What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Whistling Sound When Accelerating and Very Reduced Torque

Gib007

Reaction score
Hi all, lately I've been getting a whistling noise from my RCZ when I accelerate (in gear, not in neutral). I took my car for an unrelated air conditioning system repair and today got the car back. The whistling is worse now and I have very noticeably reduced torque when accelerating. What could be the cause of this issue?

I have an RCZ THP200 from 2013 (face-lifted model). I checked the car for error codes but there are none. It kind of feels like the turbo isn't working quite right as the acceleration is very sluggish. Thank you.

Pedro

Reaction score
The Only thing I know that causes the loud whistle sound is the Turbo spooling mine did it once & after an oil change it disappeared completely I though the wastegate was stuck causing Turbo Lag
Check all the hoses it may be just a simple Vacuum leak?

Marmite

Reaction score
Have you checked the tips on the compressor wheel if they have the ends missing this will cause it to whistle an loose power an you will need to have the turbo reconditioned

Gib007

Reaction score
I had the issue repaired. Basically the pipe leading into the turbo had some damage to it, causing air to leak when accelerating. I have a RaceChip GTS and a PedalBox in the car so it's plausible these placed extra boost pressure on the components, which didn't take it too well. This damaged pipe was the cause of the whistling/whooshing sound when accelerating. However, when testing this, I accelerated as hard as I could and often enough such that apparently a small chunk of this pipe came loose and went into the actual turbo, damaging it internally. A mechanic replaced both the turbo itself and the pipe and all was good. The parts cost €980 and he charged €300 for labour for a total of €1,280. Not all too bad considering I basically damaged it more by testing.