What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Upgrading to a RCZ

ksb

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a 308 sport a few years back and previous to that my wife bought a 307sw, both cars have been generally good, the 307 certainly the winner of the two as it serves us faithfully as the family car and my wife's numerous cross country business drives. So suffice to say we're fans of Peugeot, particularly Wokingham Motors.

So the 308 is my car and recently it has been giving a bunch of annoying electrical issues and has caused me to visit the dealers on a few occasions, doing so the RCZs instantly caught my eye, I love the aggressive sporty look of them, however after initially mucking about with the online configurator, I had come to the conclusion that despite the reasonable price tag it was a bit silly to trade a car that serves my needs fine (I actually don't drive a great deal in biking weather ;) )

Then, the 308's air con started playing up, so I put her into the dealers on friday morning on the proviso I got it back saturday fixed or not as I have a bit of a road trip planned with my daughter as a short break away. Saturday (yesterday in fact) came and no call... phoning them up revealed an empty service dept (it was after 12, i didn't realise) and my car and it's keys were securely locked out of reach of the sales force. Somewhat vexed, I stated my displeasure to the sales guy, who was pretty embarrassed anyway, and immediately offered me a courtesy 107.

With that little voice still in the back of my mind whispering 'RCZ', I thought I'd try my luck and promised I'd forget the whole 308 kidnapping if a nice RCZ was lent to me for my road trip. He went off to find the boss and to my surprise but equal delight I was told to head down and could take their demonstrator, no mileage restrictions and bring it back when I'm done. The boss had no doubt spotted a quote they'd done for me on a RCZ a few months back and we talked turkey a bit and he assured me that 'a good deal' could be had in the cause of good will, should I decide I like it.

The loaner is a fully loaded black diesel model with 300 miles on the clock, and pretty much have to say, after having driven it around today... sod the 308 :)

So unless the road trip puts me off the car, I plan to order a nice new one. I don't want to go too mad on options and have been experimenting with colours/wheels/etc, no real idea if the GT or the sport model's are the one for me (I'm not a huge fan of leather seats generally, but I like the stitched dash and the larger wheels), I'm quite a sucker for tech so the satnav appeals to me, but i'd like to hear from you more experienced owners on options you like, what is essential, what is potentially pointless, etc.

That's it really, sorry for the long story ;)

(Incidentally take none of the above as negative about Wokingham motors, they have provided excellent service over the years and the ongoing electrical issues are not due to their ability or any lack of to fix them)

A

Anonymous

Well...in some ways you've really rather lucked out then...well apart from the fact that you have now officially been bitten by the RCZ bug and are shortly going to place an order for one!! There's no way you're going to avoid it's charm and your gut instinct of "sod the 308" will slowly crawl it's way north to your heart and head!! :lol:

For me, a GT owner, it's a no brainier to reject the sport model (although RCZ1 will likely dispute this...but then she has replaced all her cloth seats with some exceptionally tidy personalised leather ones)! The finish makes the cabin a much nicer place to be and the leather seats and dash really make the car feel much "more money" (as the kids say).

Having recently had a shot of the NG4/sat nav in a demonstrator, I would say it's a great option to go for. The same applies to the "vision pack". The Xenon lights are absolutely fantastic and are one option that you really shouldn't be without.

Aesthetically I'd upgrade the alloys. The standard ones really don't compliment the car as some of the optional ones and they will really make your car stand out!! I'd recommend the Onyx Black Solstice or Midnight silver ones. I also think the mesh grille (in black) would make your car look meaner and, in time, get some quad exhausts fitted as it better balances the rear of the car. I'm a bit OCD about this but the car looks unbalanced from the rear with the twin pipes and the double bubble roof.

Options not to bother with are the JBL speaker pack. The standard ones are already outstanding and, having tested the JBL ones a few days ago, aren't worth spending the money on.

Finally what engine are you going to go for?! The diesel is reportedly great but I read that you don't do a lot of driving of your car. The 156BHP is probably the one for you but the 200BHP is that bit quicker and makes a great sound when you give it a bit of a boot.

Any questions or queries then don't hesitate to ask. The members here are endlessly knowledgeable and passionate about the RCZ...you'll find out why when you order yours...on what...Monday?! ;)

ksb

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...

All good points, I'd almost certainly go for the black alloys as i'm keen on the highly original 'all black' look... but then white with black alloys and grill appeals on some level, not sure why as I have never considered a white car.

As for the exhaust, it did make me wonder why Peugeot didn't go for symmetry on the stock vehicle, it screams 'odd'. Any after market upgrade would have to be considered with warranty in mind, I'd likely go for the 'just add fuel' deal as I'd almost certainly want a new toy within 3 years, so heavy modding is probably out of the question.

I do have another question... I'm not all that tall (about 5'9) but getting into the car is a bit of a yoga style effort, is there a trick to it? ;)

A

Anonymous

You will have to have one now. So all that has to be decided is the colour and the options. Colour would be White. Probably Pearlescent as the paint popping is a great look. Quad exhausts was once an option, but is no more, sadly. Aftermarket fit is a must and will not effect your warranty. Media package a must (sat nav) as it is a whole lot more than merely sat nav. Vision pack as mrrizzle has said. Agree with mrrizzle that the JBL is not a worthwhile option. I would have said the final must would be the sports pack as the smaller steering wheel is great but you have said that you like the larger wheel. Sports pack also includes tyre pressure sensors, which are handy.
It for me would have to be the GT as you like the techy stuff that all come as standard on the GT. As you are a low mileage user then I would stick with the 200BHP petrol version. Tell us what you order on Monday!!!!

