What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

What are you protecting your car with over the winter months

A

Anonymous

Ok...so I type this at little after 7pm and it's pitch black outside in Costa Del Deen. Just another reminder that winter is just around the corner.

I have my Conti WinterContacts sitting ready to go on at the end of the month and we all know that winter is an utterly brutal time of the year for you car's paintwork with all that salt and grit on the roads. So...what are you protecting your car's paintwork with against these enemies of cleanliness. My own thinking is that when winter comes my detailing goes out the window in favour of central heating and the sofa. What I want is something that will offer good protection with minimal maintenance. So...I'm think of binning the waxes (been using Bouncer's Satsuma Rock since around March/April) and sticking on Gtechniq's C2v3. I'm attracted by the ease of application, the price, the longevity of it and it's ability to be used diluted as a quick detailer to top it up. So any thoughts from anyone on this or any other better alternatives in terms of either waxes or sealants?

A

Anonymous

Re: What are you protecting your car with over the winter mo

More than happy with the same C1 that saw me throu last winter but topped of with a couple of layers of Exo. Now I've noticed a few swirls when I was applying but ain't point trying to correct em coming into the winter. So invested in a DA that'll get a bit of practice with ready to have a go come spring. Need to do something with my rims thou was gonna get the old collinite 845 next weekend that'll see me till next year. Hopefully ;)

A

Anonymous

I go (as always) with my trusted Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax for both car and alloys.

Next year I'll most probably try Gtechniq C5 (already here) for the alloys and this Gtechniq EXOv2 (they are raving about it over here) for the car.

RCZ1

Reaction score

I'm still really undecided about what I'm going to put on the car for winter. I've got waxes which will see me through winter but on the flip side sealants do keep your car that bit cleaner in those nasty winter months. I've been sent a new coating to try out but I was going to use that on the OH's car. I really don't mind getting out there and doing the car in the winter as its fresh air after all, after being couped up indoors most of the time at that time of year.

I may do a mixture of both. Sealant on first then top with a durable wax.

A

Anonymous

Hmmmm... :eusa-think: I'm not sure what to do. So Mac you recommend C1 and exo? Is it easy enough to apply?

I'm not familiar with Finish Kare TomC. Clearly you are happy with it? Your eye has also been caught by EXO though? I'm just not sure quite how easy this and C1 is to apply. Maybe Mac can clarify that?

RCZ1, which waxes would you recommend for over winter? Preferably ones that aren't exorbitantly priced! Which sealant would you apply a wax over? :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

I'm not really knowledgeable (damn that's a big word for me, but knowing jack $*** doesn't sound polite) about all this. But I've been using Autoglym extra gloss protection to seal the car. Really really really easy to apply and buff off! Has good reviews too. Plus I put some of the sample wax from waxybox on top and the blue looks grand!

RCZ1

Reaction score

The majority of sealants will let you apply a wax over it, as long as the sealants cured. C2v3 is one such sealant. It will go over anything and it will have anything put over IT ! I am a big fan of C2v3. It's so versatile and at £6, it's a bargain considering all it's uses.
Werkstat Jett Trigger is another along with Car Chem Hard Shell or their Nano Sealant (that lasts up to 2 years).

Waxes eh, Collinite 476 will last forever but I personally am not keen. It's a pig to buff off. One of my new Back Magic Detail waxes, Helios, which is sample size, will last 4 months. They are so easy to use. Apply, leave for 10 minutes,then buff off with ease. £25 they are although there is a group buy on DW at the moment to get free P&P but you have to buy a minimum of 2 to get the waxes cheaper. I highly recommend them though.

I thought Satsuma Rock had good durability? Something like 4-6 months isn't it?

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
...C2v3 is one such sealant. It will go over anything and it will have anything put over IT !...
Hi Kerry, am I reading this right, C2v3 can go over a wax? I'm thinking specifically of the Turtlewax coloured waxes, my 13yr old black Honda 4x4 needs the coloured wax but it has no lasting power, C2v3 could lock the colored wax in?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

RCZ1

Reaction score

Yes that's right Steve :thumbup:

Just make sure that you leave it a couple of hours or so before you apply C2v3.

A

Anonymous

Rizzo C1 is really easy to do and with ur car being blue it'll be even more straight forward. I found it a doddle to do me da's black focus with dark colours it's much easier to see wot u've already done as apposed to white. Really is just apply with the make up pads do a panel at a time then go over with 2 clean microfibres. That's it. Depends what condition ur paints in when I did mine a quick hand polish 1st was ample.

That's C1 without Exo see me hiding in pic 3 ;-)

RCZ1

Reaction score

EXO is another great Gtechniq product and as Mac says will be easier to see where you have applied on your flipper. Just remember less is more. It's spreads far!

Of course Mr Rizz you have a very good sealant in your Waxybox - the Gyeon quartz sealant. Offers about 4 months durability.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Yes that's right Steve :thumbup:

Just make sure that you leave it a couple of hours or so before you apply C2v3.
Fantastic, thanks Kerry!

RCZ1

Reaction score

The other thing with C2v3 is that it's much easier to use if you dilute it (preferably with deionised water) 1:5 - 1 part C2v3 to 5 parts water. You can use it as QD too like this each wash or once a month, whatever you prefer.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
The other thing with C2v3 is that it's much easier to use if you dilute it (preferably with deionised water) 1:5 - 1 part C2v3 to 5 parts water. You can use it as QD too like this each wash or once a month, whatever you prefer.
Brill, thanks Kerry...off to Clean Your Car I go :)

A

Anonymous

So that gyeon quartz stuff is decent then? Yup, the SR seems to be good for around 4-6 months in summer conditions but not sure it'll hold up quite so well in the wintery conditions of Alaskadeen. Collinite 476 does offer a considerable amount of protection and certainly lasts a long time but, you're right, it's a pig to apply and work in.

Mac, thanks for your advice and for the pictures!!! Looks incredible!!! Colour me intrigued by the C1...especially if it's as easy to apply as you say. You need to leave it quite a time to bond do you not or have I misread that? My concern is that the RCZ doesn't fit up the driveway at the side of my house and into my garage!!! :-(

A

Anonymous

Once it's applied just keep it dry for 3 hours not so easy at this time of year. It should be cured inside an hour. If u put Gtechniq C1 into YouTube there's a couple of videos from gtechniq showing u how easy it is. Some guy doing a grey Porsche. I've no garage either and did it outside with no bother.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mac!! :thumbup: I'll check out those vids!

RCZ1

Reaction score

I don't wish to intrude Mac and Mr Rizz but C1 should not get wet for a minimum of 12 hours as it takes at least this long to cure. Up to 72 hours to fully cure.

It is recommended to apply EXO 3 hours after applying C1. Any longer and you could have problems removing the residue of EXO.

A

Anonymous

I said don't get it wet for 3 hours cause it rained on mine 3 hours after I'd finished and did no harm. So just going of that. As for Exo took me a year to get round to using it.

A

Anonymous

Yeah that's what I'd read about it RCZ1 (not intruding at all btw) and was one of the reasons why I hadn't considered it. However, interested by Mac's experiences.