What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Warranty

A

Anonymous

HELP
I'm messaging an behalf of a pal and I'll be as succinct as I can. It's an issue regarding Peugeot warranty.

He has a Boxer 333LWB van which is 2 years old on 4 year finance. He took it in this week as it was misfiring and was told that the van basically needs a new engine (on a 2 year old van ?) anyway, according to his warranty contract it should be serviced every 25,000 miles. Because he has done more miles than stipulated it should really be serviced every 20,000 miles.

The garage have said that because he has taken in the van at 30,000 miles (10,000 miles over the stipulated 20,000) Peugeot won't cover the cost under his warranty agreement as he has broken the terms of the warranty agreement.

So far only the garage have confirmed the above and he won't know until Monday what Peugeot's position on this matter is, whether they will be prepared to pick up the cost or not.

The question is : has anybody had a similar experience ? Given that the garage is saying that the engine needs to be replaced after only 2 years, would this make a difference to their (Peugeot's) desicion. Is there anything more he can do ?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

So what you are saying is he should have had a service a 20k and did 30k with no service and even then its only gone into the dealership because its developed a problem...do you think the fact the oil was knackered and the filter was probably clogged up as they havnt been changed may have caused excess wear leading to the engine damage??? This is probably what the dealer reckons which is why hes being told its not covered!

I fear your mate may have a big bill heading his way.

A

Anonymous

agreed, in fact im having a oil and filter change at 10,000 miles to give the engine a treat. not keen on 20,000 services.

A

Anonymous

We've just had our 1,000 mile check & the dealership said that the next service is a "voluntary" service at 10,000 miles.

Having had experience of Mercedes & their rigid & unbending stance on this warranty issue, we will have our RCZ in for every single service/check that is recommended.

We went on holiday & could'nt get our merc in for a service until it was 12 miles 'over' the computer service recommendation, & Mercedes would'nt do the service under the warranty as they said we had breached the terms of the Warranty-they never backed down either. :evil: Manufacturers will use the slightest little thing to get out of honouring these warranty-that's what concerns me a little about people too anxious to 'modify' their cars. You pay a lot of money for a new vehicle & so why not do everything possible to keep it tip-top & ensure many miles of trouble-free motoring! It's just not worth the risk!!!

RCZ1

Reaction score
My dealer has never mentioned a voluntary service at 10,000 miles to me. They said it was 20,000 miles or 2 years, whichever was sooner.

A

Anonymous

30k with no service is a heck of a lot.

On the TFR I was sticking to at least an oil change every 6,000Miles.

A

Anonymous

I assume that its a diesel?

Your mate should try maybe getting it serviced?

Filters (Oil, Air, Fuel)
Oil (change with a high quality one)
Heafty dose of Redex into some premium Diesel.

Dervs are strong things...

A

Anonymous

When Freddie was in for his 1000 mile check they told me the next service was at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever came sooner. I said I'd thought it was 2 years but they said that was just for oil.

A

Anonymous

Wow and I thought 20000 miles was a long interval!
We need to take responsibility for our own actions and step up to the plate when we get it wrong.
It's not Peugeot fault your friend forgot, or decided to save money, by missing the services.
I'm certain he will be in for a large bill.

FGRob

Reaction score
My brother had a interesting situation, not directly with a dealer, but with people and how they look after their cars, which is related to your friends situation.

To cut a long story short he had an accident which was his fault, he agreed to pay for the repair on the other vehicle - the vehcile was repaired to an acceptable standard and that was it, 3 days later he gets a phone call from the owner of the car he hit saying there was a problem with the car which needed sorting out, so my brother contacted the garage to find out what had gone on, it turns out the car started to miss fire after it left the garage, it was OK before it went in so the owner was demanding it be put right, the accident was at the rear of the car - the engine not been touched, the garage checked with the owner with regard to servicing and they admitted it had not been serviced for 2 1/2 years - the garage told them to go away.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Happens all the time at the Crash repair company my Brother in law works at. They usually know it's a con and tell them to go politely.

A

Anonymous

Fellas

Thanks for your interest in this matter and taking the time to post your comments. Just to clarify though, my mate has had the van serviced before the 30,000 miles. This misunderstanding is what happens when you're posting on someone elses behalf...here's a copy of an e.mail he sent to me which hopefully clarfies his situation with regards to the servicing of the vehicle............

E.mail
the vehicle had a check on 5000 miles i asumed the next service would be 30.000 miles , it had its first sevice in june 2010 and i was told i had to bring it in a bit sooner for the next service , because i was doing arduous milage ..which i was going to do...
i have had the vehicle back and forth to the dealer from getting it , with engine management faults which kept re-accuring and had new parts refitted ...and other problems
then 6 months after the first service i noticed the same problem as before but no warning light , so i took it back to the dealer and was told the engine was knackered and they would not warranty the vehicle...because it needs two service stamps. the van has only done 45,000 miles..........

thanks for looking

A

Anonymous

Sadly the long and short of it seems to be the van has had one service in 45k..its been a while since ive driven a Boxer but im pretty sure that you get a "miles to service countdown" displayed on the dash every time you start one up so your mates "i assumed it was 30k before it was due" statement is a bit odd as the van was telling him every time he turned it on.