What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

2011 RCZ 1.6 156THP Temperature Sensor Location

thornebt

Reaction score
I've read a few posts on this forum about temp gauges that hit the top and trigger EML warnings. My gauge is reading very low most of the time and not moving at all sometimes. It's an intermittent fault but it never seems to climb to the halfway point (90C) like it used to. I think I've found a replacement sender unit (Intermotor 55547 or Peugeot 1338.F3 etc) for about £20 but can't find it's location. I've attached a photo of the front of the engine just in case it helps. I've read that some RCZ models have the sender unit integral to the thermostat housing. Can anyone help please?

Attachments

thornebt

Reaction score
I thought I would add a photo of the coolant temperature sensor in case it helps. Unlike the majority that screw in to the thermostat housing this one is a push in fit with an o ring and a clip to secure it. Perhaps someone has seen a similar sensor before and might have an idea of what it's likely to fit into. Hope someone can tell me where it is as I've spent ages looking round the cooling system without any luck!

Attachments

• $_14.jpg
    $_14.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 6,851

thornebt

Reaction score
This photo shows the clip as well!

Attachments

• $_14.jpg
    $_14.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 6,848

thornebt

Reaction score
I finally found the temperature sensor! If anyone else wants to know where it is then please check the attached photo. You just need to remove the two 'hoses' I've marked with masking tape (the whole length of the bottom one, not just the flexi part). The sensor is then plain to see and easy to replace. Just pull the retaining clip out, swap the sensor over and slide the clip back making sure the sensor is fully pushed in.

It was a cheap replacement. The sensor was just £6.99 with freepost from Ebay!

Attachments

A

Anonymous

Thanks man, I've been desperately looking for this info. Too simple a fix to let dealer rip me off for the pleasure. I have the THP200, so I'm hoping that it's going to be in the same location. Will have a look and report back results.

Is the part you bought a genuine part or a copy?

thornebt

Reaction score
Hi. I bought a sensor from Ebay. £6.99 with freepost.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331015004557? ... EBIDX%3AIT

If I had taken the car to Peugeot they would probably have insisted on doing an hour's diagnostic check for £98 before they even replaced the sensor.

The sensor is dead easy to replace. I even dropped the retaining clip a couple of times and it fell out onto the ground instead of getting lost in the engine bay. Make sure the sensor is fully pushed in before sliding the clip back. You should, of course, replace the thick rubber o ring but I didn't and it doesn't leak.

Unfortunately I have ruled the sensor out as being the fault as my car still runs cold and takes forever to warm up. The thermostat cannot be replaced separately as it's part of the coolant outlet housing. Got a price from Peugeot today of £346 to replace the coolant outlet. This includes an hour diagnostic check.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, looks good. Will check the part currently fitted first but then I think I'll order one of those.

The hour's diagnostic is such a joke. I've used the little OBD2 devices and you plug in, press download and read what's wrong. That's all they do.

I'll try and have a look tonight and see if mine matches up.

thornebt

Reaction score
I've got a fault code reader but I don't think that any reader would be able to diagnose a stuck thermostat. Perhaps the Peugeot diagnostic system might analyse that the engine is taking a long time to warm up but I think that's all they can do. I intend to replace the coolant outlet housing myself. I've got some Peugeot software that shows the job step by step with loads of photos and it looks quite straightforward. Peugeot charge 1.8 hours labour for the job so it's not a long job.

The part is about £58. I think that includes VAT as well.

A

Anonymous

Latter 156 models may have the sensor inside a aluminum housing and is part of the housing. I know Citroen and BMW mini both changed the outer sensor for an internal one approx 2012 and still fails :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

So I managed to get out at lunch and try locating the sensor on the THP200 engine, with some luck, however it looks worryingly buried!

So the what I think is the sensor, is under here:

Here are two shots I got of it:
(Sensor front and centre)

(Sensor behind the blurry blue connector)

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is that the sensor?

Attachments

• 03026004-photo-peugeot-rcz-1-6-thp-200-ch.jpg
    03026004-photo-peugeot-rcz-1-6-thp-200-ch.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 6,801
  • VIDEO0059_0000034236_1.jpg
    VIDEO0059_0000034236_1.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 6,804
  • VIDEO0059_0000034236.jpg
    VIDEO0059_0000034236.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 6,800

thornebt

Reaction score
PM sent. It's the first PM I've sent so hope I've done it right. I couldn't type anything in the large box so typed it below your text.

Shane1960

Reaction score
So I managed to get out at lunch and try locating the sensor on the THP200 engine, with some luck, however it looks worryingly buried!

So the what I think is the sensor, is under here:

Here are two shots I got of it:
(Sensor front and centre)

(Sensor behind the blurry blue connector)

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is that the sensor?
Mine looks like this on 115 kw 2012 auto but Avery search I have done says the threaded one is not for my car. Here is a pic of the new one they say fits a k the old one still in the car . Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_9927.jpeg
    IMG_9927.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 5