arch panel.

2 coats of D€finitive S h o w wax applied to the left hand side (drivers) bonnet and all around the full front bumper.

2 coats of Wolfgang applied to right side (drivers) boot lid.

2 coat of Sirius DE applied to left (passenger) boot lid and 1 coat right (driver) rear arch panel.

Prior to applying the wax the car was washed as normal using CG Mr Pink and clayed using my CG wash mitt. This was then followed by a pre wax cleanse using AF Rejuvenate. The car was fully decontaminated only 3 weeks ago. The paint was now ready for wax application.

Ease of Application
Obsession

The wax was said to be soft and oily but it was more of a hard wax, in truth. The wax did not seem to spread too well so I spritzed my applicator a little which helped but it did not spread as well as other show waxes I've used. I reloaded my applicator with a little more wax but ensured that only a thin layer was applied. One thing that did strike me was the scent. A lovely smell of coconut and vanilla filled the air when applying. Nice !

D€finitive Wax

My custom pot of S h o w Edition, used for the first time, with a scent of pineapple. This is not my first D€finitive wax. The applicator was given a quarter swipe to load with wax. Application was easy and the wax spread quite far. It was easy to ensure a thin layer was applied. It spread easier and further than the Obsession Wax.

BMD Sirius Dark Edition

This pot contains 5 layers of BMD waxes and is being passed around interested parties following a thread on DW. The scent of all the waxes contained in the jar was quite overwhelming but on application the bubblegum scent did come to the fore. I own a pot of the normal Sirius Show wax but this was the first time of trying DE. The wax spread fairly well. Not as far as the Def. wax but well enough. Once the applicator was primed it spread easier. The thing to note with Sirius (both versions) is that it feels a bit gritty when applying but this is perfectly normal, so don't worry.

Wolfgang

I recently bought this off a DW member and was the first time of using. The scent was reminiscent of strawberries, which was very nice. One swipe of the applicator pad and the wax just kept on spreading and spreading. The easiest one of the group by far. This wax will last ages as you hardly use any.

Curing Time
BMD and Obsession - the instructions said to leave 5-10 minutes before removing. I left it 10 minutes.

Def. wax is quite versatile and anything from straight on and off to leaving for 10 minutes or more has been used by others. I left it 10 minutes.

Wolfgang Fuzion is more or less straight on and off. Again I left it 10 minutes.

The outside temperature was 7C when applied.

Ease of Removal
Obsession - bonnet - It felt a bit grabby when buffing off but removed quite easily. On the rear arch panel I left it 20 minutes. It needed a bit more elbow power but came off relatively easy. I've experienced far far worse. It still felt grabby as you would imagine, after this length of time.

BMD - Felt a bit grabby at first when buffing off but got better and came off easy.

Def. Wax - this removed with ease. No issues.

Wolfgang Fuzion - I could have removed this with my little finger only. It's insanely easy to buff off. No pressure or elbow grease required.

Finish
Difficult to differentiate between any of the finishes to be honest other than they all looked good. Lovely deep wet looks.

Feel was a bit different though. Wolfgang felt the slickest whereas BMD and Obsession did not feel as slick but from experience with Sirius, it sheets water well.

Beading
I will update the thread with beading, sheeting and durability on a regular basis.

Overall all the waxes were nice to use and left a nice finish but so far I have been surprised by Wolfgang Fuzion.

Apologies for the small photos, I've no idea why. I've not done anything different to what I normally do :(

A

Anonymous

Nice test RCZ1! :thumbup: It'll be interesting to see how they degrade. Are you planning on running them until they break down or do you have a special winter wax up your detailing sleeve?

RCZ1

Reaction score
I will be running them until they are sufficiently degraded. Being show waxes I envisage that it's not going to be too long. In some respects its not the best time of year to be doing a test on show waxes but then again it may show how good some of them really are as there won't be a stiffer test :)

RCZ1

Reaction score
1 week update videos on sheeting behaviour

Bonnet unwashed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Tg9N2OBEM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Boot unwashed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr4GBCZ8S5M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bonnet after being washed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRX4-EYUFUI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Boot after being washed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzMsQzt3juk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Beading is quite uniform apart from the Obsession Wax which was a bit irregular.

2 waxes sheet very very well. 1 very poorly.

Will update in due course.

A

Anonymous

Have you tried BMD's Helios RCZ1? I see that 200mls of it os down from £89 to £50 on their website just now!

RCZ1

Reaction score
Yes I have. I've got it in one of their lovely wooden pots. It's a very nice wax actually. It's a favourite of mine. £50 is a bargain. Durability is 4-6 months so is a good winter wax.

RCZ1

Reaction score
A quick update on this.

Washed the car for the first time since the 1st December. Around 800 miles covered since then. Just over a month since they were applied (23/11/13).

The Obsession Wax has well and truly died (as it was after the first wash). No sheeting whatsoever.

