What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Time To Replace The Factory Fitted Stereo...

2retro

Reaction score
As you may be aware from a previous post [http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12653] my Bluetooth gave up the ghost. Since that stopped working and the original bog standard factory fitted RD4 stereo was pretty ancient anyway by now I thought it was time for a change. :eusa-think:

I debated replacing it with the double DIN set-up that most others go for but, never one to make things easy for myself, I ultimately decided on a different route...

Not going to lie, it was a bit of a ball-ache to get it all installed and seated in the right place (OkeyStokey's post here helped immensely: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12894 :clap: ) but I got there in the end and I'm very happy with the results.

Now have Bluetooth back (WooHoo!) + SatNav, DVD, CD, SDCard, USB, etc. with a sweet motorized HD screen - all controlled by steering wheel stalk. Also was able to keep all the original car functions that used to be accessed through the old RD4 stereo Menu button (Clock, Diagnostics, etc.) as they're now controlled by the steering wheel buttons too. :dance:

The only thing I lost was the reversing beeps but I'm OK with that considering the trade off!

Some pics (with bonus fingerprint marks on screen, etc.!):

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 1,773
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 1,765
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 1,755
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,765
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 1,768

2retro

Reaction score

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,659
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 1,661
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,662
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 1,661
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 1,661

Plecodoras

Reaction score
That's a nice unit Rich,

I fancied one of those slide out screens for my 307cc but we just never managed to get it on !!

I think a beemer caught her eye and that was that.

Seriously well done, any chance you can post a parts list to show everyone how you got it all to work.

Did you have the sat nav unit already or the curved info screen?

Cheers M.. :thumbup:

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
It does look like a nice unit, and I am envious that your canbus decoder works properly (isn't giving messages on screen) :twisted:
I wonder if I fitted that decoder it would work :eusa-think:

Can you still access the hazard buttons etc. with the screen up, or does it have to retract? Just curious.

2retro

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

The crucial part of the equation here is the CTSPG007.2AA Connects2 lead which fits between head unit and car wiring harness (http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSPG007.2AA) to make it all work seamlessly. No error messages on screen or anything like that, it all just works as it should. The only difference is you now access and scroll though the old clock setting, interior lighting, etc. menus using the steering wheel controls instead.

I didn't have Sat-Nav before as only have the little curved info screen on dash so this is a nice step up. Came with full maps for the whole of Europe too which was a bonus (not that I'll be using many others than the UK though).

If you want to press the hazard button you can either retract the screen by pressing the steering wheel button or tilt it forward by using the adjustment buttons on the front of the stereo.

There are also ports at the back to add rear parking camera, DAB radio antenna and TV tuner if you want to. I'm still finding out new stuff, like when I receive a call via bluetooth now I hear my actual ringtone through the speakers rather than a standard tone like before.

Kudos to all of you who have fitted a double-DIN unit by the way because there's not much space behind there for all these cables and connectors as it is! lol :crazy:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
That does look really nice Richard. :thumbup: :clap:

I’m wondering what (if anything) I would end up with on my sat nav screen if I did the same upgrade as you?

2retro

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
I’m wondering what (if anything) I would end up with on my sat nav screen if I did the same upgrade as you?

That I do not know, Pete... Not having the original factory sat-nav function before I don't really know enough about how it works really. Presumably the maps are stored on the factory stereo so would be lost when removed I guess? But you would use the new sat-nav instead.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
That’s what I thought. Never having looked behind the RT6 I don’t even know if the flip up screen gets its power directly from the head unit. If so, I guess it would simply stay flat once the head unit was replaced. Not a result I would want.

Maybe I’ll leave it for now, never listen to the thing anyway :lol:

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
2retro said:
The crucial part of the equation here is the CTSPG007.2AA Connects2 lead which fits between head unit and car wiring harness

Are you sure your unit was an RD4? Mine was an RD5.
Only reason I ask is I contacted "connects2" to see if they could advise on swapping the canbus or whatever to correct my few annoying faults, and I got;

Unfortunately our steering control interfaces are not compatible with vehicles with the RD5 radio.

Also our steering control interface / CAN-Bus interface is designed to work with the vehicle and no with any specific radio so functionally of some aspects of the radio would be lost and our interface would act as a standard steering control interface.

Unfortunately our interface would not be compatible with your vehicle or with the type of radio that you are fitting.