A

Anonymous

Great minds think alike RON!! Good post!! :)

There's no real "trick to getting in" to the RCZ. I'm 6ft 1 and don't have a problem but then I have got the seat almost as far back and as low as it can go so I kinda "drop" myself into the car.

A

Anonymous

Oh and lastly, one of the sponsors and forum members, great guy/RCZperformance, offers the best choice of quad exhausts from performance exhausts that'll pop and growl nicely to the exhaust system that was part of the feline kit (no performance gains but a full system that balances the rear of the car by Zun sports) at very reasonable prices. The range can be found here:

http://shop.rczperformance.com/Exhaust_c2.htm

It's not really heavy modding and, as far as I know, adding them will only affect the warranty relating to exhaust parts.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Welcome ksb:)

You've certainly fallen on your feet !
As you have already discovered the RCZ is a great place to be.

To clear up any confusion - regardless of Sport or GT, they both come with a stitched leather dash. However, it is not real leather although you can pay extra and get extended leather option, which is real leather dash covered - but no one can tell the difference between the two ;)

The big difference between the GT and Sport are the wheels. This is how you can distinguish between the two from the exterior. I personally went for Sport because I didn't want the larger 19 inch wheels. If you want toys like auto lights, wipers, etc then that's what the GT gives you over the Sport. For me, they weren't required. The only thing I did want were leather seats, which you have said you are not really keen on so like all things, you choose what fits your requirements.

Things like Sat Nav and JBL are extras, which again are personal things but the standard stereo system is fab in the RCZ so I would suggest you save some money there :)

Lots of people have gone for the quad exhausts, I personally have not. I DO like the look if them but I have been put off having them done because I'm concerned that it is a bit of an hatchet job. It does not leave a perfectly smooth finish to the rear valance ( which you can't see from looking at it normally, but when you bend down to look, you can). It's not what I would call a "factory fit" ie made to measure.

Obviously everyone is going to give you different answers, as everyone has different opinions. Whatever you choose, you will love the RCZ and the last thing I will say is go for Pearl white - its a great colour. :)

A

Anonymous

The sport I test drove had plastic dash and fabric seats . Both GTs I've had both have leather dash & seats.

A

Anonymous

Another person who just has to have the car!! Well, you can't go wrong with Wokingham Motors. I didn't purchase my RCZ from them (think the salesman thought I was jesting when I said I didn't need finance). But, I have had my vehicles serviced there for the last 5 years and always found them to be polite and courteous. :thumbup:
I particularly like the guys on the service reception and Mark Fuller is great!
And surely then we'll have enough people in this area to have a Berkshire Meet. :D

RCZ1

Reaction score
Scott barton said:
The sport I test drove had plastic dash and fabric seats . Both GTs I've had both have leather dash & seats.

Sorry but the RCZ does not have a plastic dash! It's faux leather or extended leather. Faux leather looks like leather, even has stitching. Do you pay extra for extended leather? I was going to have my dash retrimmed to match my seats but everyone thinks its leather do I didn't bother and saved some pennies.:)

A

Anonymous

Hi i have Opal white sports version of the RCZ with an HDI engine and easy mothion pack.
Basically you have the front sensors installed, which for me they are esential to get out of my garage, and some other extras such as dipping mirrors on reverse, auto sensing whipers/lights, auto diming centre mirror etc.

The only missing parts are the leather/electrical adjustable seats and the 19 inch alloys which i am not so fond of as the road conditions here in malta are not what you call excellent. The car comes with several other extras which are standard to all models. The dash is the normal one which the GT comes out with as standard.

If we had good roads i would surely opt for 19 inch in dark flint colour.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Welcome and I can say you are making a great decision going with what will be a joy to own and drive...post photos when you have it.

Side Note: Mrizzle thank you again for your kind words :)

A

Anonymous

Welcome, in reply to Mizzle, your warranty is not affected by fitting quad exhausts, mine was organised by Puegeot group. Quads do improve the look of the car no end.

ksb

Reaction score
I am now being drawn in by the 'Amber Red' body colour!

The sport v's GT question is currently the quandary... The pros for me on the sport would be the wheel size and choice, that extra full wheel arch seems a a little more sporty (ironically). The auto lights/wiper/etc is very nice, our 307sw has all those features, but then having to turn your own lights on is not exactly a biggie ;) The price difference is 2370 quid, which would just about cover the satnav option and a set of 20" titanium wheels from Steven ;)

Does anyone have handy photos of an RCZ with 18" wheels (I'm sure there are plenty around the forum, but knowing that any pics are 18/19 or 20 is probably a tough call for a newbie)?

ksb

Reaction score
Cheers, does anyone have a pic of 18's as a comparison?

The 'red' is really growing on me ;)

A

Anonymous

With the black it makes for a good look ;-)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ksb

Reaction score
Another quick question... what is the difference between the charcoal and nero black, it kinda looks the same on the configurator?

RCZ1

Reaction score
ksb said:
Cheers, does anyone have a pic of 18's as a comparison?

The 'red' is really growing on me ;)

Here are my 18 inch alloys. There is only the one design on offer for the 18 inch, but in three different colours.

RCZ1

Reaction score
ksb said:
Another quick question... what is the difference between the charcoal and nero black, it kinda looks the same on the configurator?

Nero black is black, and charcoal is a very dark grey, which can look black but isn't. I hope that makes sense :)