What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

USB/SD/CD read issue

AwesomeRob

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the NG4 system.

I tried searching for the keyword USB and SD but the parameters are too shorts and looked through the first few pages and couldn't see anything that I'm experiencing.

When inserting an SD Card the unit doesn't display it as a device
When inserting a USB stick it lights up as it is getting power but again doesn't display it
When inserting an MP3 CD when stationary (or I presume cold) it detects it, starts to play, then fails to read and then the system reboots. 1 time the system factory reset itself. Once I start driving and then insert it plays fine.
Radio works, mobile phone bluetooth works, sat nav works but the screen flickers randomly and I know why that is.

Any idea why it isn't detecting external devices and the CD read issue?

NF7

Reaction score
SD CARD and USB STICK have to be formatted as FAT32. Also, it might be possible that only 32GB SDs and USBs are supported. I could not get any of my 64GB USB sticks to work.

Screen flickering is often associated with partially stuck or deteriorated screen cable.

CD MP3 player issues - cannot help you there.

Regarding the FW, have you updated the system to the latest software?

AwesomeRob

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
By chance I found an old 256MB USB stick, formatted it as FAT and that worked straight away.
The SD Card is 16GB and brand of Nokia
The USB is 4GB formatted as FAT32.

I'm now formatting as FAT and see if that works.

It could be possible that the firmware is so old it will not recognise anything above 2GB so doing an update may be interesting.

The firmware is NG4_D_R26b_R26.04

NF7

Reaction score
You should update the firmware.

I have created the guide how to update the firmware, latest maps and latest radars.

You can access it here GUIDE: Updating the firmware, maps and installing risk areas (RADARs) on NG4

Just remember to follow every step to the dot. Otherwise, it might not work or you might corrupt the system. If you don't need to update the maps, just update the firmware. Keep the car running during the update process.

Jumper

Reaction score
The USB plug under the arm rest is to update the system only it won't read music to play. If you want to update the maps/firmware/speed camera alerts you have to buy the the update kit off ebay. Its approx £30 and has two CDs and two USB memory sticks. It takes a while to complete and will only update everything to 2016/17 no more updates after that for the NG4 mine took about an hour to complete I borrowed the update kit off a friend that he used on his 308. If you burn a good qualty CD I have used Verbatin they work fine. I personally use the hard drive to store playlist that I load from the SD port. Its just a case of transfering my music from my PC to SD card and pop it in the slot. Obviously you can do this several times to build up playlists on the cars hard drive. A lot of owners prefer streaming music off the phone but as it come the NG4 wont do that without buying a Bluetooth adpator and plug it into the plugs in the glove box. The Bluetooth adaptor will at some point need charging again and some have fitted a 12v supply into the gloev box for that reason.

NF7

Reaction score
The USB plug under the arm rest is to update the system only it won't read music to play. If you want to update the maps/firmware/speed camera alerts you have to buy the the update kit off ebay. Its approx £30 and has two CDs and two USB memory sticks. It takes a while to complete and will only update everything to 2016/17 no more updates after that for the NG4 mine took about an hour to complete I borrowed the update kit off a friend that he used on his 308. If you burn a good qualty CD I have used Verbatin they work fine. I personally use the hard drive to store playlist that I load from the SD port. Its just a case of transfering my music from my PC to SD card and pop it in the slot. Obviously you can do this several times to build up playlists on the cars hard drive. A lot of owners prefer streaming music off the phone but as it come the NG4 wont do that without buying a Bluetooth adpator and plug it into the plugs in the glove box. The Bluetooth adaptor will at some point need charging again and some have fitted a 12v supply into the gloev box for that reason.
In my guide, that I linked above - I have fully working maps 2021-1 and Radars for April 2021 - they are unofficial but work perfectly. Everything works with an USB so you do not need to buy anything special.

When I have the time, I'll post pictures of my setup with Bluetooth streaming on NG4. Cost me 5$.

Last edited:

Ross_Russev

Reaction score
Here I cannot agree, as my music is stored on a 16GB USB Stick which is in that USB port and it plays just fine - don't know why it is nor working with you ( maybe - just guessing here the reason for you to say so in the first line ). My car is a late 2012 RCZ GT

Reactions: NF7

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
My NG4 used to play music on a stick from the arm rest USB fine, I carried the same stick, a Sandisk Cruzer fit, on to my current car.