What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyre wearing through wheel arch liner

peterma

Reaction score
I've got a bit of an odd problem that two Peugeot garages have failed to locate the cause of so far (might try a third soon).
When turning right my tyre is catching the middle of the wheel arch liner towards the cabin. It has managed to wear through the plastic to part of the bodywork metal, and seems to have sharpened the metal. The passenger side also appears to be catching on the wheel arch liner towards the front but luckily there's no metal behind that one.
I'm on standard 19" sortilege alloys and continental sport contact 5 tyres. The passenger side coil spring had failed, extended warranty covered it and I paid extra to get the drivers side coil spring changed at the same time. Changing these has not sorted the issue.
I have owned the car 3 and a half years, and only noticed this within the last month. The tyres are almost on the minimum, so it's only going to get worse when the new ones go on this weekend.

Anyone had anything similar and worked out the cause?
Does anyone have access to the service box suspension diagram that they could share?

Any help would be appreciated.

2retro

Reaction score
I don't know why that's happening but hopefully somebody here can help.

It doesn't look good at all from the pics though and TBH it looks pretty dangerous to drive it like that to me. :wtf:

Surely somebody at Peugeot Main Stealers should know what's going on?! Crazy!

chrismac

Reaction score
That would happen if you were using oversized tyres - but It looks like 235/40/19 in the picture. Check and make sure there are no spacers fitted on the front wheel - especially if fitted one side only.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Well that’s not right is it! It never fails to amaze me that Peugeot’s own dealers can look at something like that and stand around scratching their heads. :eusa-think: :?:

It’s not rocket science that the distance from the hub to the inner wheel arch isn’t correct. If it was, like every other Z out there, your tyre wouldn’t be wearing the wheel arch liner down, and the wheel arch liner wouldn’t be wearing the tyre down.

I’m no mechanic, but I would have thought; measure the distance from the hub centre to the inner arch, then compare that to a Z that isn’t dodgy & then work out a solution. I.e. move the wheel arch liner until it’s not making contact with the tyre edge on full lock.

I would also be wanting answers as to why it was like that in the first place, and, unless the car has had some kind of front end shunt during its lifetime, I think I would be asking for a contribution (at least) to the cost of replacement tyres.
The repair should be FOC of course.

Just sayin :eusa-whistle:

n.alex46

Reaction score
If problem has only started after spring broke and you had new springs fitted is it possible new springs are faulty or wrong type have been fitted. ( I.e petrol springs fitted to a diesel would cause car to ride too low. )
Looking at photos it looks like not there isn't enough gap between wheel and arch.

peterma

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies so far. It's definitely made me nervous taking corners at any speed. First garage said they couldn't see anything wrong, including saying they couldn't see anything wrong with the tyre that has cut marks down the edge!

Here's passenger and drivers side pictures, seems to look ok when the tyres are pointing forward.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks alright side on, what about the toe of the wheel?
Mine certainly doesn't do that amount of scrubbing, and I'm guessing from the responses neither does anyone elses.
So there must be an issue.

peterma

Reaction score
I'll get all the alignment checked when the new tyres go on and see if that uncovers anything.

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Mine just touches with 245/35/20s on the front, which have a larger rolling diameter than stock. They don't seem to touch at all when driving hard, just on slow carpark turns and not all of the time. Def hasn't worn anything away.

Weird you have this problem with stock setup. I would have guessed the tyre size was wrong, but it's not so hard to diagnose.

One thing I'd mention is that mine only started touching with the Michelin PS4S, the previous tyres (which were near new) never touched. Maybe different tyres would potentially make a difference?

To be honest though, given the tyres, wheels, suspension etc are stock, peugeot should be investigating this for you.

Best of luck locating a solution. As said above, an alignment may potentially help.

peterma

Reaction score
They couldn't find any alignment issues. It looks like the rear tyre has been catching the liner too.
The car appears to be sitting lower on the drivers side at the rear. Going to find a flat car park to check better but starting to think the drivers side rear shock could have an issue. I did have the caliper seize a few months ago, maybe that corner dragging has done some damage.

peterma

Reaction score
Took it to an independent garage who said the wishbone bushes have failed. Getting them replaced this week and hopefully it stops the rubbing. If it does I can't believe two Peugeot garages couldn't spot this; only took the independent garage around 5 minutes of looking at the car!

Johnpitter

Reaction score
Firstly, let us look at the importance of tires, which are as follows: to support the mass of your vehicle since the air and the build up force in your tire support the weight of the car plus the driver and passengers on board, to attract road shocks by reducing the effect of bumpy roads, to transmit traction and braking forces: that is providing traction when your car is moving off, provide the necessary braking when your car is coming to a stop and finally to change and maintain the direction of travel. Having understood their purpose, we will now find out why it is important to maintain them.
Thanks& regards,
John Pitter