What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coolant level warning light

Pinkefo

Reaction score
Hello

I'm new here and looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2012 RCZ and know nothing about mechanics. The coolant level warning light kept coming on when I started the car and intermittently after that. The levels were fine and the garage replaced the sensor (£185) the light is still doing it intermittently and garage advised maybe ECU fault but didn't want to do it in case it didn't work, suggested I call a dealer, nearest one over 100 miles away said they would have to look first, another suggested it may be a broken wire somewhere or an earth problem and I might need an auto electrician.
I see on this seems to be a common fault but I'm not sure how to proceed from here, any advice gratefully accepted.
Thanks

Last edited:

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
It's very common and it's down to the sensor to the bottle easy way to check it out is unplug the sensor and see if the light goes out

Pinkefo

Reaction score
It's very common and it's down to the sensor to the bottle easy way to check it out is unplug the sensor and see if the light goes out
Thank you - but I made an error in my post - the garage renewed the sensor not the filter!

Mikefrank

Reaction score
I had same problem with mine I was told to only go for genuine Peugeot sensor….and I still get the warning message…
Ive had my Rcz a few years now as much as I love the car…I’ve never seen no other cars with as many warning messages….😫

Pinkefo

Reaction score
I had same problem with mine I was told to only go for genuine Peugeot sensor….and I still get the warning message…
Ive had my Rcz a few years now as much as I love the car…I’ve never seen no other cars with as many warning messages….😫
So you just drive around ignoring it? It is worrying but as it first comes on when I start the car and there is coolant I'm tempted .... ;)

Mikefrank

Reaction score
So you just drive around ignoring it? It is worrying but as it first comes on when I start the car and there is coolant I'm tempted .... ;)
I unplugged it...not a wise thing to do but message was just pain in the as....
Always check oil and water on these weekly though...

Pinkefo

Reaction score
Following on from all the info from you I have uploaded photos of what's coming up - also noticed my dipstick has broken so don't know if the could affect it (clutching at straws :))5EC49042-98C6-432A-AA83-34F32DB3FAF3.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B5D7952-95A4-4B2C-81BF-D9622096CB8B.jpeg
    9B5D7952-95A4-4B2C-81BF-D9622096CB8B.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 9
  • A6CB9278-292A-43BC-B755-2FE476EF8957.jpeg
    A6CB9278-292A-43BC-B755-2FE476EF8957.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 9

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Aww hell totally different from what I was posting mine was low water level...but water temperature was fine...Above photos look like over heating

Pinkefo

Reaction score
Aww hell totally different from what I was posting mine was low water level...but water temperature was fine...Above photos look like over heating
Thanks, I'm at loss now - it comes on when I just start the car so I don't think it's overheating - can I repost those pictures somehow not sure as a newbie

Pedro

Reaction score
Thermostat is one of the main culprits affects the gauge etc

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
The cooling fan motor resistor can cause the temperature warnings too, common failure and cheap to replace