Seems a bit dismissive to me :wtf:

2retro

Reaction score
OkeyStokey said:
2retro said:
The crucial part of the equation here is the CTSPG007.2AA Connects2 lead which fits between head unit and car wiring harness

Are you sure your unit was an RD4? Mine was an RD5.
Only reason I ask is I contacted "connects2" to see if they could advise on swapping the canbus or whatever to correct my few annoying faults, and I got;

Unfortunately our steering control interfaces are not compatible with vehicles with the RD5 radio.

Also our steering control interface / CAN-Bus interface is designed to work with the vehicle and no with any specific radio so functionally of some aspects of the radio would be lost and our interface would act as a standard steering control interface.

Unfortunately our interface would not be compatible with your vehicle or with the type of radio that you are fitting.

Seems a bit dismissive to me :wtf:
Wow, he was a bit arsey. Must have been having a bad day!

I'm not sure what the RD5 looks like but this is a picture of the original stereo that I removed (which I *thought* was an RD4 but now I'm not sure!). Is this the same as yours? :eusa-think:

Attachments

• old_rd4_stereo.jpg
    old_rd4_stereo.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 1,470

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
Yep, thats the same.

So it seems they are talking out of their a##e :eusa-think:

Might point him to this thread for some education maybe?

Cheers

Attachments

• rd5-2.jpg
    rd5-2.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 1,425

PugPersson

Reaction score
I just bought myself a 2012 RCZ, and been looking for different options to replace the outdated head unit. But my car has the JBL sound system and it seems that most aftermarket head units don't support the JBL sound system.
Did u do this with JBL sound system or is it the normal speakers?

Very nice install btw looks real neet :)

2retro

Reaction score
PugPersson said:
I just bought myself a 2012 RCZ, and been looking for different options to replace the outdated head unit. But my car has the JBL sound system and it seems that most aftermarket head units don't support the JBL sound system.
Did u do this with JBL sound system or is it the normal speakers?

Very nice install btw looks real neet :)

Thanks. You're right about the JBL speakers apparently not being supported by some. Mine are just the standard ones so it wasn't an issue for me though. Think it must be something to do with the amp maybe?

PugPersson

Reaction score
Ye from what I gathered it's something to do with the power that is needed for the speakers being different. But I haven't gone any deeper into this. Thinking about ways to get around it, maybe able to use a second amp or replace the speakers. We'll see what and if I do anything about it. Don't know how much time and money I want to put into it. :eusa-think:

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
OkeyStokey said:
So it seems they are talking out of their a##e :eusa-think:

Well I may just have to take that back :oops:

I have just looked at the sticker on my oem head unit and it is an RD45 :crazy:

Still pursuing connects2 in the hope they can talk to an RD45!

Attachments

• RD45.JPG
    RD45.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 1,345

2retro

Reaction score
I'll see if there's a sticker on mine and let you know what model it says later. Watch this space...!

2retro

Reaction score
OK, so I just looked at the sticker on my old factory stereo... and, yes, it's exactly the same as yours: RD45! :eusa-think:

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
Cheers for that!

What is still weird is the latest response from connects2.

From the images sent it appears that our steering control interface could be compatible with your vehicle BUT our interface will not give you any more functions that you already have. Our interface will NOT retain phone buttons for the steering controls and our interface and it would not work in the APP screen.

Unfortunately our interface will not give you any more functions that you currently have.

So I just don't think they want to sell me anything :lol:

2retro

Reaction score
OkeyStokey said:
From the images sent it appears that our steering control interface could be compatible with your vehicle BUT our interface will not give you any more functions that you already have. Our interface will NOT retain phone buttons for the steering controls and our interface and it would not work in the APP screen.

Unfortunately our interface will not give you any more functions that you currently have.
Well that is accurate as the whole point of the Connects2 lead is to keep the existing functions that were accessed through the original stereo by moving them to the steering wheel stalk, and that does work correctly for me.

However, my stereo also gives you the option to code whatever buttons you want to your steering wheel control stalk on top of that (see pic below). In reality there are only 5 buttons you can use on that stalk so I chose the ones I use most:

Volume Up / Volume Down / Next Track Skip / Previous Track Skip (all same buttons as we are all used to) and Stereo On/Off on the button on the end of the stalk (previously Answer Call/End Call).

I could have choosen to have Answer Call/End Call there instead but I don't use that nearly as much so using the buttons on screen for that is no big deal to me.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• code screen.jpg
    code screen.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,306