What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Timing Chain issue - after details of people who have had it

trembler2011

Reaction score
Good morning all,

My 2011 RCZ GT 200 has the classic timing chain stretched problem at 59k miles. Been quoted £580+vat for parts and labour for the repair - seems reasonable from what I've read.

Emailed Peugeot about all of this 'common' problem and asked them for documentation on why they changed the tensioner part back in 2012 and why cars weren't recalled when they knew about the problem. They currently won't provide the reason for the change but they have confirmed the part change was on 17/8/2012. They also said it wasn't recalled because it wasn't a safety issue. I've since found three tech bulletins from other manufacturers (BMW, VW and Mitsubishi) who all recalled cars. VW and BMW were voluntarily it appears but the Mitsubishi one started in 11/2/15 went through the DVSA so appears to have been due to a 'safety issue' with the 'concern' listed as "engine may stall" in the worst case that the chain breaks.

I'd like to start getting details of owners who'd had the problem (starting on here), what mileage etc.

Has anyone on here also got any documentation to say why they changed the tensioner part? That would really help me.

My plan is to just pay for the repair for now but also pursue Peugeot on behalf of everyone who's had this problem. I'm no lawyer but I'm quite good at getting stroppy and complaining - once got £1000 of work done by Dulux over three £20 tins of paint (quite proud of that complaint! lol). There was a class action against VW this year in the US for their tensioner problem and it's very likely to result in payouts back to owners.

Thanks

Chris

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Timing Chain Stretch - who has had the problem?

Hi Chris, I had to have my timing chain tensioner and guides changed at 17k and even though my car had documented history because the services were not from Peugeot dealers Peugeot didn’t want to know even though they knew of the problem with the timing kits.
I have the bills to prove mileage and parts replaced by Peugeot dealer.
Good luck with the complaint £580 should include the VAT that’s what I paid.

French Letter

Reaction score

Yes happened to me also. Timing goes out.

Replaced a full set: chain, sprockets, guide, tensioner, etc on the 207cc Sport (THP150) at 100,000 kilometres.

Also recently I replaced the O2 sensors, two of them, and the fuel economy improved by 20%

Cheers.

trembler2011

Reaction score

Thanks to those who've answered so far - need more people if anyone knows anyone on here or knows of other forums to post to?

I contacted the DVSA yesterday to get more details on the Mitsubishi recall which is detailed here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls ... x=0.860943 and whether they think that the THP engines should have been recalled for the same reason.

I've also contacted Peugeot again to ask if, in the worst case that the chain breaks, whether the 'engine may stall' - using the exact words on the Mitsubishi recall.

For those not aware of the US class action against VW/Audi - that's detailed here - http://websterbook.com/class-actions-fi ... n-systems/

trembler2011

Reaction score

Forgot to add - my bill will be £600 including VAT for the repair - being done over the next week. Looking forward to having the RCZ back!

wilsofar

Reaction score

Oh yes!
Bought (privately) a 156 which had full chain set replaced at 78k.

I bought at 98k and after a short trouble free period had to have it replaced at 99k after EML activated -out of any time or mileage warranty.

Both done by different main dealers.

As there was an oil leak at the same time the total bill was £1200 !

Subsequent to that I have replaced coil packs ,plugs ,battery and HPFP.

I wonder if the previous codes were activated by a failing HPFP not a failing timing chain -I will never know.

However I now have (after 6 months) a reliable Z.

Callum2901

Reaction score

Forgot to add - my bill will be £600 including VAT for the repair - being done over the next week. Looking forward to having the RCZ back!
Where did you get this done?

Kerr

Reaction score
Where did you get this done?
Google Peugeot fixed priced servicing.

According to their online pricing they'll do a timing chain for £399.

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Chain will not break what occurs is the maximum amount of stretch is 68 mm when this happens the tensioner has stiffened up tight through wear thus chain can run slack but it will break off the upper guide rail into small pieces & is washed into the sump if your unlucky the other issue is the timing becomes badly affected & this will in turn cause engine stalling due to the ECU shutting all the systems down as it cannot configure fuel air ratios & cam/crank position timing etc

Jumper

Reaction score
Mine was done at 47K by previous owner and the documents came with my car to prove it. During my ownership I changed the rocker cover gasket and looked at the guides and chain. They all looked fine no wear on guides no chain slack or engine light the car ran great but I replaced the Tensioner anyway. To be honest Im glad I did the old one had poor pressure compared to the new one plus it had a slight leak! The replacement was identical to the old one. I'll post a pic if I can find it.

Attachments

• Tensioner.jpg
    Tensioner.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 13

Ian J.

Reaction score
Mine had new chain at 31k and 5 years old
Was paid for under warranty but seem to recall the garage saying they had charged the warranty company about £1000 inc new guides.

Woodso

Reaction score
Peugeot fixed price service say "Timing Belt" £399.00. My suspicions are raised when it says Belt not Chain. Is it one and the same, or a rather expensive charge to change a £13.00 rubber belt.

Kerr

Reaction score
Peugeot fixed price service say "Timing Belt" £399.00. My suspicions are raised when it says Belt not Chain. Is it one and the same, or a rather expensive charge to change a £13.00 rubber belt.

It doesn't appear to be very accurate.

I tried my car. Front discs and pads for the R are £199. :)

Someone should book something and see if they honour the prices.

Woodso

Reaction score
It doesn't appear to be very accurate.

I tried my car. Front discs and pads for the R are £199. :)

Someone should book something and see if they honour the prices.
Go on you take the plunge, argue that they stick to the quoted price, contract and all that.

Pedro

Reaction score
When you change the chain it means installing the whole kit the guides etc if the camshaft pullies are worn these have to be changed as is recommended plus they may also change the water pump depending on its lifespan assuming they do the job properly whoever is doing the work?

Anonymous

Reaction score
I had my timing chain replaced just at the weekend. The price was higher because it’s a chain and not a belt.
the price range from various independent garages were £350 ......£395 , £450 and top price was £495 so I’m actually impressed with Peugeot’s quote!

Pedro

Reaction score
I had my timing chain replaced just at the weekend. The price was higher because it’s a chain and not a belt.
the price range from various independent garages were £350 ......£395 , £450 and top price was £495 so I’m actually impressed with Peugeot’s quote!
May we assume that was just a chain kit? If the Engine is in the upper high mileage range it is recommended to change both camshaft pulleys + VVTI valve + water pump so for arguments sake a chain kit may cost around £175-200 depending on the make & for both pulleys let say around £230 VVTI valve £40 water pump £40 so to do a proper changeover you should be looking around £1500-2000 if your lucky depending on where you get the work done

Anonymous

Reaction score
Correct this was just the full timing chain Kit. Not that high miles so didn’t need the full works just yet.