What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Who copied who?

A

Anonymous

When the RCZ was launched many people compared its looks to the Audi TT. As the RCZ was marketed as a coupe comparisons were bound to be made. I think Audi TT drivers were quite rightly peeved because now there was a new kid on the block with great reviews and a fantastic look. But history tells us that over the years car manufactures have taken what works and used them in their own designs. All coupes can be considered 'alike' same at 4x4's etc - styles change and evolve and the RCZ is just an evolution of a common theme. Take the following pictures for example:

So, who copied who?

Attachments

• att.jpeg
    att.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 929
  • porcay.jpeg
    porcay.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 929
  • r8.jpeg
    r8.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 929
  • rcz.jpeg
    rcz.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 929
  • vwb.jpeg
    vwb.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 929
A

Anonymous

Very true because even my humble (in comparison to RCZ and Audi) Hyundai coupe looks not unlike that last picture and the new Hyundai Genesis coupe that's already in the US looks almost similar to the existing coupe at first glance. I guess when it comes to coupes there's not a lot of play in defining the shape but at least the RCZ has those lovely lines :)

A

Anonymous

Gotta say, from those pictures the TT is the worst looking. The sharper windscreen rake works with the rear air inlets on the Porsche and R8 but lacks symmetry on the TT. Or maybe the pronounced rear wheel arches are key to this car shape.

A

Anonymous

Maybe I didnt get the most flatering picture for a TT, but I agree pronounced rear wheel arches do give a sportier look.

Haha - I like the idea that TT's and Hyundais look the same :)

BTW, I only included the BUG for asthetic comparisons - I dont think you could really call it a coupe :)

A

Anonymous

In order of preference I'd rank them as R8, RCZ, TT, Beetle, Porsche and I'd certainly rank the MK1 TT above the MK2. To me the Porsche always represented a design constrained, possibly because it had to fit inbetween the Boxster and the 911. Also purely on exterior design I'd put the latest Hyundai Coupe on par with the TT and unfortunately the Scirocco below the Porsche. Although the 370Z would be up there with the RCZ.

Thinking about it :eusa-think: there are actually quite a few coupes out there. However the deciding factor for me was the number of compromises I would have to make and the RCZ offered the looks both inside and out, a high level of tech/gadgets (that will ultimately fail in a horribly expensive way), fuel economy, handling and running costs. Still can't find another car out there that can offer that package.