The BMD Sirius DE, Wolfgang Fuzion and
Definitive wax S H O W Edition are still protecting well.

Sheeting of Wolfgang and Definitive are about the same for the leaders with Sirius just a fraction behind. Nothing much in it really.

No chance to capture any beading yet but it seems pretty good during washing today.

I'll hopefully update with photos and/or video next week :)

Note: Obsession Wax are going to send me a sample of their final production show wax, now named Euphoric. I will test the final blend against the other three when I receive it, to give it fair chance. Obviously this mix needed a bit of a tweak and wasn't the finished article.

Dean 922

Reaction score
I was sent a test pot of Obsession Wax's new show wax to try out. I therefore decided to do a small show wax test, all of which I was using for the first time.

The four waxes on test are:-

* Wolfgang Fuzion
* Definitive Wax S h o w Edition
* Black Magic Detail (BMD) Sirius Dark Edition (pass around pot)
* Obsession Wax Show Wax (name unknown)

2 coats of Obsession show wax applied to half my bonnet (passenger side) and also a coat to the passenger side rear arch panel.

2 coats of D€finitive S h o w wax applied to the left hand side (drivers) bonnet and all around the full front bumper.

2 coats of Wolfgang applied to right side (drivers) boot lid.

2 coat of Sirius DE applied to left (passenger) boot lid and 1 coat right (driver) rear arch panel.

Prior to applying the wax the car was washed as normal using CG Mr Pink and clayed using my CG wash mitt. This was then followed by a pre wax cleanse using AF Rejuvenate. The car was fully decontaminated only 3 weeks ago. The paint was now ready for wax application.

Ease of Application
Obsession

The wax was said to be soft and oily but it was more of a hard wax, in truth. The wax did not seem to spread too well so I spritzed my applicator a little which helped but it did not spread as well as other show waxes I've used. I reloaded my applicator with a little more wax but ensured that only a thin layer was applied. One thing that did strike me was the scent. A lovely smell of coconut and vanilla filled the air when applying. Nice !

D€finitive Wax

My custom pot of S h o w Edition, used for the first time, with a scent of pineapple. This is not my first D€finitive wax. The applicator was given a quarter swipe to load with wax. Application was easy and the wax spread quite far. It was easy to ensure a thin layer was applied. It spread easier and further than the Obsession Wax.

BMD Sirius Dark Edition

This pot contains 5 layers of BMD waxes and is being passed around interested parties following a thread on DW. The scent of all the waxes contained in the jar was quite overwhelming but on application the bubblegum scent did come to the fore. I own a pot of the normal Sirius Show wax but this was the first time of trying DE. The wax spread fairly well. Not as far as the Def. wax but well enough. Once the applicator was primed it spread easier. The thing to note with Sirius (both versions) is that it feels a bit gritty when applying but this is perfectly normal, so don't worry.

Wolfgang

I recently bought this off a DW member and was the first time of using. The scent was reminiscent of strawberries, which was very nice. One swipe of the applicator pad and the wax just kept on spreading and spreading. The easiest one of the group by far. This wax will last ages as you hardly use any.

Curing Time
BMD and Obsession - the instructions said to leave 5-10 minutes before removing. I left it 10 minutes.

Def. wax is quite versatile and anything from straight on and off to leaving for 10 minutes or more has been used by others. I left it 10 minutes.

Wolfgang Fuzion is more or less straight on and off. Again I left it 10 minutes.

The outside temperature was 7C when applied.

Ease of Removal
Obsession - bonnet - It felt a bit grabby when buffing off but removed quite easily. On the rear arch panel I left it 20 minutes. It needed a bit more elbow power but came off relatively easy. I've experienced far far worse. It still felt grabby as you would imagine, after this length of time.

BMD - Felt a bit grabby at first when buffing off but got better and came off easy.

Def. Wax - this removed with ease. No issues.

Wolfgang Fuzion - I could have removed this with my little finger only. It's insanely easy to buff off. No pressure or elbow grease required.

Finish
Difficult to differentiate between any of the finishes to be honest other than they all looked good. Lovely deep wet looks.

Feel was a bit different though. Wolfgang felt the slickest whereas BMD and Obsession did not feel as slick but from experience with Sirius, it sheets water well.

Beading
I will update the thread with beading, sheeting and durability on a regular basis.

Overall all the waxes were nice to use and left a nice finish but so far I have been surprised by Wolfgang Fuzion.

Apologies for the small photos, I've no idea why. I've not done anything different to what I normally do :(
Hi RCZ1
I got the same colour very nice.
New to the group had mine week 2013 1.6

Pedro

Reaction score
I have never polished my cars only ever washed them with Turtle wax once dried off they always look nice & shiny a neighbour once asked what do I polish the car with to which I replied soap & water he thought I was taking the p :rolleyes::LOL: