What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Timing Chain Broke - write off?

GaryLarry

Reaction score
Unfortunately my 2013 1.6 RCZ's timing chain broke mid-drive which meant I coasted to a stop and had to be towed. The engine is being stripped down to discover just how much damage has been done.

Thing is, IF the damage is hefty, then a new head and re-fixing etc. will be an enormous expense and, by all accounts, it'll be a new engine or lots of labour etc. The car is worth £6k 'on the books', probably less selling privately.

My speculative question is: If I decide not to repair it at great cost and use that cash to contribute to a new car (which I was due) what are the sale options for an RCZ that's not running? Parts etc.? Or your general thoughts on the situation please... :beer:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi sorry to hear of your problems, how do you know the chain has snapped? Did you have any warning signs before it went? Noisy on start up or anything like that?
I would have thought it would probably be worth as is 2k-2.5k :thumbdown:

GaryLarry

Reaction score
Yes, having trawled this forum I can see similarities over the noisy 'chattering' on start up and until the engine warmed up which is what I had experienced.

The garage confirmed the chain has broken, I'm waiting to hear their assessment on damage overall after they've disassembled the engine head. I think I'd have to swallow a £3k cost of fixing (if that's what it will take) but I don't know what the process of selling a car that's not running for any sort of cash - what are those options?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
You could always put a secondhand motor in or try selling on eBay

DKZ5745

Reaction score
There are occasionally RCZ,s “breaking for spares” on EBay, but they are usually sold off in individual parts, bumpers, wind mirrors etc.

I assume you wouldn’t want the hassle of selling your car in bits over a period of months and being left with whatever was left.

If you advertise it as it is you might well get a breakers yard interested in it as they would be happy to dismantle it and sell off the individual parts for a tidy profit.

You could also google breakers yards in your area and contact them directly and see what kind of Money they would be willing to offer.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Take the opportunity to get a more powerful secondhand engine fitted.
this is a tricky situation and I feel your pain, do I plough another £3k into what is already a car which was worth £6k, or do I take the £3k and put it to another car?
I think knowing breakers etc, that you will be lucky to get a grand. Selling broken down cars on ebay - well you get nowt for em, plus then they have to move it. It's such a shame, you have to way up is it in good fettle apart from the obvious? do you think something else might go wrong with it? bare in mind if you put another engine in, hopefully that'll be that for a quite a while repairs wise.
I'm sorry for your plight but good luck which ever you decide.

Nemi

Reaction score
What was the mileage of your RCZ when chain broke?