What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

235/50 R18 ???

A

Anonymous

does anyone know if I can put 235/50 instead of 235/45 on 18" wheels? :helpme:

A

Anonymous

they probably will be ok, but your speedo will be out. The should make the ride a touch softer too.

I'm putting 35s instead of 40 winter tyres on shortly and they knock the speedo out by about 3mph

Try this website....

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

... you'll also need to tell your insurers :thumbdown: as it's a mod

A

Anonymous

I was think of doing the same thing but on my 19 inch wheels, purely for lower noise and better comfort, most of the tyre companies i spoke to said the difference would be quite noticable and that the speedo would not be affected by too much.

Donna does have a point about the insurance company, as you will of changed from the manufactured spec. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

lovely. will try that option and "downgrade".
extra comfort sounds good - as in addition to winter we have terrible roads. :thumbdown:
and local insurers are less strict than you guys have - they don't care at all. :eusa-shhh:

A

Anonymous

orange said:
lovely. will try that option and "downgrade".
extra comfort sounds good - as in addition to winter we have terrible roads. :thumbdown:
and local insurers are less strict than you guys have - they don't care at all. :eusa-shhh:

Be warned, "they dont care" until you make a claim and then the insurance assessor writes up a report on any damages and makes a note that you do not have the correct spec tyres.

Believe me any "grey area" whilst making a claim and they could turn down that claim or worse still cancel your insurance, so you could even be uninsured at the time of an accident or claim for not disclosing a modification.

By the way it's not the "local" insurance people that kick up a fuss, it's the big underwriters who have to cough out the money in the event of a claim that will use any excuse not to validate a claim, and keeping any info from them is just what they like to see to stop a claim from being paid out, so be careful ok. ;)

Imagine a total loss claim that involved your car and another 3rd party's car, lots of ££££££££££££££££'s to pay out, therefor no stone would be left unturned to try and reduce or even cancel insurance payout costs.

So It's always worth letting them know, just to be on the safe side, it wont cost anything, but at least your policy will be up to date. :thumbup:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Are you sure that the insurers won't charge you more for changing the alloys? My insurance company tried to charge me extra for my leather re-trim. After some " discussions" I was charged £4 extra on my policy, which was way better than the original price quoted.

A

Anonymous

Guys - just a bit of clarification, I live in one of ex-USSR countries :twisted: , where car insurance market is far from being mature and sophisticated. The only clause regarding tyres says that "during winter - winter tyres, during summer - summer tyres" :wave: and that's it (checked the contract). Having said that and knowing avg UK insurance costs - I have to admit that we pay more for insurance, which, i guess, allows some degree of flexibility in these questions.

But your point is taken and I thank you for that. It's always good to know possible pitfalls and address them in advance. :beer:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Are you sure that the insurers won't charge you more for changing the alloys? My insurance company tried to charge me extra for my leather re-trim. After some " discussions" I was charged £4 extra on my policy, which was way better than the original price quoted.

K,
I think changing the actual alloys would incure extra charges, but i'm not sure letting the insurance know you've swapped to winter or summer tyres would be more expensive , then again Aviva have some ridicolous "admin" charges to ammend policies.

I would still rather let my insurance company know though, especially if the change or mod could affect a claim. :thumbup:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Oh yes absolutely. If you ever had to make a claim and the assessors saw something which wasn't original and they hadn't been informed, then your policy is instantly null and void.